Sponsored

'15 GT--Very Uneven Rear Tire Wear

Red15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT PP
Hey guys,

Hope you can help. I have a 2015 GT with PP; completely stock car besides cat-back. I have about 10,000mi on the car with its original Pirellis which are staggered therefore & can't be rotated.

Anyway, the right rear tire is almost bald while there is some tread left on the left rear tire. Very noticeable uneven wear. I also notice the rear right wheel slips when under hard acceleration while I rarely feel it slip on the left.

What could it be? Thanks!
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
With the performance pack (maybe all GT's?) It's got -1.5 degree of camber so it won't wear evenly by default. And yes your primary drive wheel will be more worn. My tires were basically bald in the back by 10k miles and I ran them up to 13k anyway. The fronts still had 75% tread.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Also I'll advise you to stay on the tire pressure like a hawk. I was letting mine get down to 28/29 PSI cold instead of 32 and I think it exacerbated the tire wear irregularities. Now I keep the information screen set on the TPMS info all the time.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
With the performance pack (maybe all GT's?) It's got -1.5 degree of camber so it won't wear evenly by default. And yes your primary drive wheel will be more worn. My tires were basically bald in the back by 10k miles and I ran them up to 13k anyway. The fronts still had 75% tread.
Camber doesn't effect tire wear that drastically, its the toe that does. I think the OP should get his alignment checked. Also tire pressure has a large effect on tire wear so it depends where the tire is more worn to determine if pressure had an effect.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
OP, Stop using line lock!, Just kidding 10k on Pirellis, if you have been driving even a bit 'spiritedly' is about normal

Sponsored

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
I have the stock Perellis with the 19" wheel package on my base GT and they are still really good after 10k miles. And I dont hold back in my driving either. Not sure how I keep reading of people with almost bald ones.

OP
OP

Red15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT PP
Thanks for all the responses. Yeah, I read it's normal to have to replace these tires by 10-15k miles. They are soft and I think driving them in the winter, which I do, wears them down even further. Thinking of going Michelin Super Sports all around or Michelin all seasons.

I just hope there is not a problem with my Torsen. I have my tire pressure around 33psi. Since it's staggered I've never been able to rotate and my fronts still have 50% tread. I'll upload a picture of what they look like in the back.

My warranty runs up in October so I have to get all this checked out by then. I got a quote to extend my warranty via Ford ESP premium care to 6 years 60,000mi for only $700. Since I only put on 5,000mi a year that's a killer deal I think I'll grab for peace of mind. You can buy them from Ford dealers online and there are two dealerships that are known for selling the extended warranty plans at hugely discounted rates, $1,000+ off. It's from Flood Ford in case anyone is curious.

But for the first poster saying that it's because it's my drive wheel, shouldn't the Torsen LSD send power equally to both wheels? Thanks!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the responses. Yeah, I read it's normal to have to replace these tires by 10-15k miles. They are soft and I think driving them in the winter, which I do, wears them down even further. Thinking of going Michelin Super Sports all around or Michelin all seasons.

I just hope there is not a problem with my Torsen. I have my tire pressure around 33psi. Since it's staggered I've never been able to rotate and my fronts still have 50% tread. I'll upload a picture of what they look like in the back.

My warranty runs up in October so I have to get all this checked out by then. I got a quote to extend my warranty via Ford ESP premium care to 6 years 60,000mi for only $700. Since I only put on 5,000mi a year that's a killer deal I think I'll grab for peace of mind. You can buy them from Ford dealers online and there are two dealerships that are known for selling the extended warranty plans at hugely discounted rates, $1,000+ off. It's from Flood Ford in case anyone is curious.

But for the first poster saying that it's because it's my drive wheel, shouldn't the Torsen LSD send power equally to both wheels? Thanks!!
This may help.

http://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports/differential/differential.html

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's a powerful sports car. It will have extra camber for handling as well as the power to go through tires.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
He's not talking about rear vs front wear, he's talking about rear pass vs rear driver wear, passenger being higher.

This was explained in posts above as a function of how differentials work. There isn't a problem with your Torsen, mine is the same way.

Sponsored

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
Resurrecting an old thread here, but thought Iā€™d add my 2cents.

Iā€™ve noticed nearside rear tyre wear is greater than offside rear too, as described by OP.

Whatā€™s interesting is I am right hand drive (being in the UK). So my nearside tyre that is wearing more quickly is the rear left - opposite to OP. Does this perhaps prove the uneven wear left/right is just a factor of more roundabouts etc (lots more right hand than left hand turns in UK).

Also I have the outside of the tyres themselves more worn than the insides. My pressures all 32psi cold (and I keep a good eye on them). I have read the uneven wear across the tyre itself can be helped by inflating to higher pressure, I may try this and see what happens.

Just reinforces how important tyre rotation is - if anything is uneven, swap it with a side/axle to ā€˜halfā€™ the problem :)

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Camber and toe, Tire pressure all are a factor.

Also the Pirelli tires suck

That is all.
Sponsored