Sponsored

Auxiliary power port question (can't call it a cigarette lighter any more!)

Seesnax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but I thought I would start here.

2016 EB Premium, automatic. Does anyone know how the cigarette lighter port (in front of the gear selector) power works?

I have a radar detector plugged in to that port, and I leave it plugged in 24/7. I drive to work in the morning, lock the car in the parking lot, come back out 8-10 hours later, drive home, and park the car unlocked in the garage. Sometimes (most times?) when I turn the car on, either at work or in the garage, the radar detector comes right on. Occasionally, it does not come on and I have to manually push the power button.

There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it comes on vs. when it doesn't. Is power to that power port automatically cut when the car is turned off and the door is opened? And then it is automatically re-energized when you turn the car on? If so, how do you explain the radar detector shutting off completely sometimes?

It should be noted that my radar detector has an auto-shutoff feature that will automatically power it down after about 6 hours, and you have to manually turn it back on. But if this were the issue, I would have to turn it on every time I start the car. :shrug:

Confused.... :crazy:
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
In general American cars leave the lighter circuit powered up 24/7 unless the fuse blows...not sure about the 'stang, but I always seem to see the LED lit up on my cell phone charger that's plugged into mine.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
In general American cars leave the lighter circuit powered up 24/7 unless the fuse blows...not sure about the 'stang, but I always seem to see the LED lit up on my cell phone charger that's plugged into mine.
Even with the car turned off?

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
The PP is not always on. It comes to life when you open the door (and of course when the ACC is on) and remains alive for around 10 minutes after you shut down. This latter state survives door locking.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
From the owner's manual.

"Run the vehicle for full capacity use of the
power point. To prevent the battery from
discharging accidentally:

• Do not use the power point longer than
necessary when the vehicle is not
running.
• Do not leave devices plugged in
overnight or when you park your vehicle
for extended periods.

Note: If used when the vehicle is not
running, the battery will discharge. There
may be insufficient power to restart your
vehicle."

Sounds like 24/7 to me.

Sponsored

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
From the factory it has a timeout on the power outlet after turning the car off. This can be adjusted using FORSCAN.

Travis Rhoads

Threads
Reaction score
Website
travisrhoadsphoto.smugmug.com
First Name
Travis Rhoads
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT-Premium-PP-50th
dragging up an old thread...the search function to the rescue...I have been trying to figure this out for a week now...and hadn't had time...

The PP is not always on. It comes to life when you open the door (and of course when the ACC is on) and remains alive for around 10 minutes after you shut down. This latter state survives door locking.
It seems that it does turn off...my dashcam seems to be off now, but it was on for a while after the car was turned off...

From the owner's manual.

"Run the vehicle for full capacity use of the
power point. To prevent the battery from
discharging accidentally:

• Do not use the power point longer than
necessary when the vehicle is not
running.
• Do not leave devices plugged in
overnight or when you park your vehicle
for extended periods.

Note: If used when the vehicle is not
running, the battery will discharge. There
may be insufficient power to restart your
vehicle."

Sounds like 24/7 to me.
This is what has me concerned about a dead battery in the am...

From the factory it has a timeout on the power outlet after turning the car off. This can be adjusted using FORSCAN.
I will really test it at a time that I have a reliable jump start in the morning if its dead! Most days my wife leaves home before I do...

Glad I found this thread.
Sponsored