Sponsored

2018 GT vs 2016 Camaro - Track Times Compared w/Video

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Wow. Seems like the shock is causing some of the Mustang boys to melt with fake logic.

P.S. I have no horse in this race, as I own neither a Camaro, nor a Mustang. In fact I have never owned a Camaro in my life, but have owned and tracked a Mustang GT for 3 years - which I quite enjoyed.

It seems quite clear that with all its faults, the Camaro simply outhandles the Mustang S550 by very large margins. The faith that the Mustang boys had on Magnaride, Pilot Sports 4S, redesigned suspension, PP1, etc was simply misplaced. The gap remains immense.

Or so they say.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I never thought PP1 was going to be enough for the 1LE, its simply a monster on the track. That's why I was somewhat disappointed when it came out... then ford released the PP2, and I knew that would be a fair competitor. I mean, hell... Ford claims that they managed to shave over 3.5 seconds off the PP1 time in their PP2 around grattan raceway (about the same length as streets of willow), so assuming that the time difference would be similar on streets of willow, that would truly make it a driver's race between the Mustang and Camaro. That's the car that was built to compete with the 1LE, not the PP1. PP1 is for the street cruiser who MIGHT go to the track once or twice in their life. PP2 is for the track guy who can't afford a GT350R

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Why would we be on suicide watch? Seems to me that 6gen camero owners are a bunch of sandy b*****s. I joined their forum to shoot the shit and I’ve never seen such sensitive people in my life. All over a N/A 2018 GT. If the GT500 has 700+ there will be a bunch of hangings on C6.
Hate to be the one to point out the irony of your complaint...

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Well Motortrend 1le vs GTPP comparison didn't turn out well. Ford really needs to lose weight out of these cars and increase the overall torque instead of focusing on just increasing the horsepower and peak torque. The lap time is also lower than a regular ss as well (1:23.15). I also want to see what a PP2 can do against the 1le. The acceleration, grip, and quarter mile times were also lower compared to the 1le. I am starting to believe the new 1le can actually perform really close to a GT350R.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Time to bust out the C6G playbook.

How do we know the Camaro was stock? It could have had a secret tune from GM. I am not impressed with a ringer. MT may also have been paid by GM to hype up the car with a fake time to help the terrible sales numbers.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Time to bust out the C6G playbook.

How do we know the Camaro was stock? It could have had a secret tune from GM. I am not impressed with a ringer. MT may also have been paid by GM to hype up the car with a fake time to help the terrible sales numbers.
I would rather ask Ford when is the last time you test your cars against the real competition before the production? I m guessing it was in 2014 with the GT350R against the Z28 camaro!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Wow. Seems like the shock is causing some of the Mustang boys to melt with fake logic.

P.S. I have no horse in this race, as I own neither a Camaro, nor a Mustang. In fact I have never owned a Camaro in my life, but have owned and tracked a Mustang GT for 3 years - which I quite enjoyed.

It seems quite clear that with all its faults, the Camaro simply outhandles the Mustang S550 by very large margins. The faith that the Mustang boys had on Magnaride, Pilot Sports 4S, redesigned suspension, PP1, etc was simply misplaced. The gap remains immense.

Or so they say.
I'm sorry, what you're saying is idiotic, no one thought this was going to be close. The results went just as everyone thought they would. The tire compound and size of the GTPP1 is similar to the standard SS and as such, the GTPP1 performs similarly. The 1LE enjoys massive sized front and rear tires with a more track oriented compound.

It's pretty obvious of your bias with your comments.

Well Motortrend 1le vs GTPP comparison didn't turn out well. Ford really needs to lose weight out of these cars and increase the overall torque instead of focusing on just increasing the horsepower and peak torque. The lap time is also lower than a regular ss as well (1:23.15). I also want to see what a PP2 can do against the 1le. The acceleration, grip, and quarter mile times were also lower compared to the 1le. I am starting to believe the new 1le can actually perform really close to a GT350R.
The PP1 performs damn near the same as the SS. Seeing as they both have similar sized wheels and tires and have similar summer compounds, this is right where everyone expected it to be.

