HOW TO GET TRUE 3" TURBO BACK EXHAUST

vogtaction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium ecoboost auto mustang
So I'm trying to get to the point where I can upgrade my cobb to stage 3 programming. Since I already have the fftec intercooler and mmr cai , I just need the catback and downpipe.
The issue I'm running into is that every manufacturer I can find out there uses a smaller 2 1/2in or 2 1/4in where the downpipe and catback connect. It seems as though they would make them all 3in and then also ship with adapters for people that dont need both and are hooking directly up to their stock parts.
It seems like you are defeating the purpose of having a 3in system if in the middle you have to go down to 2 1/2? Is this just how it is with all aftermarket bolt ons or would you have to cut and weld if you want a true 3in all the way through?
Any help would be great... I'm looking at getting the MBPR street catback with the Megan downpipe since I'm trying to stay under $1000.00 for all.
Thanks
Sponsored

eXtremyst_v1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost PP
I've heard of people cutting out the taper on the MBRP and welding in a 3-inch straight-through resonator to go along with their 3-in DP. Seems like the best idea for sound (especially if you're going catless) and airflow and will most likely be what I do. Any exhaust shop should be able to do it easy.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
CP-e's downpipe comes with both, a factory connector and a 3" connector. Their exhaust also can be purchased without the reduced section making the entire exhaust a 3" system.

If you want a full 3", then cut out the reduced portions of the exhaust, downpipe, or both, then add some addition 3" piping back with a nice 3" v-band clamp to separate them in the future. That'd be the easiest way to achieve what you want short of buying a full 3" kit, like the CP-e.

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
Mishimoto sells a downpipe and an adapter for their exhaust to eliminate the reducer. I'm considering this exhaust myself and seeing if the adapter will fit my eBay ATP downpipe.

If you search around you could probably get the exhaust and downpipe combo for a little over a grand.

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
If you are not stuck on having a dual outlet exhaust and want to save a bunch of weight the Ultimate Racing single 3" is true 3" if you run their DP and the exhaust. It doesn't use the stock 2.5" Donut Gasket that most DP's use and even eliminates the hard 90* bends that most DP's have as well as most all the bends possible in the rest of the exhaust.

b00sted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost - 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
I've heard of people cutting out the taper on the MBRP and welding in a 3-inch straight-through resonator to go along with their 3-in DP. Seems like the best idea for sound (especially if you're going catless) and airflow and will most likely be what I do. Any exhaust shop should be able to do it easy.
This is exactly what I did.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
I sell and recommend the MAPerformance 3" turboback. True 3" from the turbo to midpipe connection then 2.5" dual out the back Anything above that is overkill for the stock turbo. We are running almost 700whp through this exhaust system, and we even sell muffler deletes if you want to have a track only setup to swap on whenever you want.

Email [email protected] for pricing and availability.

Also you shouldn't be running a Cobb Stage 2 or 3 without their products. Their tunes are only designed to be used with their products. Not using them in conjunction will cause poor performance.

Sponsored

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic

Spoolin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost PP 6spd Manual
Correct, MAPerformance has the best steel tig work in the business.
MBRP quite possibly has the worst welds I've ever seen from a "finished" product sold by a company, but I still like the sound lol.

wsfrazier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 M6 401a
I sell and recommend the MAPerformance 3" turboback. True 3" from the turbo to midpipe connection then 2.5" dual out the back Anything above that is overkill for the stock turbo. We are running almost 700whp through this exhaust system, and we even sell muffler deletes if you want to have a track only setup to swap on whenever you want.

Email [email protected] for pricing and availability.

Also you shouldn't be running a Cobb Stage 2 or 3 without their products. Their tunes are only designed to be used with their products. Not using them in conjunction will cause poor performance.
You like the MAP over the Full-Race catback system? The Full-Race looks pretty well built as well, was going to go with their race system that was just the center resonator with no mufflers.

Not sure if I want a resonator with no mufflers, or no resonator and mufflers :(
Sponsored