Sponsored

ViKing produces a "Shock"ing experience - Installing Shocks on the 2015 Mustang

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
These double adjustable will out due any other shock on the market. These will completely change the ride quality on a stock or lowering spring. It's all in how you set the Compression and Rebound.
But what about the front end...? :(
Sponsored

OP
OP
UPRSteve

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
But what about the front end...? :(

The front end uses struts and Viking has not released them yet. But even with just the rears, it will change the feel. I have been driving mine more lately because of this. LOL

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
The front end uses struts and Viking has not released them yet. But even with just the rears, it will change the feel. I have been driving mine more lately because of this. LOL
Any time frame for the struts? They don't sell them for any car yet do they?

OP
OP
UPRSteve

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Any time frame for the struts? They don't sell them for any car yet do they?
Nope. We are waiting on the older years as well. No ETA.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
If you want to this installation properly (as per Ford strong recommendation) you will need to discard the old lower and upper bolts and use new ones.

Upper bolts, part# W718383S439 (set of 4), torque: 66 lb.ft
Lower bolts, part# W716286S439 (set of 4), torque: 35 lb.ft

(see attachment for details)

My local dealer (http://www.fordparts.com/bowenscarff) has all 8 bolts for less than $10. I think it's a worthy investment for your peace of mind. :)

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
UPRSteve

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
If you want to this installation properly (as per Ford strong recommendation) you will need to discard the old lower and upper bolts and use new ones.

Upper bolts, part# W718383S439 (set of 4), torque: 66 lb.ft
Lower bolts, part# W716286S439 (set of 4), torque: 35 lb.ft

(see attachment for details)

My local dealer (http://www.fordparts.com/bowenscarff) has all 8 bolts for less than $10. I think it's a worthy investment for your peace of mind. :)

The shocks come with new mounting bolts for the bottom spindle and you re-use the 2 bolts for the upper part to the frame. Their is NO need to replace them. Their is only 5 bolts total for the shocks too. Not 8. The one on the top of the shock is provided with the shocks.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
Their is only 5 bolts total for the shocks too. Not 8. The one on the top of the shock is provided with the shocks.
8 for both sides. (4 per side). As far as I know there are only 4 bolts no?

OP
OP
UPRSteve

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
8 for both sides. (4 per side). As far as I know there are only 4 bolts no?

5 if you include the one on top of the Viking Shock. Shows in the picture. But you dno't need to replace them. The factory ones are fine. Esp being brand new cars

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
The OEM shock has a nut on top. I didn't realize that the Viking shock had a bolt there instead.

OP
OP
UPRSteve

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Yes, it is a nut on the top of the vikings too. I was saying in general with the hardware and stated it as a bolt.

Again though, you don't need to buy anything from Ford. The Vikings provide all the hardware and you reuse the top 2 bolts.

Sponsored

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
Yes, it is a nut on the top of the vikings too. I was saying in general with the hardware and stated it as a bolt.

Again though, you don't need to buy anything from Ford. The Vikings provide all the hardware and you reuse the top 2 bolts.
No worries, I still prefer to follow the guidelines, especially since it's so cheap - a pack of 4 top bolts (covers both sides) is only $6 from my dealer. I will be ordering those shocks and the catch can from you sometime in September/October once my PP GT vert arrives.:cheers:

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I wonder if I would notice the difference with the crusader, or if the regular version would suit me just fine

Triple Wile E

Paxton'd Wile E
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 TYPP Mustang GT
I wonder if I would notice the difference with the crusader, or if the regular version would suit me just fine

At your power level Id suggest the crusaders but that's me. I'm shooting for 700 myself after I get all my suspension done.

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Installed the Vikings today with the help of this article, thanks Steve; the stock nut on top of the shock is 15mm as are the bolts on the underneath of the shock "cradle"; the 2 large bolts that hold the top shock brace on are 18mm.

There are no directions-arguably not needed-but every other shock I have ever installed either had a wrap around the shaft to hold it down and you snipped the wrap when installing which allowed the shaft to expand or you pushed down and twisted on the shaft to get it to expand...well, with the Viking neither applies, you have to muscle the shaft out of the body and set it to the stock shock length before installing it onto the car. I guess it did not matter which what the supplied nuts/bolts oriented when installing them, I put the head of the bolt in from the top.

For the supplied nuts/bolts they are 9/16 and there were 2 nuts for the top of the shock, I used the thicker of the two, I saw no reason to double nut the top.....

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've got some questions about these shocks in an autocross application. The car would be used in SCCA F Street class and two rules could trip up the use of these depending on their dimensions. Any chance someone has the answer to these questions:

1. Is the extended length of the shock +/-1" of the OEM shock?

2. I saw a comment that these shocks don't require a bumpstop but Street category rules require one if the car came with one. Is the bumpstop built into the shock? Could one be installed on the shaft and have the same, or slightly less, travel as the OEM setup?

Thanks!
Sponsored