Sponsored

Which of these 3 tuners should I buy? (Ecoboost stock)

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Depends on what you want... I had another tuner now I'm with ford performance. I don't see me leaving it (but hell, I said I'd never leave unleashed... lol). Give me two years, out of warranty and big turbo itch, I'll be with a customer tuner.

I say Ford performance unless you want to mod heavily later or you are in warranty and want to keep your warranty... or you have an auto and want a car that drives VERY well. Power delivery on the FP tune is amazing.

All depends on what you want to do.

At this point, not sure you can go wrong... with the tuners you are looking at.... no smoking guns...
Sponsored

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
You might choose your tuner by the tuning device they use,
FP= no option, 1 shot deal
SCT- limited tuners, limited device use, future tunes
NG= limited tuners, big numbers, future tunes
CobbAP= many tuner options and a very useful monitoring device, lifetime tunes
there are a few new respectable tuners jumping on board now, so the future is bright.
I'm looking forward to Mountune, they kicked ass on my ST

disclosure, AP and Tune+ at the moment. awesome, but always open to the latest and greatest.

as previously posted, Peak numbers mean Jack Shit if your ride is a daily driver.
Ngauge can monitor just about anything an accessport can just an FYI.... And not just big numbers but Lund definitely has the best reliability also.

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
Ngauge can monitor just about anything an accessport can just an FYI.... And not just big numbers but Lund definitely has the best reliability also.
Is it possible to switch tunes on the fly with a Ngauge?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Question: What's faster? A stock ecoboost or a tuned ecoboost with a hole in the block and oil spewing out of it?

Some food for thought: Most of these tunes only cost about $600. A new engine will run you around $5k to $7k. Your sig states you have a 2016 so I'm betting you have low mileage and a fair amount of warranty left.

I would advise getting the Ford Performance tune FIRST, run that until the warranty is up and if your not satisfied then you can step up to something hotter. You'll also have a window to make sure there are no factory defects in your engine which can manifest over time (during the warranty period).

We just had a car that was tuned with Cobb Stage 3 blow an engine, it was very unlikely to be related to the tune, the cam bolt sheared off and caused catastrophic damage. That happened at 18k miles. Despite that being a factory defect (aka a Ford defect), the owner had to foot the bill because it was tuned which nullified his power train warranty.

Is an extra $600 (for a second tune after warranty) worth 36k/3y of peace and mind to prove out the engine (aka infant mortality period)? In my opinion it is, because my car, like the bigger majority of people on this forum, is a daily driver which I depend on every day. You might be surprised at how well the car performs with the Ford Performance tune and an upgraded Front Mount Inter Cooler like the CP-e (which will work with ANY tune and is really a necessity when tuning, ask anyone on this forum).

We just had a Tune+ car hole the block (still awaiting final determination as to the extent of the damage) as well as an Unleashed tuned car throw a rod because he didn't switch (aka he didn't know or remember) to the winter tune / re-tune and then there's the Cobb one I mentioned above. If you scavenge the forum there are others as well.

Some of these failures are related to the tune, some user error and others Ford defects. How knowledgeable are you? How picky and religious are you about maintenance, monitoring your engine constantly for the slightest sign of trouble? How much spare cash do you have on hand to cover a possible engine replacement?

Be wise, be patient and enjoy going home NOT in a tow truck. You can always upgrade in the future, why not start on the safe side and work you way up?

Now, who here wants to criticize me for typing too long of a post? If you do I'll type 100,000 words next time...:paddle:

Last edited:

SVODNA15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
If your still looking for a tuner I went with Torrie at unleashed tuning and it's by far the best thing I have done with my car. I believe his price is 399

Sponsored

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Is it possible to switch tunes on the fly with a Ngauge?
No you cant, it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to change the tune. I have changed tunes while im putting gas in the car if I go from E85 to Gas right there at the station, takes about the same about of time as a fill up LOL. I think the only tuner that can change tunes on the fly is the Cobb, which is kinda cool, but in the end when you have a good tune, you wonder to yourself why its important to take your good tune out of the car. I even make my long 1100 mile road trips on E85 now, did a few gas runs for the mileage, but in the end, the cost was the same since E85 is a lot cheaper than 91 here in CA, and I like to have full power at all times, so my race tune stays in the car always.

