Finally, a Car and Driver review of V6

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
? You know better than this. I'm not trying to start an argument but the V6 is not as fast even in stock form. Car and Driver even ran 5.2 0-60 and 13.9 1/4 with the EB which is the norm for ppl on the forum whereas we have yet to see a V6 in the 13s. The EB has more HP and TQ on premium
That's because no one has tried to do it and there have been people on this forum to get into the 13's stock. It is as fast in stock form actually american muscle raced the two stock and the v6 won. I'm not saying the v6 is better I'm saying stock for stock the ecoboost does not perform better in the quarter mile regardless of the extra hp and torque.
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
The V6 has not been performing equally well in the 1/4 mile when both are stock with the exception of that single run that you're referring to where AM took both cars when they were brand new and ran the EB with regular in the tank against the V6. I've been watching closely and haven't seen a single person get in the 13s yet with 2015 V6. I'm not saying the V6 can't or that it doesn't perform well. But why are cars that we all own and have been out for like 8 months being magazine raced? Average times are a more accurate guage and on average I'm not seeing two cars that perform equally at all.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yeah you aren't but I am so we can agree to disagree haha. I test drove both and actually raced an EB once already so that's where my opinion is coming from.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
This seems more like an "automatic vs manual" discussion than "engine stock vs engine stock."

My quick summary of the v6 - amazing car for the price. But if you want a little more - spend a little more.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Those numbers seem about right for 3.15. They'd be a bit lower with the 3.55. If drag times are a priority than V6 probably isn't the right car for you to begin with, though. Just a great value for the price for a street car, imo.

Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Well car and driver did do the EB auto and manual but only the auto for the V6.

I've said before that the two cars are close enough that it will be a driver's race. But they dont perform the same. There are a ton of factors that could sway a street race when it comes to any two cars that are close in performance (driver, weight, fuel used, trans, temps). So saying oh I raced one with my modified V6 still isn't relative to them being the same performancewise when stock. Have a video?

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
You are right it would be a drivers race when both are stock and you are right it was not a fair race because I had a few mods at that time and all that person had was an exhaust but like I said I test drove both in stock form so I still hold true to my opinion how they both perform the same in track times when in STOCK form.

OP
OP

Davisflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW
I didn't really post this for a V6 vs EB discussion. But having said that, I'm sure if they had tested the manual with a 3.55 rear they could have knocked 2 or 3 tenths off of their acceleration numbers, which would have put it right there with the EB in the real world. I've driven them both, and will admit that the EB has great low and mid range power, but a bit flat above 5k rpms, whereas the V6 delvers much more linear power. It comes down to personal taste. I prefer the linear power and sound of the V6 over the EB. It's sad that Ford won't even let one option a V6 a bit more. The V6 is proven and bullet proof and gets reasonable MPG. While it's obvious that the EB is more receptive to tuning, let's face it, the VAST majority of people will leave their cars stock, at least while under warranty.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I think we can all agree the stock GT is faster than a stock eco. Sounds like ppl were annoyed that u were pointing out the obvious
Actually no. There is a whole section of guys that think a lightly modded EB is running the GT. All you have to do is look at this threads comments.:D

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Those numbers seem about right for 3.15. They'd be a bit lower with the 3.55. If drag times are a priority than V6 probably isn't the right car for you to begin with, though. Just a great value for the price for a street car, imo.
Those times suck for a 3.55 Car. My S197 has the 2.73s and it'll still cut 2.1 Sixtys. I would think the 3.55 would get off the line a 10 or better.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Actually no. There is a whole section of guys that think a lightly modded EB is running the GT. All you have to do is look at this threads comments.:D
Lightly modded EBs are running GT times and can beat a stock GT in case you aren't aware. There is no thread where ppl are saying lightly modded EBs are GT killers or better than the GT for drag racing

OP
OP

Davisflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW
I find that funny considering the wording of your original post
Umm, not really. Maybe you need to re-read it. What I said was purely factual from a data point. Maybe you were reading too much into it....

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Lightly modded EBs are running GT times and can beat a stock GT in case you aren't aware. There is no thread where ppl are saying lightly modded EBs are GT killers or better than the GT for drag racing
There was one this week.....it got locked and deleted. I see your in wilmington. I'll give you the opportunity to prove that statement above if you like. I work at the refinery so it wouldn't be an issue to meet at Cecil. I live about a half hour from Atco if you prefer a nicer track and we can test your theory of tuned EBs beating GTs. My car is bone stock for another week or two. Automatic 3.55 gear car. To heck with bench racing, let's do some real racing! Now as far as this thread is concerned however. I believe,totally stock. The v6 vs. the 4 banger is a drivers race. Modded S197 v6s have done very well at the drag strip. The 4 banger has more potential unless someone is willing to spend an ungodly amount of money on their v6.

Last edited:

Rwillis92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6 Red
Personally the Eco and the 6 are a preference either way you go you'll be happy. Ford is pushing the six to replace the gt's for a twin turbo 6 in the future it makes sense. Granted the 6 is what all of us love on this page. But the Eco any form is the future regardless of engine size... So I say drop the hate from each other because the Eco can be a stock gt power but it caps a lot sooner before bottom end needs an upgrade. As to the six these little guys with 10k or less will be in stock gtr territory. So again, to each their own.
Sponsored