Sponsored

Shelby top two slots in qualifying @ Motorsport park

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
What you want to see in this edited version is at 45:25 video time. I still believe it was a racing incident and that Maxwell should not have tried that outside pass.
Sponsored

SLDWYS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Taco
Haha, Larry Holt was none too pleased with that display.

Derk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
Still couldn't tell much from what I watched. So, I guess this means we're down to one GT350 this season...sad panfa.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Still couldn't tell much from what I watched. So, I guess this means we're down to one GT350 this season...sad panfa.

Nope. They're finishing up building a new #15 right now. Check out their Twitter feed to see. :)

Sponsored

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
How can he earn the right to be in a location where another car is already located?

I've raced SCCA and NASA too. In order for Vance to be in the wrong here you would have to have video footage of him moving to the right rather abruptly to hit Maxwell.

I haven't seen that footage and from everything that has been posted and aired on TV you clearly see Maxwell turning in. It's just that there was another car already in the location that Maxwell turned into.
You "earn the right to be there" when your front tire is even with the driver of the other car. That clearly happens as 90% of Maxwell's car has passed Vance. Yes, he never completes the pass. They make contact while all 8 tires on still on pavement.

Since Maxwell has the advantage and doesn't push Vance off track he cannot be at fault. You might be able to find fault with Vance but this is where it gets tough. From Maxwell's POV, he got punted in the left rear corner. From Vance's POV, Maxwell came over into his line and took himself out.

Since both cars are still side by side and Maxwell hasn't completed the pass, I think it gets chalked up as a racing incident. Both drivers clearly were aware of the other. Maxwell has to assume that Vance is still there until he sees the other car in his rear view mirror. Both drivers could have given more room to the other and prevented the contact. Both drivers SHOULD have given more room. If either had, the incident would have been prevented.

I'm not saying I'm right, but that's what I saw.

Just blows my mind why Vance would want to throw the Multimatic car off the track. [\quote]
No one wants to make contact or take anyone out. Unless he's pissed and it's payback for a prior incident. The risk of wrecking yourself is way too high.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
You "earn the right to be there" when your front tire is even with the driver of the other car. That clearly happens as 90% of Maxwell's car has passed Vance. Yes, he never completes the pass. They make contact while all 8 tires on still on pavement.

Since Maxwell has the advantage and doesn't push Vance off track he cannot be at fault. You might be able to find fault with Vance but this is where it gets tough. From Maxwell's POV, he got punted in the left rear corner. From Vance's POV, Maxwell came over into his line and took himself out.

Since both cars are still side by side and Maxwell hasn't completed the pass, I think it gets chalked up as a racing incident. Both drivers clearly were aware of the other. Maxwell has to assume that Vance is still there until he sees the other car in his rear view mirror. Both drivers could have given more room to the other and prevented the contact. Both drivers SHOULD have given more room. If either had, the incident would have been prevented.

I'm not saying I'm right, but that's what I saw.

Just blows my mind why Vance would want to throw the Multimatic car off the track.
No one wants to make contact or take anyone out. Unless he's pissed and it's payback for a prior incident. The risk of wrecking yourself is way too high.
After seeing the race (thanks for posting the stream), I agree with what you're saying. There was some additional footage shown in the race stream that showed Maxwell, Vance and Aschenbach going into the apex of that turn: Aschenbach is fine. Vance does look to be missing the apex and running wide. Maxwell turns in a tad early for the scenario, but is going about the line correctly. It seems Vance just ran wider than Maxwell was expecting and Maxwell wasn't watching him in his mirrors as closely as he probably should've been. Also, Vance is said to be a newer driver and, if you watch him before the accident, he does take a lot of the corners wider and different than others. It's both their faults in my eyes.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Nooooooooooooo

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
that will buff right out

Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Almost makes you wonder if having the Camaro behind Vance took some air off his tail making him light going into the lefthander. That might help drive him wider into the turn. Not intentionally of course. Just a matter of airflow in traffic. Had the car not been there and he was able to hold his line Maxwell passes him cleanly and we're not having this conversation.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Had the car not been there and he was able to hold his line Maxwell passes him cleanly and we're not having this conversation.
I doubt aero would be much of a factor at those speeds, but I guess it's possible. However, I still haven't seen any evidence that Vance went off the natural line - Maxwell just tried to pass where he shouldn't have. :shrug:

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I agree. It just seemed when you watch the POV from Maxwell's car when he is 180 Vance does seem quite wide. My hypothesis was maybe the Camaro following Vance sucked a little air off his spoiler causing his backend to walk wide and maybe he follows it to correct it. This puts him wider than Maxwell expects him to be and they make contact as Maxwell turns into the turn. Would be nice to see in-car from Vance or behind so we could see his hands working the wheel.
It was only a hypothesis...

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Yeah, it's definitely one of those "we'll never know for sure" moments. The fact that IMSA didn't issue any penalties means it's officially just a "racing incident."

Lagometer

Noob Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Prem PP w/50 AP.
Driver (Maxwell) Error. Might have been measuring dicks, he can do better than that.
Sponsored