Uh Oh.....Hood Corrosion

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
This was a YUGE problem with the S197's including mine...I thought the new design may have cured it but I guess I was wrong.

I noticed bubbling on the paint along the edge of the hood - the forward edge above the left headlight. There are no rock chips in that area.

Has anyone else had this on the S550? How was it resolved? It is very small right now. How should I handle it? Does the dealer (or should they...) just repaint it, or does it need a new hood? I'd be interested to know how anyone else got it resolved.

If y'all haven't.....CHECK your hoods!!
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I noticed mine a few weeks ago, same place above the drivers side headlight.

New Cervinis hood should fix it.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I'm curious what will start to pop up now that we're coming up on almost 3 years of this model being out.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
I'm curious what will start to pop up now that we're coming up on almost 3 years of this model being out.
Fairly concerned about the evaporator issues been reported. That's about it as the car has been great. Although a low mileage fair weather garage queen for sure.

No rust on the hood, but the car only sees rain if it gets caught out in it. However, I will be having the car sprayed for the first time @ Krown. Essentially, a heavier version of WD40. The entire car gets essentially fumigated with it. Using it on various cars for 30 years. I have already done my brake and fuel lines by hand using the can. Also nailed a sensor and wiring sticking out of the side of the transmission because it was so exposed to the road.

https://www.krown.com/process/

PS I just looked and at each end of the hood on the underside about 3 inches is a 3/8 square hole that will easily accommodate an aerosol or even liquid oily lube.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Noticed a little piece around the hood vent chipped off.

Sponsored

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
I have the chip around the hood vent also 2016 GT, black also.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Here's what mine looks like. Very small for now but still noticeable, but this stuff spreads like cancer.

When you say chip do you mean something like this? There's a difference between a stone chip and paint that came off due to corrosion underneath.
hood.jpg

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I had the exact same thing on my 2015 Explorer, replaced under warranty , new hood

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
Isn't hood aluminum ?
aluminum still corrodes. just turns into a white flakey powder (aluminum oxide)

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
[MENTION=12962]15Pony[/MENTION]

Mine is identical.

john_688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I noticed mine a few weeks ago, same place above the drivers side headlight.

I had the same problem with my '06 & '13 , same location . Started both times after about 30 months .
Looks like it's still an issue with Ford after 12 years .

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
So one person had the hood replaced.... what is the proper fix for this? Can they fix it by sanding/treating/refinishing or does it require replacement because its aluminum?

I have an appt with the dealer but I'm worried because he said if Ford approves it they'll refinish it. But he may have just been saying that.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Update: Ford has approved the warranty repair. They have to make an appointment for a couple weeks from now. Not sure exactly what the repair is going to be though.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Update: Ford has approved the warranty repair. They have to make an appointment for a couple weeks from now. Not sure exactly what the repair is going to be though.
Thanks for the update. I touched mine up and it is very hard to see unless you're half a foot away from the spot- not super worried about it. But if it happens any more I'm definitely going to call it in.

Could you please keep us updated on specifically how they plan to repair it or if they replace it? :cheers:
Sponsored