Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT Premium - In Depth Write-up and Pics

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
Hey y'all,

Just picked up my new 2019 Mustang GT a couple days ago on 8/3/18. I'm going to provide some pics and a bit of an in-depth experience of the vehicle so far!

TL;DR: could not be more in love with the car!!!

Here are the specs: 2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, 401a, 6-speed, Ruby Red, Performance Pack 1, MagneRide, Security Package, 19" Nickel Wheels

Previous Car: I am coming from a 2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed that I have owned since May 2011. It was a super rare color of Lava Red, which is pretty close I think to the current Crimson Red. The only upgrade I had done was a Roush axle-back exhaust; loved the sound... favorite part of the car. I put about 78,500 miles on it. I loved that car. Treated me very well and never had any issues. I sold it privately and made a bit more than the dealer was going to trade me, but let's just keep a long story short, and say that the private sale was filled with stress and drama. In the end, it worked out.

2019 Buying Experience Part 1 (the dream): I originally was fixated upon a GT350. I thought about the car literally every single day for a couple of years. I almost closed the deal on one a bit back, but then the dealer slapped on ADM at the last moment. Ultimately, the car was at the very top of my budget, and good winter tires (I live in Michigan) were not practical. So I swallowed a little of my Shelby dreams, and started thinking about a new Mustang GT. Since I still enjoyed my 2012, I went back and forth on a new one every day, but I still thought about that new car every *single* day. Decided to pull the trigger finally and ordered a 2019 Mustang GT on 4/8/18. My dealer expresses themselves as one of the highest volume in the country. However, I received pretty poor customer service throughout the way. Status updates were basically entirely up to me and I always knew information before my salesman contacted me. I would be constantly checking COTUS, Blue Oval Forums, and calling Ford Performance for the most up-to-date information.

I have to say that someone on the forums or elsewhere must have been my guardian angel without telling me. My car was originally scheduled to be delivered at the end of August with a dealer priority of 10. However, at some point in July, my car was bumped to a Priority 1, and ETA changed to early August. My salesman said he had nothing to do with this... so whoever may have done this -- thank you much!!! This was especially a big deal personally and financially, because I sold my last car in July, and had been borrowing friends' vehicles in the meanwhile.

2019 Buying Experience Part 2 (the poor purchasing experience part): My dealer told me the "taxes, title and other" price of the vehicle and printed the invoice when I did the custom order on 4/8/18. I have the A/Z plan discount. I confirmed multiple times in person, e-mail, and phone, that the $$$$ number he told me included everything. I said I had to figure out my loan amount and down payment amount. 1.5-2 weeks before the car came in, I sent a follow up e-mail, just again asking, "does this price of $xx.xx include taxes and everything?" The salesman response was simply, "yes". Come to the day before I pick up the car, when we are working on numbers. I'm told the cash I owe is $1,500 more than I was told before. At this point, I had already had the loan set, and a check written for the difference. This $1,500 came as a shock. Also, this was INCLUDING a $1,500 cash Ford incentive. So without the incentive, it would have been $3k more than I was told. The salesman had no excuses here and no explanation. He just said he misread my "does this include taxes and everything?" e-mail, and said it was "his bad". He told me the initial invoice was just more an "estimate". Pretty pissed at this point, since I'd have taken out a larger loan, but now this is additional unexpected cost is coming from my savings. So I said whatever, it is what it is. I paid the extra cost. Not even any maintenance or service costs being offered to be covered. I will be writing the sales manager of this dealership.

First Ride: the day before I picked up the car, I gave it a quick test drive. Had 5.8 miles on it. It was parked in the dealer garage. I posted another topic about this, because, gosh, I thought I was going to crash this car or stall it out with how finicky the clutch was, after driving multiple manual transmissions the past 10 years. The engage point here was so vague. It was like as you let your foot up, the clutch slowly came up, and up and up, then all of a sudden... BAM -- the clutch engages; so the car either jerks forward, or you are stalling out. I immediately ordered a new Steeda clutch spring (I've since canceled: see below). Also, thought I was accidentally hitting the gas pedal when shifting, but soon realized it was the rev matching feature. I didn't like this at all (at first :)).

