Sponsored

Thinking of switching whipple to turbo, please discuss

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Many variables behind all of this tune, traction, launch rpm etc it is safe to say that 9 times out of 10 a supercharged car will pull away from a turbo car if it's not spooled up. The turbo doesn't really start making power until 4000 rpm and that's when the hp & tq come together and it starts to move, the turbo will ALWAYS make up the gap and pull away at the top end it has been proven time and time again. Usually blower cars run faster et to the 1/8 with less mph than a turbo but once the turbo hits the 1/8 the rest is history it will back half and leave the blower car behind every time.Now there is the odd time that a turbo setup is tuned right and all the moons align then it will run the front half of the track equal to or better than a blower car. PD blowers are fun as you have instant power at 2500 rpm plus but there is a price to pay as it takes a toll on the belt drive system to run the blower meaning snout, balancer, keyway, idlers and tensioner. Turbo's run off the exhaust but they are sensitive to turbine speed if it's low then no power so the key to them is to have them in the sweet spot for rpm then they move. Both work well but the way I see it is the turbo's will make more hp & tq with less boost and they really don't start to shine until over 20 psi and that's when the real potential is revealed.
My Hellion setup goes 9's at 140 on 12-13 psi, whereas my tvs setup went 10.5's at 135 on the same boost. The biggest difference these days is in the boost controllers, I can hit full boost 1000whp+ in 1 second flat with my Boost Leash, zero lag. A pair of solenoids controls my wastegate, don't have to wait for the turbos to spool, I'd never run a turbo setup with a BL. I program my launch on low boost for the first 1 second then go 100% Boost. I was cutting 1.4's off my foot brake last night then going sideways 70ft off the line, kept having to pull power and rate out of my launch, went 6.2's at 117mph on 13-14psi. No doubt a whipple has a more immediate response but if a turbo is setup properly it will dominate the front half and back half. 20psi on my setup traps 120+ in the 8th and 150+ in the qtr, there isn't a whipple setup on this forum that touches those numbers on the same boost. I love both power adders but I'll never go back to a blower.
Sponsored

Last edited:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I get all that, but what you give up is drivability and tune-ability. There is no way a TH400 setup for 2000whp is going to shift all nicey nice, downshift without putting your face in the steering wheel, and feel like youre beating on the car just cruising on the highway at 70mph at 4200rpms. Maybe I don't know enough, but that's my biggest gripe.
You are correct about the driveability not being as good as stock however with the right converter it should be tight enough not to slip and flare up at highway speeds. Some TH 400' s actually free wheel in high gear so you need to be careful what you buy the high gear drums in TH 400's are known to explode if put into neutral at high rpm that's why they go with a billet drum. The best transmission for control would be a manual as you can chose the gear you want with a simple heel toe downshift to avoid any clunking or jerking but reliability of the clutch and trans may be an issue. Let's face it we are trying to take this car where it was never designed to go so some trade offs are just the nature of the beast.:thumbsup:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My Hellion setup goes 9's at 140 on 12-13 psi, whereas my tvs setup went 10.5's at 135 on the same boost. The biggest difference these days is in the boost controllers, I can hit full boost 1000whp+ in 1 second flat with my Boost Leash, zero lag. A pair of solenoids controls my wastegate, don't have to wait for the turbos to spool, I'd never run a turbo setup with a BL. I program my launch on low boost for the first 1 second then go 100% Boost. I was cutting 1.4's off my foot brake last night then going sideways 70ft off the line, kept having to pull power and rate out of my launch, went 6.2's at 117mph on 13-14psi. No doubt a whipple has a more immediate response but if a turbo is setup properly it will dominate the front half and back half. 20psi on my setup traps 120+ in the 8th and 150+ in the qtr, there isn't a whipple setup on this forum that touches those numbers on the same boost. I love both power adders but I'll never go back to a blower.
Most turbo set up's have full boost coming in at 7 to 8 tenths of a second and you are correct about the Whipple or any PD for that fact it's simple other than a couple of cars with major engine work cams, heads, full exhaust and 20 plus psi boost there aren't many PD cars trapping over 140 mph turbo's go 145 plus falling out of a tree.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
I have gone mid 9's at 145 in a stock motor and trans Whipple auto at 5000 ft DA. The Whipple is no joke. A built 6r80 will hold 1k hp when tuned correctly which is also no joke. It all depends on OP's goals but a low 9 at 150mph can be done on the Whipple and 6r80 pretty easily.

I swapped to turbo because my goal is an 8.99@150+.

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
^only with a Bjonnes tune though, haha

Sponsored

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have gone mid 9's at 145 in a stock motor and trans Whipple auto at 5000 ft DA. The Whipple is no joke. A built 6r80 will hold 1k hp when tuned correctly which is also no joke. It all depends on OP's goals but a low 9 at 150mph can be done on the Whipple and 6r80 pretty easily.

I swapped to turbo because my goal is an 8.99@150+.
You are then 1 of the very few that went over 140 mph with the Whipple most others are under that and to do that at 5000 ft you had more going on that you care to tell how many others on this forum are struggling to hit 140 mph lots, as for the tranny swap I was referring to cars that are manual going to an auto for the cost and hassle involved with a 6R80 swap it's not worth it just for an OD for the same price you can build a bullet proof trans and never think about it again. 6R80 with a trans brake isn't going to get it done without breaking the case.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Guy I bought my kit from went 9.5 @ 146 stock motor and stock auto, e85 and lots of boost
IMG_4854.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

PowerAdderGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You are then 1 of the very few that went over 140 mph with the Whipple most others are under that and to do that at 5000 ft you had more going on that you care to tell how many others on this forum are struggling to hit 140 mph lots, as for the tranny swap I was referring to cars that are manual going to an auto for the cost and hassle involved with a 6R80 swap it's not worth it just for an OD for the same price you can build a bullet proof trans and never think about it again. 6R80 with a trans brake isn't going to get it done without breaking the case.
It's not a secret, 10 rib+OD balancer+good fuel system+good tune=140+ traps, IMO

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
It's not a secret, 10 rib+OD balancer+good fuel system+good tune=140+ traps, IMO
Plus good driver. I have all of the above and not hitting that :(

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly!! Not a secret just the balls to run some boost and timing on E85. Shifting at 7700+.

Most people on here don't use the capabilities of the whipple kit.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I'm just not a fan of max effort PD builds for four reasons. Too hard on engine, it's harder on the drivetrain, it's not as cost effective in my opinion, nailing down traction on them street or strip isn't for the novice and even then it's not cake. I do like the whipple offering I think they have a great packaged set ups. But mid 9s or faster on a PD, go another route.

I prefer turbo or centri
Sponsored