Sponsored

Daily Drive R

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I daily my R with the carbon fiber wheels. Thpugh i did switch rubber to the continental extremecontact sports. 325/30/19 rear and 305/30/19 in the front. The cup 2s are way too soft for the street. Not to mention, the tire was designed for a track... a controlled enviorment. The street isn’t controlled at all. Too many uneven surfaces, lines, cracks, dips, etc for the cup 2 performance to shine anyhow.
Sponsored

OP
OP

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
I daily mine ......... I did not buy it to let it sit in the garage. You just have to be cognisant of where you are driving ....... keep off curbs and avoid dips ....... but we all do that anyway. At the end of the day, it's just a Mustang that sits lower ............ ;-)

EXACTLY!!

OP
OP

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
I daily my R with the carbon fiber wheels. Thpugh i did switch rubber to the continental extremecontact sports. 325/30/19 rear and 305/30/19 in the front. The cup 2s are way too soft for the street. Not to mention, the tire was designed for a track... a controlled enviorment. The street isn’t controlled at all. Too many uneven surfaces, lines, cracks, dips, etc for the cup 2 performance to shine anyhow.

Thank you!

Robbys3m3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I dd mine even lowered:) I did switch to the continental tires

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't see many GT3 guys switching out their Cup2s for the street.

The carbon wheels are a defining part of the car and hownit handles on track. That's like taking the splitter and wing off for track use because you don't want to rip the splitter off if you go off track.

Who the hell is curbing their wheels? If you care about any car, you'll be careful when parallel parking and not just drive into the curb like a soccer mom who doesn't know any better. Jeez, I can't remember the last time I curbed a wheel.

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Here is some wheel damage on ebay (same seller has 3 other perfectly good rims for sale at $2k each)...

Definitely more than just "curb rash"!

s-l1600.jpg

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

The carbon wheels are a defining part of the car and hownit handles on track. That's like taking the splitter and wing off for track use because you don't want to rip the splitter off if you go off track.

Who the hell is curbing their wheels? If you care about any car, you'll be careful when parallel parking and not just drive into the curb like a soccer mom who doesn't know any better. Jeez, I can't remember the last time I curbed a wheel.
Unless you want to pay 2,200$ for new Cup 2s every 7k miles, i’d recommend swapping them out. You can’t even reach most of the potential the Cups have on the street anyway. I had a piece of glass cut through my Cup 2 like it was butter after having them on for one month. Let me mention that Cup 2s don’t have any type of warrenty and do not qualify for TireCare from Ford. The Continentals have a 30k mile TireCare option that states if the tire gets damaged and they can’t repair it, they’ll give me a new one at no cost

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I do not DD my R. Not because I wouldn't but because I just don't want to. its not a "get in a go" sort of ride for me. I like knowing its clean and ready for the weekends or just when i need some stress relief... Plus I have a long commute. no need to waste it.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Best thing I did to enjoy the R in daily driving and grocery getting was to get the project6gr wheels and some 305/35’s all around. A lot of tire in the wells and the wheels look kinda sorta like the stock ones so I don’t think they detract too much from the R package look. The stock tires suck on the street. They wander all over trying to pull those carbon wheels into a curb.

Bigger tires probably lift the car 1/2” which keeps me from dragging the splitter and therefore takes great stress out of the urban assault. My wife has even driven the splitter over a couple parking blocks. I almost stroked out but it cleared by about 1mm!

Totally agree with above comments about the stock tires. Overkill. God bless the carbon wheels - love them. But I can use them later when the mood strikes. Street tires let you slide around at what might be slightly less lethal speeds too. That’s more fun. With Cup2’s you gotta be doing some “straight to jail” speed to feel them move.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

Part of the issue with the carbon wheels on the street is they stick out past the rear fender, and come from the factory with slightly stretched tires. This means the edge of the rim is the most exposed part of the car, and can be scratched on more than just curbs. You can even scratch them on deep ruts or potholes in the street. If there's construction on a highway and one lane has been completely dug out, the edge between the lanes can be a risk, and I usually have to make sure I change lanes at a steep enough angle that the edge of the rim won't be running parallel to and scratch the edge of the construction lane.

That being said, I drive on the street all the time, but I've accepted that the wheel and splitter will get a degree of wear.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
While the CF wheels are badass as hell and the weight difference awesome, I wouldn't track them. Stuff breaks on track. I'd prefer to use a fully forged wheel that costs less than $1K to replace. But I'm a trackaholic, so my opinion might be skewed :D
I go the opposite way, aluminum wheels with "normal" tires (PSS) for street use and CF wheels on Cup2 for the track. The track is where I want the performance. I would use the CF wheels all the time but I don't want to swap tires and the Cup2s really are limiting. We get a lot of sudden thunderstorms in the midwest, and standing water is not the Cup2's friend. On PSS I can drive through any wet weather without concern.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I go the opposite way, aluminum wheels with "normal" tires (PSS) for street use and CF wheels on Cup2 for the track. The track is where I want the performance. I would use the CF wheels all the time but I don't want to swap tires and the Cup2s really are limiting. We get a lot of sudden thunderstorms in the midwest, and standing water is not the Cup2's friend. On PSS I can drive through any wet weather without concern.
I'd love the CF performance as well, but I know myself well enough to know financially it's a poor decision. Already thoroughly tested the structural integrity of the Signature SV502s. Inside wheel had metal-to-kerb contact on Turn 10 at Road Atlanta. Still round! Bit of touch up and she's good as new.
wheel damage.jpg

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The inside of one of my CF wheels looks about like that. But just superficial paint scrapes, likely from the same thing.
Sponsored