Ownership Driving Experience: Picked up the car with 12 miles on it (so the dealership put on about 6 miles testing the thing out). The gear ratios are definitely different than my 2012. When going 70 on the freeway, I used to downshift into 4th gear to get some torque and speed. Now, 4th gear doesn't do much of anything at that speed to me. After two days with the car, I now have 250 miles on it.

This vehicle drives so well. It handles so well. I am much more used to the clutch now, and I feel like it's broken in a bit. Still a bit vague compared to my 2012, but not as bad as I initially made it sound, and not as bad as everyone says. The power difference in this car is also VERY noticeable. This baby pulls. My favorite pulls at the moment are cruising at 50mph, and downshifting into 2nd gear. This car willingly does so, and throws you back into your seat to take you up to 70mph. I have heard the tires skid going from 2nd to 3rd before as well (though I know they are being broken in, too).

The normal drive mode takes bumps so well. You still feel bumps, but it is very comfortable. Sport mode makes the terrain a *little* more "bumpy" but the way the car plants itself is amazing. Even my mother, who knows nothing about cars, said taking corners she didn't feel like she was moving around much. She said it all felt so planted down. So I can't comment on what Performance Pack 1 feels like with MagneRide vs. no MagneRide. However, I can say the car feels amazing to me right now. Honestly, there is not a huge difference between normal and sport mode feeling after 250 miles, but it is somewhat noticeable with these crappy Michigan roads.

The rev matching, I initially hated it, since I had been driving a stick without it for 10 years before this, and it made the car seem too automated. Now, it's simply amazing. Lets you know exactly where you are in the RPM band when you shift. I figure once I pass 250 miles on this car, I'll know where each shift is regardless. But for now, it's turned into a great feature. Also, it just sounds fricking awesome having the car blip the revs up when taking it slow through a subdivision.

Sound (Exhaust and Stereo): Again, I came from Roush Axle-backs on my 2012 GT. They weren't TOO loud. Louder than stock. But, they had that aggressive, amazing TONE to them. The sound was my favorite part about the 2012. The 2019 sounded weak to me from the start (no active exhaust). I didn't like the look of the stock exhaust either; looked too "thin" and just sunken in under the rear manifold. I knew from extensive forum and YouTube research that the Roush Axle-Back exhaust was right for me again here on the 2019. So with less than 50 miles on the car, first day of ownership, I put the Roush system on. Took less than an hour. These babies sound amazing and take this vehicle to an entirely new level. Quiet when you want, but step on it...and people are going to close their windows, and you will turn heads. IMO what a Mustang should sound like. The car really does sound like an exotic vehicle at higher RPMs with this setup. Again, the default exhaust tone is just too weak (cannot comment about active exhaust).

Interior sound: basically the only option I didn't do was the B&O sound system. I personally love just listening to the sound of the exhaust of the car, and mostly just listen to boring talk radio anyway (unheard of for someone in their early 30's...). With that said, I am a musician of over 19 years, and have musical tastes. The default sound system in this car is fine. The bass works, the sound comes through. I don't know what the B&O system sounds like to compare. But this thing still pumps ok and it works for me so far.

Paint / Alignment: all panels are aligned great. The paint, simply, is beautiful. It has exceeded my expectations. I had only seen Ruby Red while on the lots and while dirty before. I really love the metallic flakes in paint, and didn't think when I ordered this car that Ruby Red had that feature (due to seeing the flat, dirty car lot vehicles). When I first approached this car, I literally got insane goose bumps. Still can't believe how beautiful it is and all the compliments I get. I have looked this car up and down, and no orange peel, etc. The ONLY issue I have found is a smudge on the rooftop that looks like you didn't wipe the wax off, but it is definitely from the factory; again, small thing, can only see it in certain light, but I can definitely notice it. Overall, super, super pleased and expectations exceeded by far.

