Sponsored

Engine Oil Consumption Hints

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I figured I would share this information from BMW since the blown engine thread is out of control and has too much drama. Until Ford releases what has caused some catastrophic failures here is some information from BMW on oil consumption I hope this helps put some fear to rest obviously some information is BMW specific but I think a lot of it applies to our engines as well.

All engines consume a certain amount of engine oil. This is necessary in order to properly lubricate the cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings, valves and if equipped, the turbocharger(s).

In addition, engines with less than 10,000 miles will generally consume additional engine oil because the internal engine components are not fully seated (break-in). Therefore engine oil consumption analysis should be performed after this break in period.

Once a new or remanufactured engine has accumulated 10,000 miles, oil consumption can be considered if there is a drastic change in the engine oil consumption rate (e.g., the engine oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions.

Engines equipped with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than normally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged). The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine. All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized.

Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. Oil residue found in these crankcase ventilation hoses is a normal condition for properly operating turbocharged engine. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect.

OIL CONSUMPTION SPECIFICATION
Engine type: Oil Consumption Specification:

All BMW “N” and “B" engines except N63, N63T, N74 and BMW Motorsport engines 1 liter per 1,500 miles

All BMW “M” engines (i.e.M54, M62, etc.), N63, N63TU and N74 engines 1 liter per 750 miles

All BMW Motorsport engines (“S” engines) 2.5 liters per 1,000 miles

DIAGNOSTIC HINTS
When an oil consumption complaint is received, it may be possible to correct it without performing extensive engine repairs. Check the following frequent causes of excessive oil consumption prior to undertaking any engine consumption analysis or repairs.
Proper Maintenance

Has the vehicle received proper maintenance? Certain external conditions (mainly city driving style and/or high engine loads; poor fuel quality; and extreme ambient temperatures), combined with excessively long oil service intervals may accelerate engine oil degradation, which may cause premature wear of the engine components. Continuous city driving and very high ambient temperatures are the most influential factors causing premature oil aging and consequential engine mechanical deterioration.

External Leakage

The engine should be leak-free before starting any engine oil consumption analysis.

Overfilling

If the oil level is too high, oil in the crankcase will be thrown against the cylinder walls and consumed. Check the dipstick markings or electronic measurement (as equipped) to be sure of accuracy. The oil level must not be higher than the upper mark.

Engine Oil Viscosity/Quality

The use of oil with the wrong viscosity rating for the operating conditions can cause high oil consumption. Check the Owner's Manual to determine the proper viscosity for the conditions.

Engine Speed and Load

If vehicle operating conditions are severe, oil consumption will be higher than normal. Extreme load, continuous high engine speed or long idling times in traffic will result in increased oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation

The crankcase ventilation systems use various different crankcase ventilation valves, depending on the engine type. Although the valves all look different, they function similarly, using a spring and diaphragm assembly to control the crankcase pressure. A properly functioning pressure control valve is designed to maintain a slight vacuum (under-pressure) in the crankcase, which assures reliable crankcase venting during all engine operating conditions. One of the results of a malfunctioning crankcase ventilation system can be increased engine oil consumption. Refer to SI B11 03 08 for measuring specifications and procedures.

Turbocharged Engines

Engines that are fitted with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than naturally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged engines). In this case, a turbocharged engine could require topping up of engine oil more frequently. For vehicles with turbocharged engines, refer to the attachment to help identify a turbocharger with acceptable oil leakage.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
As I’ve had a lot of BMWs, I’ve read something similar as well. I’ve had 7 BMWs including my current one. 3 with N20s, 1 N55 and three S55s. None of them (according to the computer oil reading) used any significant amount of oil from what I could tell. Certainly not to the degree my Voodoos did. I only have a couple of thousand miles on my current M3 though so time will tell. I have heard the N63/S63 are consistent oil users though. With some being very bad.

