Sponsored

Think of going to 20 inch

VUDU CHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
so I’ve been looking & cant find a tread about what’s a good tires choice mostly warm weather driving. Also if anyone can chime in on pros & cons of moving up. Or stay with 19 & lowering the car....
Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
From my experience with building 20" setups thus far I cannot say there are a lot of negatives associated with it, but here are some things to consider.

Wheel Sizing
The wheel wells/fenders of the S550 platform and GT350 handle a 20" wheel very well. You can run a 20x11 / 20x11.5 setup without any major issues. The most concern I have ever come across from anyone using a 20" setup was a slight rub of the front tire to the fender liner at full lock. This concern can be addressed by running a tire with a lower side wall, reducing the front wheel width, or lowering the offset to give more inboard clearance. Depending on your needs and driving habits you have options. I currently have a 20x11 / 20x11.5 setup that does not rub at any point in the turning radius, but I also have a 25 series tire.

Lowering
Having built 20" setups for several GT350's lowered on the FP springs there are similar options here as well. The FP springs are slightly lower than the OEM GT350R setup. Running an OEM GT350 or GT350R sized wheel in the front should keep you out of trouble anywhere if the offset, widths, and tire selection are all working well together. Point is that you have options here as well.

Tire Options
Currently almost any tire size produced in a 19" can also be found in a 20". These wouldn't really be a limiting factory anymore than they would be if you stayed 19". Pricing of the tires is pretty similar as well.

Aesthetics
20's look amazing on the car with a little low. DO IT

Track Use
If you are planning to buy a 20" setup then I think your primary use would be on the street. You could also track the setup if it is built correctly and you use an appropriate tire. In our Signature Wheel setups the weight difference is negligible at about 1-3 lbs for the same given wheel in a 19". The real concern is that you have adequate tire to ensure the rim stays protected as the tire rolls during cornering. Otherwise you can buy some Sport Cup 2 tires and have at it.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
VUDU CHILD

VUDU CHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yup 50 that pretty much nailed it. Thanks bud

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
so I’ve been looking & cant find a tread about what’s a good tires choice mostly warm weather driving. Also if anyone can chime in on pros & cons of moving up. Or stay with 19 & lowering the car....
I’ve done both. Really wish I had listened to that little voice when I ordered 19”. Going 20 crossed my mind and within 6 months 20’s were ordered. Tire selection in either diameter can be a little limited if staying with the correct sizes but people do run quite a variety of different sizes. At least that was my own experience after much searching. Tires also depend greatly on intended usage. For a purely street driven car it’s a little easier to choose compared to track use where it seems that Michelin is the go to tire, which is fine. They are just quite expensive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VUDU CHILD

VUDU CHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So what wheels are you running...?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
My track wheels are 19 and my streets are 20. It depends what you want the car feels better with the 19s but it also scrapes allllll over the place with the FRP springs and a 30 series tire

OP
OP
VUDU CHILD

VUDU CHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
GTthree50 Got a pic of them & what did you pay for them...?

Sponsored
OP
OP
VUDU CHILD

VUDU CHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Much better on 20’... have you seen a ride difference. Is the car lowered..?

Last edited:

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Ride quality is basically unchanged. In my experience going just +1 has little if any effect on ride quality. Car is not lowered, would need to modify the sidewalk leading into my driveway to be able to lower it and not destroy the splitter but on the 20’s does not really need it, the 19’s for sure. No rubbing or any other issues.
Sponsored