Interior / Lighting:
The car is so comfortable so far. It's 95 degrees here today, and I've been riding with the windows open and the A/C on with fans set to 1-speed (mainly because I want to hear the exhaust!). Honestly, I can't really tell if the seat coolers are working, though. Anyone else have input here? I have them set to 3 (max setting), but my back still sweats a bit. The fan volume of the seats is also pretty loud, so they're at least running; makes it a bit distracting because it sounds like there are fans blowing in the back seats. The digital display is amazing. Still haven't figured out my favorite configuration. But damn, the thing is so great. Track mode display is so retro, it's just so, so, so good. I feel like the ambient lighting colors are not defined enough, however. Many of the ambient lighting colors look the same. You really have to pick a big vibrant color to tell the difference. Like, purple looks the same as white, which looks the same as yellow, etc. The 401a contrast stitching and extra leather wrapping is amazing, too. And the shifter feels great in the palm of my hand. Exterior lighting-wise, the headlamps are SO BRIGHT. They illuminate the entire road to such an extreme in front of you.

Overall: I was hyped for this car since well before I ordered it in April 2018. I have been on the forums literally every day, thinking about it every day. I loved my last car, and so I thought I probably didn't really need a new car. And I had a big fear that after hyping something up in my head for so long, that it would never meet expectations. I can honestly say this car has exceeded all expectations, despite the buying experience; the buying experience is behind me. The actual ownership of this car has far exceeded my hopes and dreams. I have always loved Mustangs, but let me say I'd have purchased another vehicle if the power, design, quality, and visibility matched this one. There is no match for the value and quality of this car.

Questions: Any specific questions about the car I can answer that I didn't address here
mustang1.jpg
mustang2.jpg
mustang3.jpg
mustang4.jpg
IMG_2279.jpg
IMG_2316.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg
IMG_2312.jpg
IMG_2291.jpg
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Thanks for your write up..!

It seems you intend to have fun in owning your Mustang, & perhaps owning it for a long while... so may I suggest a helmet and a year/weekend pass to GingerMan Raceway. You'll thank yourself.

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
Great write up.

I have a 2016 gt350 and the seat coolers are positioned in the middle back area of the seat far as I can tell and obviously the bottom area (which seems to work decent, better if you have thinner clothing). Which isn't ideal because you'd have to be off the seat for it to flow.

If you use the heaters then they are much more noticable because the heat transfer doesn't need much air flow.

And yes the clutch is crazy vague and has far too much dead travel. The Steeda spring helped mine about 25% or so. Not life changing but it's easier.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Congrats. We do not need that much detail. Condense/shorten you thread. OMG. Lol.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Nice write up and beautiful Mustang!

The seat coolers are loud in my car, too. What I found with my F-350, and now my Mustang, is that the A/C must be on with windows closed to get any cooling effect thru the seat. They work best if you have the floor vents working which, I believe, helps due to the cool air directed under the seat(s).

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
How are you liking the nickel rims? I think you’re the first person I’ve seen here opt for them. I was going back and forth a lot on my PP1.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I think your salesman was full of BS. "Includes everything" is pretty clear. He knew that after all waiting for a special order he could screw you and squeeze an extra $1500 out of you, and he was right.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Beautiful car! I am very jealous of your wheels!! :inlove:

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write up! Beautiful color choice. Really digging the wheels, too.

Is the auto rev match always on? On the Camaro it defaults to off at each startup. Has led to a few clunky downshifts when I forgot to flick it back on..

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
It's a beauty for sure, and I love the color. But, some may say I'm a bit biased. :) Enjoy

Mustangworks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue PP1, 400a
Awesome my friend!!! So glad you got it. Those wheels are pretty sweet too! And yes, Ruby Red is a great color. I love it on our 2013 Fusion. You'll have to post a video of it too so we can hear it :) Congrats!!

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Great car and thanks for taking the time to post.

This is the part that gets me:
He just said he misread my "does this include taxes and everything?" e-mail, and said it was "his bad". He told me the initial invoice was just more an "estimate". Pretty pissed at this point, since I'd have taken out a larger loan, but now this is additional unexpected cost is coming from my savings. So I said whatever, it is what it is. I paid the extra cost.

This is a very old trick and it's been pulled on me at least three times. One of those times I showed up with a cashiers check and they said there was a mistake and wanted more and I slid the check over and said "no, take it or leave it"..................they took it.

Sorry to add a dash of negativity but I don't like seeing this happen to good people who are spending a lot of money.

Regardless, the car looks awesome and I know you'll enjoy it!
Sponsored