I’ve had three Voodoos between two different cars. My first one (16 tech) was replaced due to excessive oil usage. I barely drove it with the replaced engine before I traded it in on my 17. The 17 was steady at a quart between 1500-2000 miles. Then at around 9000 miles it increased to about 750 miles. Which, is when I threw in the towel and went back to a M3 Comp Pack. The oil usage was only one of many issues with both cars and not my only reasons for moving away from the GT350.

I’m 44 and I’ve had a lot of different cars from many different brands (including various Fords) and the Voodoo is the only motor where I’ve had excessive or really any for that matter oil usage. I guess either I’ve been lucky or just an exception to the rule.

Thanks for the info and hopefully you guys can have a decent discussion without the usual BS.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a buddy who is a service manager for a BMW dealership. He laughed his ass off when I told him about how people were freaking out about this engine.

Apparently they see this daily.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have not waded into the other thread, but it anyone tallying breakin procedures for those with and without oil consumption issues? I realize that for some the issue starts later, but I'm at nearly 6k miles and 6 track days and as far as I can tell, the engine hasn't burned any oil. At the end of the last track day, it was down <1/4 quart from the last change (over the winter), and I've pulled at least 3 fl oz out of the separators (a couple oz from the driver size after a long highway drive, and a couple oz from the passenger side after 2 days on track).

It's certainly possible that there is high variability across the Voodoo motors, and I got lucky, and it's possible that I'll develop issues later, but I'm curious if there are trends like most people with oil burning issues did gentle break-in, etc.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have not waded into the other thread, but it anyone tallying breakin procedures for those with and without oil consumption issues? I realize that for some the issue starts later, but I'm at nearly 6k miles and 6 track days and as far as I can tell, the engine hasn't burned any oil. At the end of the last track day, it was down <1/4 quart from the last change (over the winter), and I've pulled at least 3 fl oz out of the separators (a couple oz from the driver size after a long highway drive, and a couple oz from the passenger side after 2 days on track).

It's certainly possible that there is high variability across the Voodoo motors, and I got lucky, and it's possible that I'll develop issues later, but I'm curious if there are trends like most people with oil burning issues did gentle break-in, etc.
I've seen people who ran the car hard from day one and people who broke the motor in gently report oil consumption. Most fail to realize that these motors are run to redline on an engine dyno before they ever go into our cars. I believe the main reason for the break in procedure is to properly break in things like the clutch, tranny, diff, etc. Aside from some specific instances with high oil consumption (more than 1qt per 500 miles) I think the main variable is driving style. From what I have gathered, these engines consume the most oil when at high rpm with low load.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My car had 95 miles on it when I bought it. No clue how it was driven before I got it.

I do not do gentle break ins. As soon as the car is up to temp, it gets throttle and RPM.

The entire way home (500 miles or so), I was varying throttle and gears on the highway and taking tons of off ramps.

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
Offboost
Thanks very much for your post. Agree the Blown Engine Thread is now just comical. I wanted to chime in and tell you I had brother that had BMW M5 V10. Brand new. Gentle break in. That thing guzzled like a sailor on leave. He was always adding a Q. BMW said...no worries.....normal. I also had a 2004 E46M3. Also consumed oil. Not as much as the M5 but 1 quart every 1500miles. Never gave it a thought. BMW said their M engines were built "lose" as to reduce friction so it was just part of the game. That could be BS, but it sounded reasonable to me. Now...Im sure other BMW guys will flame me (for whatever reason) but just telling my experience. Loved those cars, added oil and drove them like they should be driven. As far as our GT350's......if its within Ford SPEC.....I wouldnt worry, just check your levels.

OP
OP
Offboost

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Exactly the point of this post just because many do not like adding oil if its within specs and not smoking then there is nothing wrong regardless of what some may think. This engine was designed and built using high quality forged parts and it is not a low revving little engine that makes no power and consumes little to no oil and gets 30+ miles per gallon.

