Sponsored

To all the E85 users out there,...(check this out)

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Well, in the last 7 years I have been very good about cleaning out my filters about once a month or so just as caution. As well as having the injectors cleaned at least once a year. Always warning people to keep an eye on fuel pressure, and air fuel ratio once they swap to E85.

My car has been flawless as usual, same plugs, no tune changes.
Then I got gas a week ago, and 1 day later got the fuel pressure warning.....

Here is what I found today when I pulled the filter.
The dreaded "E85 mystery goo balls"

Now I know there are allllllll sorts of theories on internal vs. external pumps, and heat in fuel vs running coolers, and additives etc. However I can run months without an issue what so ever, then magically after one fill up get this. (without any change to my set up) So, who knows what really causes it...all I know is that if you run E85, make sure to keep your eye on that AFR, and FUEL pressure. :)

PS: So I run a $4000 ecu on my car, that I have programed in many safety functions, to shut down the car if issues arise that could hurt the motor. (Such as AFR ratio per psi, fuel pressure monitor, etc) All of these functions can set codes, flash a light, or shut the motor down if something is bad enough.... (aka, fuel pressure dropping) So no motor damage happened, just a warning, and some down time to clean everything.
Sponsored

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Wonder what the cylinder heads look like around the intake/exhaust valves. Wonder if they are all gummed up.

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Wonder what the cylinder heads look like around the intake/exhaust valves. Wonder if they are all gummed up.
The few times (3) that I have had this happen, its pretty much stopped at the filters, then a little on the injectors. The screens are so fine on the injectors, not much gets past them.

However if you run E85 long enough, the injector tip will get some weird "goo" built up on it, and your spray pattern will go all to heck. The injector will still flow a large amount, but it might be spraying it at the cly head wall. (think of putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose)

Sponsored

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
The dreaded "E85 mystery goo balls"
That's corn jello. Scrape it off, put it in a bowl, and serve it up.

For real, though, nice catch. Ran E85 in my last car and didn't even know this was a possibility.

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
That's corn jello. Scrape it off, put it in a bowl, and serve it up.

For real, though, nice catch. Ran E85 in my last car and didn't even know this was a possibility.
Google "What causes E85 goo" LOL.

But like I said, I haven't found one solid reason for it.
Or for why it won't happen for a long long while, then all the sudden.

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
My first guess would be you filling up when the gas station is almost empty. Thinking maybe the goo balls are at the bottom of the tank at the pump.

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
My first guess would be you filling up when the gas station is almost empty. Thinking maybe the goo balls are at the bottom of the tank at the pump.
Don't have a solid way of proving that.
But it does happen at different stations.

I'm no "e85" scientist, but everyone I know has this issue.
Hence why I stated the only real fix is to watch fuel pressure, and AFR's like a HAWK. :)

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
Found one article after doing some google foo with a gentleman who is running two setups

1 car with an internal fuel pump, E85
1 car with an external fuel pump, E85..

Says internal pump is the only car that this happens to, Says it's a heat issue and Lucas e85 safeguard helped..

Huh, Interesting...

Sponsored

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I have tuned a few bikes for E85 .. All have come back with stopped up filters.. Not only goop but also what looks like sandy brown mud .. I stopped tuning bikes that want to use E85 for that reason .. Also you really need to check the E85 to make sure it's really E85 .. I have seen some E85 that test E70 , this can really mess up your tune .. To me it's not worth the small bump in the mid range power and the 2 or 3 HP gain on top on 200 HP bikes ..

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Found one article after doing some google foo with a gentleman who is running two setups

1 car with an internal fuel pump, E85
1 car with an external fuel pump, E85..

Says internal pump is the only car that this happens to, Says it's a heat issue and Lucas e85 safeguard helped..

Huh, Interesting...
I can prove that false...

I run an internal pump,
My co-worker runs and external pump,

His actually clogs WAY more frequent then mine.

jrfn82003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
working
So wait.. ProCharger you run a $4000 ecu in your car to keep it safe? Doesn't seem to safe to me. Why not take that $4000 and put some forged slugs in the engine and make 1k at the wheels? Seems like a lot of extra worry for even an extra 50-100 hp

Just sayin

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
So wait.. ProCharger you run a $4000 ecu in your car to keep it safe? Doesn't seem to safe to me. Why not take that $4000 and put some forged slugs in the engine and make 1k at the wheels? Seems like a lot of extra worry for even an extra 50-100 hp

Just sayin
I am not running a coyote, I was talking about E85 users in general.

I run 28psi of boost on my "street" tune, and haven't hurt a motor yet.
Its forged, it does just fine.

I have run every ECU under the sun,
(FAST, BS3, MoTec, FuelTech, ProEFI, MegaSquirt, Halltech, Accel, DFI, plus have used factory ECU's since the EECIV in the 90's)

I run this ECU because its am OEM level Motorola box, that I can program just like a factory ECU. From full fuel/spark control, boost control, traction control, down to check engine light fault control... plus I can build in safety things that other ECU's can't, that help shut down the motor and save it in case of a problem.

Means I can keep my eyes on the road/track, and not worry about looking at gauges. ;)

Would you rather race fast car staring at a wideband gauge...

Or

Have faith that your computer knows if your at WOT, and that the car needs to be maintaing a lambda of .80 or better while in boost, before either dumping boost, or shutting down the motor if even dumping boost can't recover. ;)...or it can just flash a light if thats your kinda thing. (I would rather abort a run, and clean a filter, then wait for a light to flash.)

Coyote guys have some great aftermarket ECU options out there.
Halltech and AEM have really stepped up their games these days.
The box I run, could be used on a Coyote, and even run the dash board.
BUT.... it would take a LOT of programing, and doubt anyone wants to take that kinda time.

jrfn82003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
working
Makes sense, I just thought posting on the mustang forum it was a coyote. Yeah ecus have come a long way from the hondata i was playing with in the 90's. I wish i had the programing skills that some of you guys have thats where all the real horsepower is these days.
Sponsored