Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Alright, ladies and gents!

Here's why I've been quiet about the splitter/wing install processes. Wanted to try video. I thought needing to remember to slow down and take pictures was hard. Oye.

On the bright side, this should be more informative than my usual pictures. On the downside, ya'll need to stare at my ugly mug now. hehehe

I've since upgraded my mic setup (last clips in both videos use the new setup) as well as gotten a gimbal, so things should improve in the future. This will be a fun new skill to learn.

APR Splitter Install (last part of video involves slow-mo shots)

APR GT-250 Wing Install (last part of video involves slow-mo shots)

Last edited:

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Haha, you guys are killing me! I've really struggled with camera angle since I put in the halo seat since and can't use my passenger seat mount anymore. The roll bar is just too far back and leads to huge exposure problems. All of my RA content was WAY blown out. Don't worry, though. I got you from now on. Sticking with a GoPro on my helmet (for driver inputs) and a new location outside the car on the driver side b-pillar. This should fix the camera freaking out over exposure, eliminate shutter on braking, and get a good view of the road ahead. :D
20180905_174645.jpg
Haha for sure. I have zero room to talk TBH. If you watch my videos you need to tilt the screen because the view is so washed out. I mount it on my rollbar but have the old GoPro HERO3 so it's 1/8 step up from utter crap......nah it's just crap. At any rate, the content you just put out is awesome and I hope you stick with it. I know it's ridiculously time consuming but it's great material that isn't really covered on YouTube (unlike Miata/S2K/M3 content). Keep up the great work man!

Lonestarjay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I like the new videos, I been wanting to start a channel myself.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Haha for sure. I have zero room to talk TBH. If you watch my videos you need to tilt the screen because the view is so washed out. I mount it on my rollbar but have the old GoPro HERO3 so it's 1/8 step up from utter crap......nah it's just crap. At any rate, the content you just put out is awesome and I hope you stick with it. I know it's ridiculously time consuming but it's great material that isn't really covered on YouTube (unlike Miata/S2K/M3 content). Keep up the great work man!
Thanks for the kind words. It'll be fun to see where this goes. Hopefully it at least gives me the skills needed to take good pictures to look back on when I'm reminiscing.

Regarding your GoPro mounting location, I'll let you know how my new version goes. Should be pretty easy to manage during the track day if the angle works!

I like the new videos, I been wanting to start a channel myself.
Do it! I'll be watching. The interwebz need more good GT350 content. We;re getting our but kicked by the imports!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Been trying to learn how to use a DSLR remotely effectively. Had a few images come out that I am a fan of! I especially like the side profile of the rear part of the car (first pic). Also like the door shot because those decals are just badass.
Rear side profile.jpg
Rear HB.jpg
Close-up of APR caulk.JPG
side decals.jpg

Lonestarjay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Thanks for the kind words. It'll be fun to see where this goes. Hopefully it at least gives me the skills needed to take good pictures to look back on when I'm reminiscing.

Regarding your GoPro mounting location, I'll let you know how my new version goes. Should be pretty easy to manage during the track day if the angle works!

Do it! I'll be watching. The interwebz need more good GT350 content. We;re getting our but kicked by the imports!
I’m still just a dreamer in a gt, you still going to cota next month?

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Black Stripes
Great detail video. Thanks for sharing! Next one I'll be doing the air flow cut :) Some good tips in the videos. Hope the current splitter lasts me for a year.

Alright, ladies and gents!

Here's why I've been quiet about the splitter/wing install processes. Wanted to try video. I thought needing to remember to slow down and take pictures was hard. Oye.

On the bright side, this should be more informative than my usual pictures. On the downside, ya'll need to stare at my ugly mug now. hehehe

I've since upgraded my mic setup (last clips in both videos use the new setup) as well as gotten a gimbal, so things should improve in the future. This will be a fun new skill to learn.

APR Splitter Install (last part of video involves slow-mo shots)

APR GT-250 Wing Install (last part of video involves slow-mo shots)

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I've used the driver's side B-pillar setup on my 350Z for years. Love the position as you can see the road ahead as well as the driver's hands, so you get a feel for what the driver is doing. The only problem is that you'll probably need an external mic to prevent wind noise from being a problem. Not sure if that is something you are doing already, but if not, keep it in mind.

Car is looking amazing BTW!

-T

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
SRP Pedals

Last mod for the moment were a set of SRP Pedals. I found that if I moved the accelerator pedal forward, heel/toe was easier on the street. However, on track under hard braking, it was too close. When I was in SoCal, I got to feel out SoCal350's SRP pedals and I was sold. They're light, add a ton of grip and feel VERY solid. Only downside is the curvature of the pedal doesn't perfectly match the curves on the mounts. But it's a big deal. You can't feel it when they are installed.

When comparing them to the stock pedals, it's easy to see why. They have sharp teeth, are thinner (less squish), and a bit wider.
IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

To mount the brake and clutch pedal, I just drilled out this existing hole to size and attached. Some of you might want more than one bolt, but this feels solid, doesn't move on me, and was simple without compromising the integrity of the metal backing pedal.
IMG_3141.JPG

For the accelerator, I used double-sided tape to mock up where I wanted it and then drill through he plastic. I used 2 bolts for this one.
IMG_3142.JPG

For the dead pedal, I just found 4 black screws and screwed into the plastic underneath the carpet. Overall, they turned out great. The pedal feel is AWESOME. Heel/toe is much improved. This is one of those mods you don't know you need until you try it. 9/10
IMG_3144.JPG
Hey, how are these pedals working out? Apologies if i missed a summary later on the thread. Is the one screw enough for the clutch and brake?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’m still just a dreamer in a gt, you still going to cota next month?
Yep! You should come check it out. I know of a couple other GT350 owners that'll be out there. Edge Addicts usually attracts some nice machinery - pretty fun even!

Great detail video. Thanks for sharing! Next one I'll be doing the air flow cut :) Some good tips in the videos. Hope the current splitter lasts me for a year.
I hear you. Here's to hoping it lasts the year. At least they're cheaper than the OEM splitters.

I've used the driver's side B-pillar setup on my 350Z for years. Love the position as you can see the road ahead as well as the driver's hands, so you get a feel for what the driver is doing. The only problem is that you'll probably need an external mic to prevent wind noise from being a problem. Not sure if that is something you are doing already, but if not, keep it in mind.

Car is looking amazing BTW!

-T
Did you use a suction or the 3M tape mounts? My only concern is the tape giving away with so many sessions pushing on it.

I plan to use the same mic setup I had inside the car, just route the cord outside. Hoping the air moving by doesn't cause connection problems. We'll know in a bit over 2 weeks. Not many tracks will stress things more than COTA :D

Hey, how are these pedals working out? Apologies if i missed a summary later on the thread. Is the one screw enough for the clutch and brake?
So far so good. Adding another screw to the brake + clutch is on my to-do list, but so far nothing has moved. I have something like 30 days on them + some street driving and no problems. But redundancy is always good.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It's killing me not being out on track. Fortunately only 3ish more weeks to go. Can't wait to get back out to COTA and have some fun playing cat and mouse with some of the local ZL1 1LEs
COTA chasing 1LE.jpg

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Im planning to come out and watch, Whats the dates and times?
6-7 Oct at COTA. They haven’t published a schedule yet. But I would expect 8AM-5PM.
When you arrive at the gate to the tunnel, they may ask who you are with. Tell them “Edge Addicts”, sign the waiver, drive through the tunnel, and follow the crowd to the parking apron. Enjoy the day!