Shelby top two slots in qualifying @ Motorsport park

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
You be the judge:
[ame]

To me, it looks like Maxwell wasn't able to make the pass on Vance before the left hander. Maybe he thought Vance would ease-up and let him in front coming into the turn, but Maxwell drove right into Vance's line...
Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Definitely looks like Maxwell was overly ambitious. He knew the car was good for it, so I don't understand why he took such a risk. Patience.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
You be the judge:

To me, it looks like Maxwell wasn't able to make the pass on Vance before the left hander. Maybe he thought Vance would ease-up and let him in front coming into the turn, but Maxwell drove right into Vance's line...
Vance was maintaining his line and racing for position. Plus, outside, downhill (and probably off-camber) at the limits of adhesion is not the best place to pass. I don't think Maxwell had the line and should have waited until he had a better, inside shot, perhaps outbraking Vance into the next turn at the bottom of the hill. At those speeds, there's no way the #78 could have turned left to avoid Maxwell without crashing himself out - and he might have collected Maxwell and a couple of other cars even if by some miracle he could have made that move. The worst thing is that there was a lot of racing and a lot of missed opportunities left for Maxwell to move through the field. This time, the Red Mist got him.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found Maxwell's POV:
[ame]

Due to where the camera is mounted in Vance's car, it doesn't really show how close he is to the inside of the turn. This footage shows his car more-so in the middle. From that footage, you can see one of the Aschenbach's Camaro just on the inside of Vance's 302R... I wonder if Vance simple COULDN'T give Maxwell room because the Camaro was in the way...

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Looks to me like Vance missed the Apex and was wider than Maxwell expected. Amazing how there are so many cameras, yet none that tell the full story. Really would like to see the action from the Camaro's POV.

-T

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That's exactly how I saw it.

It is Maxwell's responsibility as the overtaking car to complete the pass successfully. He turned into Vance's line.

Just a racing incident. It happens from time-to-time. I feel bad for the both of them.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Agreed^^

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
From my point of view, it appears that Maxwell has earned the right to be there because his car is already leading the other car before the contact. In NASA rules (where I race) once the overtaking car's front tire is next to the driver the overtaking car has the right to be there even if you do not complete the pass. Maxwell is clearly beyond that.

Maxwell has not completed the pass but he leaves the other car enough room to stay on track. It looks like a punt to me. It looks like Vince missed the apex.

Anyone else see it my way?

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From my point of view, it appears that Maxwell has earned the right to be there because his car is already leading the other car before the contact. In NASA rules (where I race) once the overtaking car's front tire is next to the driver the overtaking car has the right to be there even if you do not complete the pass. Maxwell is clearly beyond that.

Maxwell has not completed the pass but he leaves the other car enough room to stay on track. It looks like a punt to me. It looks like Vince missed the apex.

Anyone else see it my way?
I can understand that. Just blows my mind why Vance would want to throw the Multimatic car off the track. With that in mind, I question whether Vance found himself in a sticky, split-second-decision-needing situation with the Camaro starting on his inside... everything happening so fast... what do you do? Hit the brakes to slow down some? Could Aschenbach make it through the turn if he slowed down (thinking of a more side-by-side position)? Try to maintain 3 into the turn? Push to the inside and risk hitting the Camaro? IDK. I'd LOVE to see Aschenbach's Camaro in-car.

Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
it appears that Maxwell has earned the right to be there because his car is already leading the other car before the contact.
How can he earn the right to be in a location where another car is already located?

I've raced SCCA and NASA too. In order for Vance to be in the wrong here you would have to have video footage of him moving to the right rather abruptly to hit Maxwell.

I haven't seen that footage and from everything that has been posted and aired on TV you clearly see Maxwell turning in. It's just that there was another car already in the location that Maxwell turned into.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How can he earn the right to be in a location where another car is already located?

I've raced SCCA and NASA too. In order for Vance to be in the wrong here you would have to have video footage of him moving to the right rather abruptly to hit Maxwell.

I haven't seen that footage and from everything that has been posted and aired on TV you clearly see Maxwell turning in. It's just that there was another car already in the location that Maxwell turned into.
Were you able to watch the race broad cast? I haven't seen it yet. Still waiting for it to go online.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Were you able to watch the race broad cast? I haven't seen it yet. Still waiting for it to go online.
I watched the broadcast that was on Fox Sports yesterday. It was a great race to watch.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
that was the re broadcast of the show? or is on the video..I know the race in the rain is on video...