Last edited:

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
The high RPM/ low load point makes sense. That's just asking for blow-by.
It definitely does. My problem is you are supposed to modulate throttle and use the whole range smoothly. Most of the time you will be in low load range on a street and if you are going through a canyon or two this is how you are going to drive. On the track I get it but we are not supposed to change our driving styles just because we need to be at high load when at high RPMs. And of course I hope the definition of high RPM is not anything above 3500.

P.S. My S54 BMW engine consumes next to no oil and is driven the same way (it also shares a similar redline with the voodoo)

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think most people are under the impression that an engine burning oil is about to (or already has) failed. So when someone starts seeing oil consumption that is beyond their own comfort level, they start getting very nervous. Especially because not all engines behave the same, so people will feel like their own engine must be defective and is on the verge of destruction. Having a constant, nagging worry that your engine is about to go would certainly make the ownership experience less enjoyable. So, I totally understand the frustration.

A big part is deciding what that "comfort level" should be. Ford says up to a quart/500 miles. I think most people would feel like that is pretty high consumption, but maybe it actually isn't a problem if the engine is otherwise running fine.

BMW says 2.5L/1000 miles for their motorsport engines. That is roughly 1 quart/420 miles (EDIT: I had the quart/liter ratio backwards - it's actually ~1 quart/380 miles).

My engine seems to take 1 quart/1500 miles or so, which is more than any other car I've owned, but maybe not bad for the Voodoo. And the engine runs fine, so I will count my blessings and run the car hard and hope for the best. What's nice is that I can be certain that the oil is always in pretty good condition since I'm adding new stuff relatively often ;-)

Anyway, I think it is good to know that engines consuming oil isn't necessarily bad, and to be aware that the Voodoo potentially has a large appetite for oil, so be sure to check yours often.

-T

Last edited:

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It reminds me of the BMW S62 motors (E39 M5 V8), which in their first year did consume lots of oil. I think BMW did a ring update on the facelift cars (2001+) that largely cured the issue. But even for the early cars, just like with our handbuilt engines, some burned a lot of oil and some didn't. It does not appear to affect longevity, as Trackaholic noted.

Coincidentally, I recently picked up an E39 M5 as well, so now I have two big V8s that have a reputation for drinking oil, but so far neither of mine have. Knock on wood, I guess!

Regarding high-RPM/ low load, I think one simple driving habit is to not engine-brake from high RPM at street speeds. Keep it in gear, but use the brake pedal so the engine is being slowed by the driveline vs. just on vacuum alone, which will really pull in oil if the valve guides or rings are truly a weak point. Also, and this is probably obvious, avoiding high RPM until oil is fully at operating temp, because forged pistons do expand and contract a fair amount and the ring gaps are therefore large when cold.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I've seen people who ran the car hard from day one and people who broke the motor in gently report oil consumption. Most fail to realize that these motors are run to redline on an engine dyno before they ever go into our cars. I believe the main reason for the break in procedure is to properly break in things like the clutch, tranny, diff, etc. Aside from some specific instances with high oil consumption (more than 1qt per 500 miles) I think the main variable is driving style. From what I have gathered, these engines consume the most oil when at high rpm with low load.
My car had 95 miles on it when I bought it. No clue how it was driven before I got it.

I do not do gentle break ins. As soon as the car is up to temp, it gets throttle and RPM.

The entire way home (500 miles or so), I was varying throttle and gears on the highway and taking tons of off ramps.
I got my car with all of 5 miles on it. I was pretty gentle on it (keeping it under 3500 RPM and no WOT) until the recommended 100 miles and then gave her some throttle. I would occasionally (1-2 times a week) take her all the way to redline for the first 1000 miles. After that I have always driven it like I stole it. I have had zero oil consumption, and my passenger side catch can has about an ounce every 1000 miles. My car is a 2017 built in June of '17, if that matters any. It seems like this is kinda hit or miss as far as what engines consume oil and what ones don't. All I worry about is my OPG failing but that doesn't detract from my driving style or the joy of ownership by any means. I'm likely going to get a billet OPG installed in the spring so that will no longer be a worry at all.
Sponsored