As for the acceleration, it's only 0.1 seconds slower in the 1/4 and quite a bit faster in the standing mile. I'd call those mostly a draw.

As for the 1LE vs the GT350R, not a chance in hell.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry, what you're saying is idiotic, no one thought this was going to be close. The results went just as everyone thought they would. The tire compound and size of the GTPP1 is similar to the standard SS and as such, the GTPP1 performs similarly. The 1LE enjoys massive sized front and rear tires with a more track oriented compound.

It's pretty obvious of your bias with your comments.

The PP1 performs damn near the same as the SS. Seeing as they both have similar sized wheels and tires and have similar summer compounds, this is right where everyone expected it to be.

As for the acceleration, it's only 0.1 seconds slower in the 1/4 and quite a bit faster in the standing mile. I'd call those mostly a draw.

As for the 1LE vs the GT350R, not a chance in hell.
When are you and people like you are going to wake up? Because of people like you, Ford is not delivering. Stop with the nonsense and comeback to reality! It is a draw you say. You are one funny guy!

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Hate to be the one to point out the irony of your complaint...
What exactly would that be? I’ve tried to race several local camaros, only 1 came out, everyone else is nothing but excuses. What a pathetic community that is.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
When are you and people like you are going to wake up? Because of people like you, Ford is not delivering. Stop with the nonsense and comeback to reality! It is a draw you say. You are one funny guy!
Acceleration is a draw, yes. Are you blind?

The PP1 was not meant to be a 1LE beater. It's stupid to try to say otherwise. Just look at the options on both.

The PP2 is engineering's attempt to match the 1LE, it's blatantly obvious to see that.

This is no more a loss for Ford than if you tried to match a base GT against the 1LE. It's an absurd comparison. Everyone knows it.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Acceleration is a draw, yes. Are you blind?

The PP1 was not meant to be a 1LE beater. It's stupid to try to say otherwise. Just look at the options on both.

The PP2 is engineering's attempt to match the 1LE, it's blatantly obvious to see that.

This is no more a loss for Ford than if you tried to match a base GT against the 1LE. It's an absurd comparison. Everyone knows it.
0-60 times mustang 4.4s vs both ss and ss1le 4.1s! You call this a draw? You really are blind and should stop with your nonsense. If you are only looking at the quarter mile time, good luck at the real world with stop lights and speed limits! Wake up just trust me! I m sure MT will test the PP2 and that fails then what are you going to say or blame? Just wake up!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
0-60 times mustang 4.4s vs both ss and ss1le 4.1s! You call this a draw? You really are blind and should stop with your nonsense. If you are only looking at the quarter mile time, good luck at the real world with stop lights and speed limits! Wake up just trust me! I m sure MT will test the PP2 and that fails then what are you going to say or blame? Just wake up!
I must have missed the memo where we stopped measuring 1/4 mile times and only record 0-60. GTFO with your BS.

1/4 mile is a wash and the GT walks the 1LE in the standing mile.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished watching the comparison video... the complaints for the mustang seemed to be;
1. too much understeer (fixed in PP2 with square tire setup)
2. too much body roll (fixed in PP2 with stiffer springs, sway bars, etc.)
3. damping is sloppy (fixed in PP2 with stiffer and more responsive magride tuning)
4. too expensive (PP2 similarly spec'd to 1LE is $500 cheaper)
5. not enough grip (fixed in PP2 with 305 MPSC2 tires)

Complaints for Camaro;
1. interior (can't be fixed from factory)
2. visibility (can't be fixed from factory)

Any more questions as to why the PP2 would have been a more even competitor, Chebby guys?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
However, after declaring the Camaro the winner, they said "... until Performance Pack 2 comes out. See ya again in 6 months!".

Looks like we're actually going to get a fair comparison... so, the question is, why did they even do the comparison. They even admitted that they feared the mustang wouldn't fare as well without PP2, so why not test it against it's true competitor. That's like if they would have done GT350 vs Camaro 2SS before the ZL1 came out
Sponsored