2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I like the fact that when you get out of a GT350R and GT350, all that have driven one know what I'm talking about... you just smile and say "hell yeah".
its one hell of a fun car to drive. THATS the precise reason the media gives it props.
It just never gets old.
It's a total experience. I dont care if it's a few seconds behind a brutal ride, +125hp ugly car! why would anyone.
The apples to apples will be coming up soon...
then after that it will be electrics with mind blowing torque and AWD.
Sponsored

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
What's going on in the wheel in that picture? Does the brake caliper take up the entire inside of the wheel, or what am I seeing here?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Spool valve dampers (with simple camber adjustment), battery in the trunk, front tow hook, Performance Data Recorder, more elaborate lightweighting...GM has been a bit more serious in terms of hardware and Ford is playing catchup (witness Ford's late to the game decision to incorporate rev matching well after GM had it on the Camaro). Again, aside from potential FI cooling issues, the ZL1-1LE is a much more hardcore effort than the R model. Ford has an opportunity with the GT500 to take the lead and as I said they will either compromise with one car or show how serious they are if they choose to also offer a track duty beast. Time will tell.
More hardcore doesn't = a better car. I do wish the GT350 and R had tow hooks from the factory.

The other stuff you mentioned I don't really care about, I think Ford did an amazing job with the GT350 and R, and most other people agree. It is still not easy to buy one without an ADM, even 3 years after initial release. The ZL1 1LE is much less in demand.

IMO Chevy is playing catch up, if they were in the lead they would be selling more Camaros than Ford sells Mustangs.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
More hardcore doesn't = a better car. I do wish the GT350 and R had tow hooks from the factory.

The other stuff you mentioned I don't really care about, I think Ford did an amazing job with the GT350 and R, and most other people agree. It is still not easy to buy one without an ADM, even 3 years after initial release. The ZL1 1LE is much less in demand.

IMO Chevy is playing catch up, if they were in the lead they would be selling more Camaros than Ford sells Mustangs.
Haha! Couldn’t you say the same thing sales numbers don’t = a better car. why get so caught up in sales numbers, profit is all that matters to the company. Camaro shares much more with Other GM vehicles I bet there profit margins are better. Obviously we’ll never know the truth about the companies profits per car. Also because the Corvette exist there’s a lot of sales lost for the Camaro.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Haha! Couldn’t you say the same thing sales numbers don’t = a better car. why get so caught up in sales numbers, profit is all that matters to the company. Camaro shares much more with Other GM vehicles I bet there profit margins are better. Obviously we’ll never know the truth about the companies profits per car. Also because the Corvette exist there’s a lot of sales lost for the Camaro.
Sales numbers mean that people like the car enough to buy it. If Chevy has a large profit margin, maybe they should lower the price of the car to get some more sales. I don't think Chevy actually has a large profit margin. Otherwise they would have lowered the price much more.

If Corvette was so great I would have bought one instead of my Mustang. I certainly could have spent less on a 'vette than I did on my GT350.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Sales numbers mean that people like the car enough to buy it. If Chevy has a large profit margin, maybe they should lower the price of the car to get some more sales. I don't think Chevy actually has a large profit margin. Otherwise they would have lowered the price much more.

If Corvette was so great I would have bought one instead of my Mustang. I certainly could have spent less on a 'vette than I did on my GT350.
Interesting to see a Corvette owner who decides to chime in on a Mustang forum explaining the virtues of a Camaro and then goes on to say that profit margins are all that counts when it comes to high performance vehicles.

Spoken like a true automotive enthusiast.

The reason the Mustang continues to outsell its Pony Car competition namely Camaro and Challenger by a large margin is largely due to body design and style.

Camaro has been an ugly design for many years now with those squinty windows and a big hulky body. Pretty much the same for the Challenger.

There is a reason that the Z28's in recent years and now the ZL1's are discounted in price each year and it is due largely due to their ugly design of body proportion when it comes to metal versus glass. Put a GT350/R right beside a ZL1 Camaro and not hard to decide which is a much better looking automobile.

If GM was smart they would bring back the Firebird and start out with a clean slate after which time they may have a chance to match the sales numbers of Mustang.

I could be wrong but Mustang not out sell both Camaro and Corvette in combined sales volumes last August and obviously a good reason for that.

:clap:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

The point is not simply that a more hardcore car is a better car. You are missing the context. Again, Ford will either offer a one car compromise or they will offer two - a "mundane" version and a far more track oriented car. GM chose to do the latter and I laud them for the effort. That said, in terms of pure track performance, the ZL1-1LE is quite a bit more serious than Ford's effort and the hardware speaks for itself. Your comments that the GT350 is "amazing" and that "most other people agree" ignore the actual content and instead are focused on emotion. I'm pointing out what is beneath the superficial, and it is glitter-free.

