Mt82 to 10r80 swap

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I take it you haven’t had a mt82 car they’re dog shit cold warm hot doesn’t matter clunky as hell and hit or miss when trying to get a built one
Hmmm, no I haven't owned one but I driven more than a few. Never came close to as jerky as the 10r80 when cold. Granted these had the short shifter trans mount, but still you'd be coming out of the fryer and into the fire for cold clunkiness
Sponsored

Bob Lob Law

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium
You say that they are less desirable, yet, Ford charges more for the auto and sell the crap out of them. I personally love manuals, but, was not about to buy an MT82.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Granted these had the short shifter trans mount,
Yeah that makes a big difference, I assume the owners made other modifications besides that.

You're comparing how a modified MT82 behaves vs. a stock 10R80. There's several things owners can do to smooth out autos also, so you should either compare stock for stock, or modded for modded. In either case, both can be bad and both can be good depending on what was done to them.

OP
OP

Joshua1130

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt, 2009 Silverado
Was wondering if anyone has done a manual to 10 speed swap and if so what’s all needed to be done car is a 2019
Someone send me a parts list for a T56 swap y’all convinced me to keep the manual just tired of mt82 shenanigans

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Someone send me a parts list for a T56 swap y’all convinced me to keep the manual just tired of mt82 shenanigans
Just install a trans mounted short throw shifter, would fix most of your issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Joshua1130

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt, 2009 Silverado
Just install a trans mounted short throw shifter, would fix most of your issues.
Mgw race spec? Was always thinking if it’s worth it I’ll give it a shot tired of getting locked out of 3rd

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that makes a big difference, I assume the owners made other modifications besides that.

You're comparing how a modified MT82 behaves vs. a stock 10R80. There's several things owners can do to smooth out autos also, so you should either compare stock for stock, or modded for modded. In either case, both can be bad and both can be good depending on what was done to them.
True! I only have issues with my 10r80 when its cold, once its warm its pretty good, and unbeatable in a straight line. Seems like that trans mounted short throw fixes a lot of the MT82s problems.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
True! I only have issues with my 10r80 when its cold, once its warm its pretty good, and unbeatable in a straight line.
Look into a tune, or the disabling of the learning parameters if you're worried about your warranty. The later really helps with overall smoothness and doesn't have any other impact on driveability.

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I live in florida so it doesnt really get "cold" here but I have both transmissions... MT in the mustang and the 10r80 in my f150. The automatic is by far more clunky and rough compared to the manual. For an automatic transmission. It is the opposite of smooth. I can see it being better tuned or if it was used for just going vroom vroom, but driving around town, the thing has me jerking my head and hitting the brakes harder randomly downshifting like a turd. Once its fully warm and 5 miles down the road its decent though, usually.
OP why don't you just ditch the MT if you hate it that much and buy a tremec. Not sure what's involved with that installation but probably easier than going to an auto.

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I had an MGW shifter in my 2014 car.........a real pain to install but really was nice and positive!!
Fast forward to my 2022 Convertible......the OEM shifter actually feels pretty good but the foam bushing it sits in seems to be the culprit so I just installed a Polyurethane bushing and it really firmed it up!! 3rd gear is much more positive and I have done several runs from 2nd to 3rd at 7K+ with zero problems!!
American Muscle has the Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing for less than $25.00.......give it a shot and you may just be surprised with an inexpensive fix??
Good Luck with whatever you do!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Because MT82s aren't fussy when they're cold right? They are smooth as butter all the time with no clunking, grinding etc.?
My mt82 first gear can be a little balky at freezing but that's it. The tremec in my new Mach1 is way more temperamental first thing.

If you do the Steeda bracket to the mt82 problems are history.

It hasn't been done because nobody is dumb enough to do it.

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I had an MGW shifter in my 2014 car.........a real pain to install but really was nice and positive!!
Fast forward to my 2022 Convertible......the OEM shifter actually feels pretty good but the foam bushing it sits in seems to be the culprit so I just installed a Polyurethane bushing and it really firmed it up!! 3rd gear is much more positive and I have done several runs from 2nd to 3rd at 7K+ with zero problems!!
American Muscle has the Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing for less than $25.00.......give it a shot and you may just be surprised with an inexpensive fix??
Good Luck with whatever you do!!
Is this what youre referring to? How hard was the installation?
Mustang Manual Transmission Shifter Bushing; Black (15-24 Mustang, Excluding GT350 & GT500) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And you clearly didn't read the long threads on the previous attempts at that.

T56 only works on 17 and before. 18+ is not trivial. If you want a tremec, then you want a M1 tremec. And no, a gt350 tremec is also not advised.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase