Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So now we know who inside Ford made the decision to pull out of the car business. Ford is in free fall.
http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2018/5/5/ford-in-free-fall.html
If you aren't reading Pete DeLorenzo's blog, you are missing the high-octane truth.

Wow....he doesn't pull any punches, does he? Must admit, I'd not heard of Farley's reputation before, but assuming he's correct, that needs to be addressed.

The current upheaval at Ford is very worrying for me. I love the company and it's long history, but most of all I love (some of) its products. Products. Exactly as Delorenzo signed off in the article......and exactly what Mulally focused on so successfully.

Sure, the car market is changing fast, like never before, and Ford needs to be on its toes to react. But turning its back on its core products seems crazy.

Ironically, I wasn't a fan of "One Ford", at least originally, as it meant global products and the loss of unique American automobiles. OK, some of those "America only" cars weren't world class, but they had character. Uniquely American character. One Ford diluted that and, trucks aside, the offerings recently were the same in the US and the rest of the world. Seeing Fiesta and Focuses on the road in the US was rather odd to this Brit, who would rather see a Crown Vic. However, One Ford seemed to be a massive financial success and turned Ford's fortunes around without the need for the Government bailout. Ironic then, that the approach now would appear to be to leave Europe/ROW with their core product (as it's always been - Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo) and Focus back on the big 'ol trucks and SUVs.

I'm torn. I want Ford to be a huge success......but I want to love their products again.

I don't know what the answer is, but I sure hope Bill Ford does....and I hope he acts fast.

:(

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Wow....he doesn't pull any punches, does he? Must admit, I'd not heard of Farley's reputation before, but assuming he's correct, that needs to be addressed.

The current upheaval at Ford is very worrying for me. I love the company and it's long history, but most of all I love (some of) its products. Products. Exactly as Delorenzo signed off in the article......and exactly what Mulally focused on so successfully.

Sure, the car market is changing fast, like never before, and Ford needs to be on its toes to react. But turning its back on its core products seems crazy.

Ironically, I wasn't a fan of "One Ford", at least originally, as it meant global products and the loss of unique American automobiles. OK, some of those "America only" cars weren't world class, but they had character. Uniquely American character. One Ford diluted that and, trucks aside, the offerings recently were the same in the US and the rest of the world. Seeing Fiesta and Focuses on the road in the US was rather odd to this Brit, who would rather see a Crown Vic. However, One Ford seemed to be a massive financial success and turned Ford's fortunes around without the need for the Government bailout. Ironic then, that the approach now would appear to be to leave Europe/ROW with their core product (as it's always been - Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo) and Focus back on the big 'ol trucks and SUVs.

I'm torn. I want Ford to be a huge success......but I want to love their products again.

I don't know what the answer is, but I sure hope Bill Ford does....and I hope he acts fast.

As mentioned in the article Ford has a tendency to become idiots, each time it makes me frustrated because I know there will be a period where the products they make will not impress me.

I plan on long term with this new 18 Mustang and my wifes Fusion is only 3 years old so in 2 years when she will be ready for a new one the last one will be on her list. I hope Ford learns from this one quickly.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, after seeing the Lincoln Aviator again I have to say this direction is a good one for Lincoln. On my short list for when my Edge goes off lease in a year. If Ford can be as creative with the Ford designs who knows?

Lincoln-Aviator-01.jpg

Lincoln-Aviator-16.jpg

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Ok, after seeing the Lincoln Aviator again I have to say this direction is a good one for Lincoln. On my short list for when my Edge goes off lease in a year. If Ford can be as creative with the Ford designs who knows?

Lincoln-Aviator-01.jpg

Well.... It looks like the Explorer is also in a good direction (apparently this was teased on Beijing)

2020-ford-explorer-teased-in-beijing-will-be-made-in-china-and-chicago-125276_1.jpg

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Lincoln-Aviator-01.jpg

Well.... It looks like the Explorer is also in a good direction (apparently this was teased on Beijing)

2020-ford-explorer-teased-in-beijing-will-be-made-in-china-and-chicago-125276_1.jpg
I think the Explorer has hit the nail on the head for years now, it will be interesting to see what they reveal.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Let´s see if we can find the key differences between the current one and the new one, what do you guys think?

at first sight it looks like it will be significantly differentiated from the Aviator and will keep the "Explorer design", however it shares "the good stuff".
hghhg.jpg

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
So now we know who inside Ford made the decision to pull out of the car business. Ford is in free fall.
If you aren't reading Pete DeLorenzo's blog, you are missing the high-octane truth.
Very interesting read. I remember at the Detroit Auto Show it was Farley that introduced the horrible idea of the new battery electric SUV to be called the Mach1. I thought to myself who was behind this bad, non car person decision.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm a bit confused on what Ford is doing now. They are now making a Fiesta Active to go along with the Focus Active.

Fiesta Active

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
That was a very interesting article. It also confirms some of my beliefs that I did not like the direction overall the Ford was heading once Mulally left and especially after ditching Fields.

I agree. I want Ford to be successful. I don't consider myself brand loyal but my first car was a Ford, so they do hold a special place with me. Whole family drives Ford's currently and we have a great relationship with our local dealer. But I really am not liking the direction they are heading.

Very interesting read. I remember at the Detroit Auto Show it was Farley that introduced the horrible idea of the new battery electric SUV to be called the Mach1. I thought to myself who was behind this bad, non car person decision.
Agreed. I have not been impressed since he took over.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Good article.

I understand axing the Fiesta too close to Focus, and the Focus has a wide range including RS to power sales.

I understand axing EITHER ONE of Taurus or Fusion, axe one, keep one. But don't understand axing both.

Unless they plan on making a 4 door car based on the Mustang frame... like GM makes Cadillacs and Camaros based on the same frame. Dodge Charger-esque. Maybe possible? I think this may be the real secret that noone knows! S650 may be all new lightweight frame to compete with GM Alpha platform... shared frame with a new 4 door Ford.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I'm a bit confused on what Ford is doing now. They are now making a Fiesta Active to go along with the Focus Active.

Fiesta Active
Nothing really confusing about it - they're just being consistent with their statement of going full Truck/SUV/CUV.

I'm a car guy, but a Focus Active RS would be a wicked fun ride during the winter in my neck of the woods.
Sponsored