Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
And here I thought I was the only one with a broken exhaust. Here's my thread on it. Dealer didn't say anything about resonator delete warranty but I don't think they realized it was done because it was the first 350 they've had come in for work. When the new exhaust comes in and they see it's different, then it may change. Still waiting on the new exhaust, been a week.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85064
Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I understand peoples frustration, but look at it from the dealer point of view for one second.

When a part is changed under warranty, its subject to a call back so the dealer has to retain the part until ford says they can throw it away. What could happen in theory is Ford could want the dealer to send them the exhaust system so they can figure out how it failed. In which case, when ford gets it back and sees that the exhaust system has been modified they bounce the claim and the dealer gets charged back for the parts and labor. I doubt you will find a dealer willing to gamble $3000 in parts and labor because you decided to modify your exhaust. it cannot be proven as others have stated that this modification is related to the failure but it won't matter.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I understand peoples frustration, but look at it from the dealer point of view for one second.

When a part is changed under warranty, its subject to a call back so the dealer has to retain the part until ford says they can throw it away. What could happen in theory is Ford could want the dealer to send them the exhaust system so they can figure out how it failed. In which case, when ford gets it back and sees that the exhaust system has been modified they bounce the claim and the dealer gets charged back for the parts and labor. I doubt you will find a dealer willing to gamble $3000 in parts and labor because you decided to modify your exhaust. it cannot be proven as others have stated that this modification is related to the failure but it won't matter.
Yep. The dealer doesn't find out it's been denied until it's too late.

I think we all know that when we modify our vehicles, we begin to take our warranty into our own hands... at the very least, we'll have to deal with some extra hurdles if anything goes wrong.

Easiest way to avoid this is to leave it stock!

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Sucks, sounds like a crappy situation. I'm about to take my R in because the left muffled has a rattle in it that the right does not and it really bothers me. Maybe you should try another dealership from I now on. Good luck.

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
My car began making a noise from the rear of the vehicle. sounds like sanford and sons from 1.5-2k rpm. In parking lots its like a 1973 beater. I thought it might be due to a body repair made to the rear of the vehicle 3 weeks ago, they changed the entire piece surrounding exhaust.
I started hearing some noise back there too, especially in a somewhat enclosed area. So my question is, does it really have to do with the exhaust and i have not modified my car in any way. thank in advance.

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
That dealer is just being a dou*hebag. This is not something FCA needs to approve for warranty repair. This makes no sense as the dealer gets paid by FCA so why hassles the customer? All he did was ensure you never go there again.

I totally get that the dealer can say the resonator delete caused this but if they fixed it, everyone is happy and it's no skin off the dealers nose. This seems like a pretty stupid move by the dealer. As someone else also mentioned, the only difference between the GT350 and GT350R exhaust is the R has the resonators removed from the factory.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
That dealer is just being a dou*hebag. This is not something FCA needs to approve for warranty repair. This makes no sense as the dealer gets paid by FCA so why hassles the customer? All he did was ensure you never go there again.

I totally get that the dealer can say the resonator delete caused this but if they fixed it, everyone is happy and it's no skin off the dealers nose. This seems like a pretty stupid move by the dealer. As someone else also mentioned, the only difference between the GT350 and GT350R exhaust is the R has the resonators removed from the factory.
As someone else already stated if the dealer warranties this then the Ford requests the part back and it has been alterted modified improved etc. then when Ford receives it they will debit the claim and dealer will lose everything the part and labor and also could get warranty fraud violation so no smart dealer is going to do this.

As has been stated if the part was stock it would be a no questions asked scenario.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000

The dealer does get paid, but can also be charged back. Yes, the R doesn't have resonators but it was manufactured that way. The difference is that someone physically cut out a section of the OE exhaust and welded in something else. as in modified the OEM part. :shrug:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If it were a case like the over axle pipes of the S197's this might have been a different story but unfortunately the primary piping is part of the muffler system. Being one OEM part number, that's going to be an ouchy. Blah...

Creedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Anyone know of a resonator delete or complete cat back replacement causing a warranty claim denial for engine or transmission? I know, I know it has to cause it but a dealership could deny it and make you do the grunt work to get the engine/transmission covered from exhaust work. I’m not talking about touching the headers or cats as I’ll leave those completely untouched. And no tune either, just by having either of these exhaust mods.

Sponsored

Yetitime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pak
I did the Borla ATAK swap, had the dealer do the installation & they warrantied it. About 2 months later had one of the actuators act up and they replaced both under warranty. I did pay a bit more for installation but now, if anything goes wrong the dealer stands behind their work and components. I personally think it has to do both with the work and the dealer you are dealing with.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I just had my cats replaced under warranty and I have a Shiftek on mine. No issues.

JTVUDOO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I’ll give you the perspective of the Factory, I spent my career on that side. If you modify the exhaust from what left the assembly line and a failure happens after, I can deny the claim on the dealer (if parts were inspected). Many times exhaust parts are a requested recovery because they are inclusive of emission cert. parts. This most assurably what result in a debit of the claim. Some dealers are more shakey on taking this risk. I can see if the dealer made the Mode, they would be more helpful. Good luck.

Creedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
JTVUDOO, since you have been directly related to Ford is your reply speaking about the exhaust mod and the OP’s original warranty concern or any mod means any denial of warranty claim? I have everything done (any mods and regular service) through the dealership during the warranty period on the car. I simply want to take off the resonators (or a new cat back) but I’m concerned about the larger components like the engine, transmission, suspension and electrical system. Will removing the resonators (or a cat back system) risk coverage on those items? I will accept the responsibility for any issues on the exhaust system if there are any problems later for those parts. My service advisor and the technician at the dealership say no but they might not be there when any problems arise in the future.

I know it is a slippery slope once you start modding and the stock exhaust system sounds great but even my mother in law says the car is too quiet! “Your last mustang was much louder and sounded better. I could always hear you coming down the street. I can barely hear you now.” “Thanks mom, I love hearing that” was my reply.
Sponsored