Gas fill up problem

chunter415

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2019 F150
So I know this might sound like a stupid owner problem, but I’m struggling here and having an issue filling the car up with gas. I was attempting to fill it up today at Costco after setting the latch on the nozzle so it’ll fill up and stop when it gets full, it started to fill up then about 1.5 gallons in, it stopped. I latched it, and few seconds again same issue, continued about 6 times then after about 8 gallons I drove off. I’ve had the issue previously at the same station and a few others, but its only here and there.

What am I doing wrong, or does anyone else have the same issue? This is my first Ford so I’m new to this capless easy fill system. I’m hoping its something I’m doing wrong and not wrong with the car but at this point I’m not sure. I really didn’t want to ask for help filling up my car, but with this happening now several times I’m not sure what is going on. I have a 2018 Mustang GT PP1.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
invert the nozzle and pump away.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Your using Costco...

I havnt had any real issues filling up..

Stop using Costco gas...leading tuners agreee

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Your using Costco...

Uh, no? Costco is not bad gas, at all.

Sponsored

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have the same issue now and then and i noticed it happens when the gas pump doesn't full seal on the gas tank opening as its being pumped it then stop. What i do if this happens is press the handle so it starts filling and put up the tab so it pumps automatically then i just put pressure against the gas tank opening so it stays sealed. hopefully this makes sense.

sometimes its annoying i stop going to that gas station and find another.

Jaybob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium performance package

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Your using Costco...

Costco gas exceeds top tier standards. Not sure where your getting that it's no good.

Probably just another incorrect fact pulled out of ones ass.

OP: The nozzle is possibly filling the tank too quickly and this is causing the shut off. Try another gas station or throttle the gas pump lever to 3/4 flow and see if that fixes it.

I've had this happen at different gas stations on different vehicles and throttling the pump corrects it.

I like wildhorses idea though. Give that a try.

Driversedge18

SPIRIT OF AMERICA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
Vehicle Showcase
Had this issue on & off . Inverting the the the filler handle seems to do the trick. As was already suggested.:cheers:

OP
OP
chunter415

chunter415

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2019 F150
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I’ll give these a try and see what works. It’s defiantly not something I even thought would happen and kind of annoying but I’d rather this problem than something else.

On the subject of Costco gas, I’ve also had good luck with it and haven’t had any issues, though if someone else has some better suggestion or research on gas stations I’m all for switching. It’s close and convent for me and the price is good.

Sponsored

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
...The nozzle is possibly filling the tank too quickly and this is causing the shut off. Try another gas station...
Correct. "Spit-back" characteristics where based on standardized delivery rate at the dispensing pump. I worked in this field many decades ago but I seem to remember 10gpm flow rate was the target.

Costco may boost this rate to get higher throughput through the refueling lanes.

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Correct. "Spit-back" characteristics where based on standardized delivery rate at the dispensing pump. I worked in this field many decades ago but I seem to remember 10gpm flow rate was the target.

Costco may boost this rate to get higher throughput through the refueling lanes.
What he said. It happens on almost every car I've driven since the early 2000s. Tilting the nozzle while you're filling the car allows air to escape while pumping and limit the splash back that will cut off the flow. I do this by habit now on every car I drive and when topping off.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I found that on average you can't get away with the lazy method by putting the nozzle in there, and lock the handle. I have to lift the nozzle upwards so the end of the nozzle points downwards. Otherwise it trips the auto-shutoff in the nozzle itself.

I stand there holding it up and give everyone mean looks. Works great. Especially on the hybrid snobs.

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Costco is top tier gas but that’s just for cleaning. Its 93 gas in Michigan is trash. I can put 93 costco in my car and get 2-4 positive knock in all situations. I go fill with shell or Bp I get -3 to -5 knock. Have fun with Costco shit gas *♂