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
From your post it looks like you're considering off-the-shelf tunes, mine is custom.

I also haven't done my 0-60 times on the Track Apps since I was stock (the only time that app is even remotely accurate). If you have good tires and an automatic transmission, you can hit sub 5 seconds regardless of mods. So what would it really tell you? (Huge 0-60 thread somewhere if you want to look.)

I can hit 1.7 second 60ft times w/ stick shift at the track. (Again, really a tire/launch combo) GO TUNE+!! lol

Bottom line, there's a lot of reading to do.
KEY WORDS: "Good Tires" My 0-60 is normally around 6 seconds even with all my mods because I have the wimpy HanKook 235's. I could be launching it wrong but the best iv'e ever done was 5.6... which is pretty slow :headbonk:

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
I'm a cobb accessport owner so I first and foremost would recommend that tuning device, as I believe it has the most features for the price.

That said my 100% complete Unbias opinion is to look into both the Cobb Accessport and have Tune+ do a custom tune or the NGauge available from Lund Racing and have Lund do a custom Tune. Both devices are to me the best available on the market right now and both tuners have had great success with ecoboost cars. Livernois as a shop IMO is also great I just do not like the tuning device they use, but they would be my 3rd suggestion.

The only reason I would tell you to even consider the Ford Performance deal is if you are concerned about voiding your warranty. That tune at least allows you to keep it. If you do not care about warranty then get for one of the other devices and get a custom tune.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
From your post it looks like you're considering off-the-shelf tunes, mine is custom.

I also haven't done my 0-60 times on the Track Apps since I was stock (the only time that app is even remotely accurate). If you have good tires and an automatic transmission, you can hit sub 5 seconds regardless of mods. So what would it really tell you? (Huge 0-60 thread somewhere if you want to look.)

I can hit 1.7 second 60ft times w/ stick shift at the track. (Again, really a tire/launch combo) GO TUNE+!! lol

Bottom line, there's a lot of reading to do.
I wish I had good tires. I have a 4.7 0-60 on my stock all season 235 goodyears. Can only imagine what I would do on a good 275 summer tire or even a radial.

OP
OP

Rcampos04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang 2016
Hello everyone,

So I did my research, going for the nGauge. Also buying some custom NGK spark plugs .028

They are asking my for my PCM code, having some trouble indentifying it:

Is it TMN1? Some pages says thats the Strategy code and not the PCM

Please let me know if Im wrong

Thanks in advance

Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Lund Racing nGauges and custom tunes go on sale here at Lethal Performance on the 22nd and 23rd of December so for anyone looking for a bad ass custom tune you definitely don't want to miss out on this one.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I never gave them my code, when you fill it out, just leave it blank. They just really need to know if you have a performance pack car or a base car, so let them know in the notes or somewhere.

OP
OP

Rcampos04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang 2016
I never gave them my code, when you fill it out, just leave it blank. They just really need to know if you have a performance pack car or a base car, so let them know in the notes or somewhere.
Not sure, I cannot add it to the car neither on Cjpony parts nor Lund direct page as well if I not fill the PCM Code

Appears to be a requiered field

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Not sure, I cannot add it to the car neither on Cjpony parts nor Lund direct page as well if I not fill the PCM Code

Appears to be a requiered field
I just messaged Jon Lund, and he said just write anything, write " unknown "

OP
OP

Rcampos04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang 2016
I just messaged Jon Lund, and he said just write anything, write " unknown "

You can tell Lund that you earn him another customer, looking for further mods on the road and keep tuning and tuning with every change the Lund way
Sponsored