Where the Canadians at eh?

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I heard BC has Shell 93 Octane V-Power Nitro available. I've generally used Petro 94 on my tuned cars but NA I only use Shell 91, hopefully we get Shell 93 here in Ontario, not a huge fan of the 10% ethanol running in the Petro 94. From what I understand most tuners will tune for 93 to be safe as well as compensate for crappy 94.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Reaper5.0

Reaper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP
I've always used Shell 91 if it's available. Petro 94 if not.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I heard BC has Shell 93 Octane V-Power Nitro available. I've generally used Petro 94 on my tuned cars but NA I only use Shell 91, hopefully we get Shell 93 here in Ontario, not a huge fan of the 10% ethanol running in the Petro 94. From what I understand most tuners will tune for 93 to be safe as well as compensate for crappy 94.
That's interesting. When I run the Mobil or Esso 93 - 0 E, I will get a little knock retard. When I run the Petro 94, no knock at all and the car seems to run smoother. Haven't tried straight 91. If i'm caught somewhere where there's no higher octane except 91, i'll use that and add VP octane booster.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
That's interesting. When I run the Mobil or Esso 93 - 0 E, I will get a little knock retard. When I run the Petro 94, no knock at all and the car seems to run smoother. Haven't tried straight 91. If i'm caught somewhere where there's no higher octane except 91, i'll use that and add VP octane booster.
so knock retard sensor values can be positive or negative, which one are you getting on Esso gas?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
so knock retard sensor values can be positive or negative, which one are you getting on Esso gas?
Lol.

It's pulling timing on the straight 93. Positive numbers or lower negative numbers. With the 94, I will typically see -7 under wot and Esso / Mobil will see typically -2 to -3. So I see another 4 to 5 degrees timing on the Petro 94 under wot.

Although this last year I didn't even get to the track as i'm trying to track down an off idle hesitation and idle misfire issues. Any ideas on that? I've got another myriad of solutions to try this spring but always searching something i've missed.

Where in Canada are you?

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Lol.

It's pulling timing on the straight 93. Positive numbers or lower negative numbers. With the 94, I will typically see -7 under wot and Esso / Mobil will see typically -2 to -3. So I see another 4 to 5 degrees timing on the Petro 94 under wot.
thanks, that's what I wanted to confirm. I've been doing some logging and been monitoring knock retard as well, but never thought of comparing these 2 gas options from knock retard perspective. that's quite interesting, I always assumed that esso would be slightly better quality..

Although this last year I didn't even get to the track as i'm trying to track down an off idle hesitation and idle misfire issues. Any ideas on that? I've got another myriad of solutions to try this spring but always searching something i've missed.
never had this issue, so I won't be of much help unfortunately. as you say, there could be tons of potential reasons.
Where in Canada are you?
I'm in Ontario, roughly GTA area. when you say track, do you mean drag strips or road course?

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I like the feedback, my decision is strictly based on people saying Shell 91 is better then any gas with additives. All my boosted cars ran Petro 94 because they were tuned for 94 and all ran with no issues.. Engine timing is all jibberish to me unfortunately, knowing the Gen 3 Coyote is pretty sensitive to change I should probably educate myself on it before the blower is installed.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I'm "roughly" GTA as well lol. Elora. North of Guelph East of KW. I'm about 50 minutes to Pearson airport.

Drag strip. I'd love to get into some autocrossing this year maybe. The tracks and dragstrips are entirely too hard to get on with a convertible... they all want a cage.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I like the feedback, my decision is strictly based on people saying Shell 91 is better then any gas with additives. All my boosted cars ran Petro 94 because they were tuned for 94 and all ran with no issues.. Engine timing is all jibberish to me unfortunately, knowing the Gen 3 Coyote is pretty sensitive to change I should probably educate myself on it before the blower is installed.
Who is going to tune your car? I wish we still had e85 here... the last station closed up about 8 years ago - between Guelph and Hespeler. They sell something called Extreme 93. No idea if it's any good though... UPI energy is the station...

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Who is going to tune your car? I wish we still had e85 here... the last station closed up about 8 years ago - between Guelph and Hespeler. They sell something called Extreme 93. No idea if it's any good though... UPI energy is the station...
The Edelbrock E-Force comes with a tune from Edelbrock, I know a lot of Whipple guys are sticking to the Whipple tune it comes with as it seems to work the best. If the Edelbrock tune doesn't work out the car will go to Lidio at Alternative Performance in Michigan, he's the only guy I trust to tune my car.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Lidio!! I'm sure I was one of his first customers when he first opened in the tiny shop. Just became a Vortech dealer then. Good ol' fox body days! Good guy. Been doing this a while. Are you close to Sarnia / Windsor?

Yea, I completely by-passed the Edelbrock tune and went straight to Lund. The Edelbrock tune itself is not as refined as the Whipple tune is. YMMV

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I'm "roughly" GTA as well lol. Elora. North of Guelph East of KW. I'm about 50 minutes to Pearson airport.
I'm about the same distance north of Pearson))
Drag strip. I'd love to get into some autocrossing this year maybe. The tracks and dragstrips are entirely too hard to get on with a convertible... they all want a cage.
yeah, there is a good reason for this 😁.
I'm sure you know this already, but as long as you don't need back seats, Watson has a nice roll bar for convertibles. track driving is easily the best automotive experience I had in life so far. nothing else comes close. and it's really amazing what our cars can do with some prep.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
North of Pearson. Nice!

Yea, told my wife I wouldn’t cage this car. Last time I went too far and it really took the fun away from just cruising. So no cage this time. Relegated to drag strip rentals where the tech inspection is “easier”.

Funnest car I’ve ever had was a Miata when I lived in Florida. Had that and a 10.0 fox body and that car saw so much more drive time than the fox. Auto cross every weekend. Man I could bang through 3 gears WOT and barely break the speed limit.

This car is a way better GT cruiser and so much more comfortable. But it’s heavy and corners that way. Mind you, it’s certainly not set up for it. But it might be fun to try an autocross in it. I was going to go out last summer (only require a helmet and no cage) but never solved the off idle hesitation and idle miss so didn’t want to hurt anything.

Do you track yours? TMP has events as well as Mosport. Not sure of rules whether it’s just hot lapping or actual race type events.

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Lidio!! I'm sure I was one of his first customers when he first opened in the tiny shop. Just became a Vortech dealer then. Good ol' fox body days! Good guy. Been doing this a while. Are you close to Sarnia / Windsor?

Yea, I completely by-passed the Edelbrock tune and went straight to Lund. The Edelbrock tune itself is not as refined as the Whipple tune is. YMMV
Yea I thought I'd try it out and see where it lands me, I'm located in the GTA but feel the drive to Michigan is well worth it. Matt at Dasilva tuned my 05 GT with Vortech, I just didn't like how the boost came on I found if I didn't get in to it from a dig it was just sluggish. My 2011 had a Roush 2300, had it tuned locally with Diago at DCT but there were too many issues he couldn't work and he just kept sending tune after tune without asking for the car to come back to put on the dyno again. Anyhow we parted ways and I went to Lidio.... Never looked back the car was tuned once and ran flawless.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I hear you. Another one is Arun Ahuja at CCPerformance. Friend of mine. Has gotten back into fords now (previously Chevy for a while and still). Good guy.
Sponsored