Sales numbers are interesting to study and talk about. I'm not equating either in terms of the volumes that are moved by their respective manufacturer but rather am simply recognizing who is serving up the more serious track ready ride. I don't know how else to lay this out for you but Ford is and has been playing follow the leader and I've commented on why that is. My interest lies in the engineering behind the performance, void of fluff. There are quite a few that want something beyond a pretty parade car that goes fast in a straight line and are interested in a track day monster. If that's the case, you are going to see a lot of influence from the ZL1 along with a big case of the unexpected.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500

very well said.to me the CRAPMARO is junk,and thats why people dont want to buy it.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The point is not simply that a more hardcore car is a better car. You are missing the context. Again, Ford will either offer a one car compromise or they will offer two - a "mundane" version and a far more track oriented car. GM chose to do the latter and I laud them for the effort. That said, in terms of pure track performance, the ZL1-1LE is quite a bit more serious than Ford's effort and the hardware speaks for itself. Your comments that the GT350 is "amazing" and that "most other people agree" ignore the actual content and instead are focused on emotion. I'm pointing out what is beneath the superficial, and it is glitter-free.

Sales numbers are interesting to study and talk about. I'm not equating either in terms of the volumes that are moved by their respective manufacturer but rather am simply recognizing who is serving up the more serious track ready ride. I don't know how else to lay this out for you but Ford is and has been playing follow the leader and I've commented on why that is. My interest lies in the engineering behind the performance, void of fluff. There are quite a few that want something beyond a pretty parade car that goes fast in a straight line and are interested in a track day monster. If that's the case, you are going to see a lot of influence from the ZL1 along with a big case of the unexpected.
Right!

Ford has been playing follow the lead for the last ~10 years with the likes of cars such as the GT500 in 2007, the Boss 302 in 2012, the 662 HP GT500 in 2013, the GT350 and R models in 2015, along with the Ford GT in 2017 let alone the Raptors, Focus RS and the list goes on.

Where was GM and Chevrolet back in 2006 when the 2007 GT500 launched along with the 662 HP 2013 version and also when the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca launched in February 2011? Not even close who lead the pack on the Pony car wars over the last 10 years.

Chevrolet has been playing catch up for a long time including the 2014/2015 Camaro Z28. Was that Pony car ever a tremendous sales success with discounted pricing just to get them off their lots.

If the ZL1 was such a great sales and driving experience success whey are the dealerships discounting the selling price the car. Obviously people like Randy Pobst and numerous others like him that prefer the total package of the GT350R over the ZL1 but in your world their opinion does not hold much water.

Not sure what your definition is for "playing following the leader " but certainly not the same as myself or the many car buddies that I hang out with.

BTW, if you already have all of the performance facts, figures and data for the upcoming GT500 how about sharing that will all of us as I for one am interested as to whether they are serving up a parade car as you suggest and/or a serious track car as in the GT350R.

Unless you have all of the performance answers and data which you obviously don't I suggest that we wait and see what Ford has to offer instead of a lot of your speculation which means absolutely nothing at this point.

:sunglasses:

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

You're not wrong about the equipment in the ZL1 being more track focused. I think the point is that most prospective buyers of these special edition versions of the Mustang or Camaro (even ones who do track their cars a handful/several times a year) are not interested in something that hardcore and prefer the GT350/GT350R or even SS 1LE (much more compliant and livable) to the ZL1 1LE. No one is doubting the performance of the ZL1 1LE, but rather stating that choices will be made whether or not going to that level of racecar for a street vehicle is in Ford's best interest. For selling cars that have and keep high value, maybe not.

Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Right!

Ford has been playing follow the lead for the last ~10 years with the likes of cars such as the GT500 in 2007, the Boss 302 in 2012, the 662 HP GT500 in 2013, the GT350 and R models in 2015, along with the Ford GT in 2017 let alone the Raptors, Focus RS and the list goes on.

Where was GM and Chevrolet back in 2006 when the 2007 GT500 launched along with the 662 HP 2013 version and also when the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca launched in February 2011? Not even close who lead the pack on the Pony car wars over the last 10 years.

Chevrolet has been playing catch up for a long time including the 2015/2016 Camaro Z28. What that Pony car ever a tremendous sales success with discounted pricing just to get them off their lots.

If the ZL1 was such a great sales and driving experience success whey are the dealerships discounting the selling price the car. Obviously people like Randy Pobst and numerous others like him that prefer the total package of the GT350R over the ZL1 but in your world their opinion does not hold much water.

Not sure what your definition is for "playing following the leader " but certainly not the same as myself or the many car buddies that I hang out with.

