Sponsored

Comparing EB with 2012 GT

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I love the Continental DWS06 tire, its a super all season ultra HP tire and they are pretty sticky, and they do not follow grooves in the road if they are too wide like the Pzeros do.
that is the tire I'm going to get sometime this or next month...
Sponsored

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
Have to agree with what most people on this thread said.
When I was having the Ford Dealership install my Ford Performance Tune I went to the sales department to test drive a new GT. They set me up with a pretty high spec GT. When I got on the highway and opened her up I really expected so much more. Sure it was better then the stock Eco but with all the talk on "how much better GT's are" I was expecting to be blown away.
Then when I got back into my Eco with the Ford Performance Tune and after the whole "Learning" phase passed and it was on full power the gap between the GT and the Ford performance Tuned Eco is so close now that it makes me love my car more and more every time I drive it.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I traded my FP tuned EB in a while back for a 17 GT, mainly because I really really really wanted Grabber Blue and they gave me a smoking deal.

The GT is a faster car, it just doesn't feel "old school" V8 seat of the pants torque monster so people get disappointed. My mileage is great as well, I'm averaging only 2mpg less than the boost did on the same drive to work, mainly because I can let it be at 1500 RPM in 6th and not worry about scattering my rods all over the road on a long hill.

To me that was the biggest incentive to switch, I was so tired of the constant nagging fear of engine failure that I already had for 3 years prior to the EB with my MS3. I do miss the light and nimble front end but not much else.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
I traded my FP tuned EB in a while back for a 17 GT, mainly because I really really really wanted Grabber Blue and they gave me a smoking deal.

The GT is a faster car, it just doesn't feel "old school" V8 seat of the pants torque monster so people get disappointed. My mileage is great as well, I'm averaging only 2mpg less than the boost did on the same drive to work, mainly because I can let it be at 1500 RPM in 6th and not worry about scattering my rods all over the road on a long hill.

To me that was the biggest incentive to switch, I was so tired of the constant nagging fear of engine failure that I already had for 3 years prior to the EB with my MS3. I do miss the light and nimble front end but not much else.
Stock for stock ok I agree but put good tune on eco you have a whole different machine,and not talking fp tune "dyno tuned " torque monster and yes I show off my tail to them regularly from light to light 1/8 ,1/4 mile all the time even the new in the 17 ,and 18 like last night . I saw.my first one in town put a few revs on me I say ok it's on drop down two map slots.from economy mode and dance with two step he didn't no what hit him rolled window down the light turned green I was gone .lol ,now my car is not a daily it a track weapon she's unicorn mate full flowing head balls ass I wouldn't even think of swapping her out not the same after few bolt on.. just my take with comparing.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I had a '15 EB Premium 301a Performance Pack (bought Nov '14) and trader her for a '17 GT Premium 401a last month with all options, except PP. I did not tune the EB.

I got a steal on the GT with a little over 8K off MSRP. It came down to me investing ~2K in the EB for intercooler, tune, and a few other things or the GT. I chose the GT and to invest the 2k back into the new car. If I hadn't gotten a great deal on the '17 I would have kept the EB and gone the tuned route.

Stock for Stock there isn't a comparison at all. The GT is noticeably faster, and spools so much more smoothly. Throw it into Sport Mode and it's even better (same on the EB too). The GT never feels strained. I purchased the Power Pack 2 and will have it installed Monday. I don't regret the decision to trade the EB, though I did enjoy it and felt it had enough power day to day. My gas milage isn't comparable, but I don't drive a ton, so no big deal.

So, this is the long way of saying - stock for stock I'd go GT. Tuned EB vs Stock GT is a tougher choice if you're comparing MSRPs. But, a GT can be modded as well. In the end just drive what you like. I'd have been happy enough to keep my EB, but I do love my GT more than my "old" car.

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I'm always surprised when I see guys getting these great deals on a trade up. I have a notification on cars. Com over a 150 mile radius. The best I have ever seen is my 15 premium plus 8000 for a base gt. Car for car to a gt is like 10000 to 12000. I was willing to go 10000 and my ecoboost for a GT until I drove them. I just like the roll on low end pull and torque without revving it in the ecoboost especially since I have an automatic . Love the top end revs of the Gt though.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I'm always surprised when I see guys getting these great deals on a trade up. I have a notification on cars. Com over a 150 mile radius. The best I have ever seen is my 15 premium plus 8000 for a base gt. Car for car to a gt is like 10000 to 12000. I was willing to go 10000 and my ecoboost for a GT until I drove them. I just like the roll on low end pull and torque without revving it in the ecoboost especially since I have an automatic . Love the top end revs of the Gt though.
If you're relying on cars.com you'll likely never find the best deals. On mine, Ford had $3500 cash back in early October and the dealer marked the car down almost 5K because it'd been on the lot a little while. You just have to be willing to do a tiny bit of due diligence and contact the dealers directly.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
A couple months ago I went to 3 different dealers and they starting working with me. I never got more then 18 to 19 for mine. Only paid 24 1.5 years earlier. Cheapest base new gt was 30000.a premium was 34000. I then started looking used with dealers or anywhere. Cheapest base was 27000 from small lot. Maybe could do a little better now but I will not get more then 19 for mine on trade. I certainly can't imagine I can get a new one for less then 28000. I got 4 used car notifications today. One for 28000 the other 3 for 30000.i just shake my head. I would certainly trade up for only 2000 but not for 10000 now. After driving the gt's I have a greater respect for the ecoboost and I used the 10000 on a modded 05 gt. Has the sound I love, runs strong and has a tough look.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
So wait, you’re comparing trade-in differential vs off MSRP? When you see us post, we’re discussing off MSRP not difference between trade-in and a new car. Those are two totally different things. You’re basically asking for a new GT for 21-22k. For a 1 or 2k gap between trade-in vs the new car.

Either way, in Texas there were 3500 rebates on Mustangs (other than GT350) at the beginning of October. You should have been able to get a base for not too much.

But, it sounds like what you owe vs trade-in value is what’s holding you up.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I guess i didn't understand your original post. I took it as though you were going to put about 2000 into the ecoboost but got such a good deal on the gt that you just trade your ecoboost and 2000 for the gt. I only owe about 5000 on the ecoboost. I sold off a bunch of performance parts that came on my ecoboost and Motorcycles which gave my about 9000. So to trade up to the gt was going to be pretty painless. Even to put out 12000 over my ecoboost I would only owe about 8000 total. Very manageable payment even with daughters college coming. Unfortunately I had expected too much from the gt performance when I test drove them all. I still think I will get into a gt one day. It will need to be tuned I think to get the performance I will be happy with. For now the 05 tuned and modified Gt is fun and gets lots of compliments. Plus the depreciation is going to be low for years when I plan to get something else. Although my 12 yo boy absolutely loves that car. Mostly the sound. Might hold onto the 05 for awhile.

Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
I wouldnt own a coyote powered car again unless it was in a 2800lb fox backed by a brick shit house billy bad ass tremec,S197 and s550 cars are just to fat in the ass to really feel good about sawing at the wheel when needed.Ive had my eco tie my hands up more then my 7 8 1000 hp foxbodys,they hate too much wheel speed and they dont like to rear steer correct,not so much with the s197 but those are fattys too.

My only beef other then not being able to foxbody abuse my eco is the constant bobble head swaggering effect the s550 gives you,any imperfections in the road and it just tracks them and it feels like the car is riding on slicks.Im not sinking suspension money into a car im financing and im sure as the hell not adding any more weight to it either with brackets and stablizers or whatever other heavy junk people are throwing at them.

Im hoping better tires will help,maybe even some poly cradle mounts.God its annoying.

K brace and IRS Brace job done tire won't to it..:eyebulge:

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I guess i didn't understand your original post.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying my choice was to spend 2K in cash to begin to upgrade the EB with an intercooler, tune, and a few other things, OR buy a GT. I didn't put any cash down. I traded my EB + the money off the GT (~8K). Though my EB wasn't paid off, it was worth more than what I owed. Trade-in was around what you were getting, maybe a little higher (~19.5k).

I kept the 2K cash I would have spent and "reinvested" it back into a few things for the GT including a Ford Performance Power Pack 2 (and the few things in my signature), and just left the rest in the bank. My car payment was less than my old payment, admittedly for a bit longer.

The difference in performance was noticeable to me, though as I said the EB wasn't tuned. My GT will be tuned as of Monday (I go in at 9AM).

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying my choice was to spend 2K in cash to begin to upgrade the EB with an intercooler, tune, and a few other things, OR buy a GT. I didn't put any cash down. I traded my EB + the money off the GT (~8K). Though my EB wasn't paid off, it was worth more than what I owed. Trade-in was around what you were getting, maybe a little higher (~19.5k).

I kept the 2K cash I would have spent and "reinvested" it back into a few things for the GT including a Ford Performance Power Pack 2 (and the few things in my signature), and just left the rest in the bank. My car payment was less than my old payment, admittedly for a bit longer.

The difference in performance was noticeable to me, though as I said the EB wasn't tuned. My GT will be tuned as of Monday (I go in at 9AM).

This is about the same for me. I had $1500 saved towards a turbo upgrade and just so happened to walk in and ask about the GT that was sitting on the lot one Saturday when I was driving by. I wasn't upside down in the EB and they gave my 18.5k for it, plus the 44,500 MSRP on the 5.0 was marked down to 34,000 and they came down even more when I pointed out I could drive just a little further and get a Grabber Blue PP car for 30,500 at a dealer about 50 miles away. Put the $1500 down on the car and walked out with the GT financed for less than 25k.

Also, nice choice of color :D

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yeah, Those plans you guys did was about what I was planning too. I have heard of a few guys post that they trade in a eco for a Gt with like 15$ more payment same amount of years and all. Thats why I messed up and thought that was sort of what you were mentioning.
I look forward to driving a tuned GT one day to get an idea of the performance increase especially the daily driving roll on power. I was really impressed how much a couple bolt ons and tune made for the 05 GT. I drove a stock 05 first the same day I drove my first 15 GT and it was not impressive. Then for the heck of it drove this one which looked mean and was very surprised how it ran and even handled. I would also love to drive a tuned Ecoboost one day too.
Since I figure I will get into a newer GT one day is the reason I hold off on tuning. If I were to pop the Eco and need to spend a few grand to get it running again that would certainly delay a GT purchase. Maybe can pick up a used Supercharged one in a couple years. We'll see. For now the intercooler and Pedalmax do fine to make this a quick daily driver. And the 05 is fun for the weekends and takes me back to my first car which was a 1982 black GT.
05mustang.jpg

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Yeah, Those plans you guys did was about what I was planning too. I have heard of a few guys post that they trade in a eco for a Gt with like 15$ more payment same amount of years and all. Thats why I messed up and thought that was sort of what you were mentioning.
I look forward to driving a tuned GT one day to get an idea of the performance increase especially the daily driving roll on power. I was really impressed how much a couple bolt ons and tune made for the 05 GT. I drove a stock 05 first the same day I drove my first 15 GT and it was not impressive. Then for the heck of it drove this one which looked mean and was very surprised how it ran and even handled. I would also love to drive a tuned Ecoboost one day too.
Since I figure I will get into a newer GT one day is the reason I hold off on tuning. If I were to pop the Eco and need to spend a few grand to get it running again that would certainly delay a GT purchase. Maybe can pick up a used Supercharged one in a couple years. We'll see. For now the intercooler and Pedalmax do fine to make this a quick daily driver. And the 05 is fun for the weekends and takes me back to my first car which was a 1982 black GT.
I miss my 2010 GT sometimes, I really liked that 4.6L car for all the 325hp it had. It sounded amazing, the TR3560 was a great transmission, and it rode really nice even with the live axle. I put 120k on the clock and loved every minute of it, not one single flaw with that car the entire time I owned it except the climate control blower went out right at the beginning.

Sponsored