Sponsored

FP trans cooling kit fitment

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
In addition to the info here, there are a few very detailed cooler install threads should you decide to :search:
I will be documenting my install thoroughly. Including wiring to help other members out. A lot jumping around on here to find all the info you need.

Dorman 800-603 quick connect may fit the Ford Cooler, but then you are left with a male NPSM fitting... How do you connect that to braided line? Pretty rare fitting.
You can use a NPSM female to NPT female then NPT to 8an. Not sure if there is a direct NPSM female to 8an fitting in existence.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
I will be documenting my install thoroughly. Including wiring to help other members out. A lot jumping around on here to find all the info you need.

You can use a NPSM female to NPT female then NPT to 8an. Not sure if there is a direct NPSM female to 8an fitting in existence.
That would work, but too many fittings IMO. Especially when aftermarket coolers are less than half the price of the Ford unit and already have NPT fittings, super easy line hookup, but then left reinventing the wheel on the brackets.

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That would work, but too many fittings IMO. Especially when aftermarket coolers are less than half the price of the Ford unit and already have NPT fittings, super easy line hookup, but then left reinventing the wheel on the brackets.
Given the space available and the tools at my disposal I chose to go the stock cooler route. I picked up for forward portion of the stock cooler oil line and will be modifying and re-flaring the ends to make it a JIC acceptable fitting. This way I only have to figure out plumbing from the wheel well to the trans with the pump mounted somewhere behind the pass wheel in case of a leak/failure.

Fabricating my own mounts is time consuming and a headache without a metal shop to work in.

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
What fittings/clamps did you use on the transmission drain/fill side?
I used an 8AN to 1/2" adapter plus a 90 degree hose end - part numbers are below. The fill area is pretty tight so put the adapter on first, then connect the 90 degree hose end.

Earl's Performance AN to NPT Adapter Fittings EAR-981688ERL
Straight, -8 AN Male to 1/2 in. NPT Male, Aluminum, Blue Anodized,

Aeroquip Reusable Hose Ends AER-FBM4433
90 Degree, -8 AN Hose to Female -8 AN, Aluminum, Black

OP
OP
ducatismo

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You don't need the whole kit, just get the radiator, air scoop, and associated bolts.
Mike R at Autonation Ford White Bear Lake can set you up - he got the right parts for me. Then finish the job using 8AN hose and an external pump. I just finished mine this past weekend and will post a write up after I track it this coming weekend.

Just checking in to see how the set up held up at the track. Everything work out well?

Sponsored

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
OP
OP
ducatismo

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yes, it was a blast! I summarized my build and first track test at the link below. I wore myself out and ran out of gas on a 90F day. The car ran perfectly. I also run the pump on the highway on hot days to keep the transmission below 200F.

http://http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89013&highlight=forum
Awesome!!
Did you install a diff cooler as well? I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not it has a sensor and if it's worth adding one.
P.S.- The build link you included is not opening.

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
Awesome!!
Did you install a diff cooler as well? I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not it has a sensor and if it's worth adding one.
P.S.- The build link you included is not opening.
Oops, try this link:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89013

I have not yet decided on adding a differential cooler. Everything I have heard so far is that it is not near as critical as the transmission cooler. I pushed the car pretty hard on a hot day and did not hit limp mode. I know the cooler would help the life of the oil and differential, but maybe I just need to change the oil more often. I plan to change the oil in the next few weeks at (my car has 9500 miles, 2 track days, and 1 autocross day). I will wait until next year to decide on the cooler.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Oops, try this link:

I have not yet decided on adding a differential cooler. Everything I have heard so far is that it is not near as critical as the transmission cooler. I pushed the car pretty hard on a hot day and did not hit limp mode. I know the cooler would help the life of the oil and differential, but maybe I just need to change the oil more often. I plan to change the oil in the next few weeks at (my car has 9500 miles, 2 track days, and 1 autocross day). I will wait until next year to decide on the cooler.
There's no temp sensor in the diff on tech pack cars, so a hot diff won't cause limp mode.

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
There's no temp sensor in the diff on tech pack cars, so a hot diff won't cause limp mode.
Thanks Hack, I should have realized that. From an old post, I wrote down that the differential would could cause limp mode at 250F for 30s, or 265F for 5s. But cars with temperature sensors also have a cooler and so should never get that hot. I guess I should add a differential cooler if I am going to track the car more than a couple of times a year.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Oops, try this link:

You might want to consider just adding the diff temp sensor to get the OEM diff temp dash display. Get some baseline info that could help inform your decision on the diff cooler.

All the info is in here...
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69499
Sponsored