BTW, if you already have all of the performance facts, figures and data for the upcoming GT500 how about sharing that will all of us as I for one am interested as to whether they are serving up a parade car as you suggest and/or a serious track car as in the GT350R.

Unless you have all of the performance answers and data which you obviously don't I suggest that we wait and see what Ford has to offer instead of a lot of your speculation which means absolutely nothing at this point.

Where was Garbage Motors when the track focused 2000 Cobra R came out?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You completely missed the point and couldn't be further from the context of the premise I put forward. Nice try though.

You're not wrong about the equipment in the ZL1 being more track focused.....No one is doubting the performance of the ZL1 1LE, but rather stating that choices will be made whether or not going to that level of racecar for a street vehicle is in Ford's best interest. For selling cars that have and keep high value, maybe not.
Therein lies the rub. Does Ford offer a car that will outperform the ZL1-1LE or do they play it safe, compromise, and offer something more mild mannered? My sense is the latter but my hope is the car can be configured in a fashion that makes it the most serious track-ready effort to date. Two versions would solve that dilemma. As to sales, at the volume for these typical models from Ford, they'll sell every single one.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
You completely missed the point and couldn't be further from the context of the premise I put forward. Nice try though.

Therein lies the rub. Does Ford offer a car that will outperform the ZL1-1LE or do they play it safe, compromise, and offer something more mild mannered? My sense is the latter but my hope is the car can be configured in a fashion that makes it the most serious track-ready effort to date. Two versions would solve that dilemma. As to sales, at the volume for these typical models from Ford, they'll sell every single one.
Based on Ford's recent history with respect to their high performance offerings of Mustangs I will suggest that not only will they offer a streetable version of the GT500 but will also offer a much more track oriented version (GT500R) just as they did with the launch of the Boss 302 cars in February, 2011 with the Laguna Seca model and also with the GT350 program in July, 2015 whereby they launched the limited R model to the tune of just some 2134 cars to date. Not sure of the timing for the GT500R but we can expect one without question.

With that being the case I will suggest that your hopes will be met.:clap:

With respect to sale volumes for the 2019/2020 GT500 I don't expect Ford to assemble 10,844 cars just as they did back in their first year of production back in 2007 but as you mentioned whatever the production volumes in their first year they will sell every single GT500.

Between the GT350/R, GT500/R, all other Mustang models and the Continental production FR is going to be a very busy assembly plant next Spring and Summer!

:like:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP0001 said:
With that being the case I will suggest that your hopes will be met.
I'll be honest here, I'm aiming low in terms of expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised. I let me GT350 go last year in order to be in position to order a GT500. I have a great dealer lined up and we have an agreement for MSRP with me getting his first allocation. I know exactly what I want to see available in terms of options or packages. I just hope Ford steps up to the plate and is serious about taking this car to the next level. The moment Ford decides to introduce it I'll be studying the car very carefully to see what they have or haven't addressed.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I'll be honest here, I'm aiming low in terms of expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised. I let me GT350 go last year in order to be in position to order a GT500. I have a great dealer lined up and we have an agreement for MSRP with me getting his first allocation. I know exactly what I want to see available in terms of options or packages. I just hope Ford steps up to the plate and is serious about taking this car to the next level. The moment Ford decides to introduce it I'll be studying the car very carefully to see what they have or haven't addressed.
Without knowing all of the details in terms of exactly what you are looking for in the GT500 I would suggest that you will be most pleasantly surprised when the car is launched.

I get the feeling that you are gearing more to a most capable track car whereas myself being up in age and having tracked vehicles since the early 80's I would be more centered around a combination of street and track.

In any case I will not be purchasing one of these great cars but if I was interested here is a list of important aspects (in no particular order) of the car that would be key to me and suggest that you could easily add to my list.

Power to weight ratio
Transmission choices if any
Wheel and tire size front and rear
Drive shaft - Steel, aluminum or CF (1 or 2 piece)
Wheel compound
Tire compound
Brake size front and rear
Four seat car or rear seat delete (I am bullish on 2 seat Mustangs of any year)
Final drive ratio
Steering ratio
Adjustable suspension
Performance upgrade options
Color and stripe options
Price

Outstanding that you have an agreement in place for an MSRP deal and for the first allocation for your dealership.:like:

If there is a GT500R model available during the initial launch I would encourage you to take a serious look at that model versus a base GT500 as I expect a significant difference in track performance if that is your ultimate goal?

As mentioned I personally am very bullish on 2 seat Mustangs and was very fortunate to purchase one of the very last 920A Base cars that was built this last April and it will be transported from my buddies garage to me within the next few weeks and can't wait to get her home.

I wish you good luck and hope that the upcoming GT500/GT500R meets all that you are looking for!

:)
DSCF2399.JPG
DSCF2392.JPG
Sponsored