Sponsored

No Rear Caliper Dust Boots - OK For Track Day?

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I’m headed to the track this Sunday and had some work done on my brakes today. My rear caliper dust boots were torn so badly they had to be removed to push the rear pistons in after swapping in new brake pads.

I’m planning to either rebuild the calipers or install new ones, but I don’t have time before the track on Sunday.

Is it too risky to track the car for one day? Or is there really no issue unless there’s been gunk building up over time?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
As long as your pads are in good shape. If you have less than 30% pad left I wouldn’t
I’m curious though, why would that change things?

More brake dust from worn pads?

Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
I’m headed to the track this Sunday and had some work done on my brakes today. My rear caliper dust boots were torn so badly they had to be removed to push the rear pistons in after swapping in new brake pads.

I’m planning to either rebuild the calipers or install new ones, but I don’t have time before the track on Sunday.

Is it too risky to track the car for one day? Or is there really no issue unless there’s been gunk building up over time?
Here's some good news and bad news. First, they don't sell rebuild kits for the rear calipers! They don't sell boots either. The boots burn off really fast on the track. Ford told me I had to buy new calipers - but the calipers are cheap. I'm cheaper. Ran for two years with rear boots burned off. No problems at all. Whether this would work on a daily driver, I don't know. You could have a piston freeze, but if you track your car, you will be in there often and keeping things reasonably clean. Should be no problem!

Best,
<TED>

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some good news and bad news. First, they don't sell rebuild kits for the rear calipers! They don't sell boots either. The boots burn off really fast on the track. Ford told me I had to buy new calipers - but the calipers are cheap. I'm cheaper. Ran for two years with rear boots burned off. No problems at all. Whether this would work on a daily driver, I don't know. You could have a piston freeze, but if you track your car, you will be in there often and keeping things reasonably clean. Should be no problem!

Best,
<TED>
This is great news, and exactly what I was hoping! Thank you.

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP