GM is pulling back on EVs

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Exactly what I said re Stellantis - They are not stopping EV production, they are channelling resources INTO EV production

In the US maybe - already working fine in some countries
Hello; First thing is we did not misunderstand. They are taking from ICE production to enhance EV production. Reasons can have interpretations. I get yours and do question them. Currently there is legislation looming stating these companies will not be able to sell product in some places starting between 2030 to 2035. These are not a more reasonable sort of timeline of adjusting production of pure EV's as demand increases. They are the "set in stone" sort of timelines.
Takes years to set up a production line so they have to make some moves years in advance even if the supporting infrastructure is far from being in place. Lack of supporting infrastructure is one of the ignored "elephant" in the mix.
So yes, some companies are channeling production capacity to making pure EV. Volvo has already farmed out it's ICE engine production to an affiliated but separate production company. Not up on the details about how they have restructured but have not read such is because they cannot afford to do both.
Stellantis may be in a money flow situation such that they need to cut expenses to enhance EV production. Regardless lets us not sidetrack the thread into a pointless discussion about that specific issue. I agree they are firing lots of people, shutting down a plant and using the freed-up monies to build EV's.

The leaders of some automobile companies may be full-fledged EV champions, or they may be hedging bets by trying to have product. If the EV push is a premature as I think it will turn out to be some will be left holding a lot of expensive product they cannot sell at a profit. I guess they have to do something due to the "set in stone" timeline.

Even the EV & anti-fossil fuel champions say the electric power grid "must" be rebuilt costing trillions of dollars. These sorts of statements are thrown out in the nature of it is worth all the spending because it will save the planet. Or perhaps we will force the no ICE and all EV legislation on you so there will not be any choice but to build up the power grid.

Reality last hot season was turn off or down the AC and do not charge up the EV's for a while in some places. Such is the ignored gorilla in the mix. A logical approach might be to have a more robust grid up and running before adding crippling demand.

I ask again about those living in apartment budlings or other rental places without the option to have a personal home charger. So far, the EV is suited to the more well to do with a house and limited use demand from an EV. The sort of folks who will have two or more vehicles only one of which will be a virtue signaling EV.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Nope

Nice and warm here as well

There are many fools in the world. There is also a world outside the US with freedom of choice, indeed even more so.
Hello; Interesting. I get you are nice and warm. Is everyone around you so comfortable?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜This truck canā€™t do normal truck thingsā€™: YouTube star says towing with Fordā€™s new electric pickup is a ā€˜total disasterā€™ in viral video ā€” but Wall Street still likes these 3 EV stocks (msn.com)

Hello; There is a line in the above link which made me think of a poster in this thread. After several lines of explanation as to why this electric (EV) pickup cannot do truck things (towing 100 miles) without a series of recharging stops a new paragraph starts.
That paragraph says they are selling like "hotcakes". (hint- irony part here) Guess so but I use a pickup to do pickup things so will not be paying extra one which will not work as a truck. Of course, I am old school and already lament the decline of the regular cab- long bed pickup as a common thing.
Back when the corporate fuel mileage rules started they hit sedans hard but left pickups and later SUV's less affected. Made sense as trucks needed to haul and tow a lot of weight and could not practically meet stiff fuel mileage standards.
People started using trucks like sedans. Trucks became more refined and sedan like. Now the truck bed is often tiny and the cabs large. An irony being the trucks do not approach the decent fuel economy a nice sedan can make. But in the convoluted logic of government agencies and environmental advocates we wind up in this situation.
A medium sized sedan can have decent MPGs, especially compared to a truck-based vehicle, but where are such sedans? People found a workaround to this, and many have full sized pickups which never haul or tow anything much.
A friend i know has a new GMC pickup with a big cab, a short bed and one of those fancy tailgates. I tease him by asking that he come by so we can get a load of manure in his new truck.
I look for a regular cab- 8 foot bed pickup on lots. Often not a single one to be had. When I do find one it is often a 3/4 ton or more rather than a 1/2 ton which is enough for my needs.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
ā€˜This truck canā€™t do normal truck thingsā€™: YouTube star says towing with Fordā€™s new electric pickup is a ā€˜total disasterā€™ in viral video ā€” but Wall Street still likes these 3 EV stocks (msn.com)

Hello; There is a line in the above link which made me think of a poster in this thread. After several lines of explanation as to why this electric (EV) pickup cannot do truck things (towing 100 miles) without a series of recharging stops a new paragraph starts.
That paragraph says they are selling like "hotcakes". (hint- irony part here) Guess so but I use a pickup to do pickup things so will not be paying extra one which will not work as a truck. Of course, I am old school and already lament the decline of the regular cab- long bed pickup as a common thing.
Back when the corporate fuel mileage rules started they hit sedans hard but left pickups and later SUV's less affected. Made sense as trucks needed to haul and tow a lot of weight and could not practically meet stiff fuel mileage standards.
People started using trucks like sedans. Trucks became more refined and sedan like. Now the truck bed is often tiny and the cabs large. An irony being the trucks do not approach the decent fuel economy a nice sedan can make. But in the convoluted logic of government agencies and environmental advocates we wind up in this situation.
A medium sized sedan can have decent MPGs, especially compared to a truck-based vehicle, but where are such sedans? People found a workaround to this, and many have full sized pickups which never haul or tow anything much.
A friend i know has a new GMC pickup with a big cab, a short bed and one of those fancy tailgates. I tease him by asking that he come by so we can get a load of manure in his new truck.
I look for a regular cab- 8 foot bed pickup on lots. Often not a single one to be had. When I do find one it is often a 3/4 ton or more rather than a 1/2 ton which is enough for my needs.
All by design.

You know how to boil frogs? In the beginning they are less active because the water is cold. Then they become more active because the water is warmer, and they are quite pleased. Not knowing that the water will soon boil and there will be no more frogs. Only the fat cook is left.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Hello; Interesting. I get you are nice and warm. Is everyone around you so comfortable?
The smug class always seems to thumb their nose down at the rest of those who donā€™t have. ā€œIā€™m doing well so who cares.ā€ But they virtue signal, to anyone who listens, that they care about humanity.

The full turn over to EV is not going to save the earth but what it will do is disproportionately put a financial burden on the middle and lower class. Especially those who donā€™t own a home and canā€™t install a charging station. They will be beholden to the government and energy companies which at the end of the day governments are by designe self serving.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The smug class always seems to thumb their nose down at the rest of those who donā€™t have. ā€œIā€™m doing well so who cares.ā€ But they virtue signal, to anyone who listens, that they care about humanity.

The full turn over to EV is not going to save the earth but what it will do is disproportionately put a financial burden on the middle and lower class. Especially those who donā€™t own a home and canā€™t install a charging station. They will be beholden to the government and energy companies which at the end of the day governments are by designe self serving.
Funny how Stellantis closing a plant to concentrate resources on EV's has now reverted to 'smug' classes, virtue signalling and government control.

You started a thread about Stellantis cutting production at an ICE SUV plant in order to save money for EV development and somehow that has lead to a political rant against EV's and anybody who dares to buy one. Bit sad really.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Funny how Stellantis closing a plant to concentrate resources on EV's has now reverted to 'smug' classes, virtue signalling and government control.

You started a thread about Stellantis cutting production at an ICE SUV plant in order to save money for EV development and somehow that has lead to a political rant against EV's and anybody who dares to buy one. Bit sad really.
Hello; Smug because it seems as long as you are warm all is fine.

Government control in that these various mandates are indeed a form of control. That one ought to penetrate your shell. If the laws of a place (states in some cases) do not allow a company to sell new ICE powered products after a certain date, what else is it except control?
Not only autos/trucks but also lawn mowers and other small equipment. Not clear to me yet but may include things such a propane/natural gas generators. That would be an outcome in step with the illogic of some anti-ICE/ anti-fossil fuel types. Reduce the electric grid to brown- outs, black-outs and do not charge periods while at the same time restricting homeowners from having their own backup electric generation. I see ads condemning natural gas stoves, heaters and such.

Nice try to label rational comments about the faults in the premature EV movement as political rants. Goal apparently being to get the thread closed as it has content you do not like. Perhaps hopes some individuals will be banned or restricted. Many of us no longer are tricked into incautious comments by your baiting.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium

I would actually look at why I made that comment. It takes a few sec so do that. Misinformed replies tend to fall on deaf ears.
Now you cam buy what ever you want. That doesnā€™t make you a bad guy. What makes you a bad guy is pushing an agenda. If youā€™re going to thumb your nose at those who canā€™t afford one and donā€™t care about the hardships they go through because of said agenda then who are you really helping? When an agenda disenfranchises swaths of humanity then who is that agenda helping?

Are EVs a real need? No they are not

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
So,....I have a question. lol

How can these companies be losing money by making these EV cars, when they just started making them, no?? Seems odd.

Believe me,. I am ALL AGAINST EV vehicles, but just wanted to know what you guys think about the headlines. I did not watch the video or read the article. If these companies are losing monies now,.......what happens when they start making these vehicles full time!??!?!
LMFAO

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium

How can these companies be losing money by making these EV cars, when they just started making them, no?? Seems odd.

Believe me,. I am ALL AGAINST EV vehicles, but just wanted to know what you guys think about the headlines. I did not watch the video or read the article. If these companies are losing monies now,.......what happens when they start making these vehicles full time!??!?!
LMFAO
I would take the time to listen to Ben. He disclosed as to the whys and how comes. The points he makes are an eye opening truth. Itā€™s going to take 10 of millions if not hundreds of millions of dollars to retrofit ICE car manufacturers with the equipment needed to make EV cars. Why GM is pushing back on EVs. Itā€™s going to take money they donā€™t have at the moment. And with car sales in the dumps right now because of interest rates and pricing profits are on their way down.

Now he also made a great point that EV manufacturers are direct to customer sales. No dealerships involved. They started as EV manufacturers so no retrofit. Their mechanics are educated on these vehicles so no need to retrain. The ICE manufactures re not just a step back they are about 5 steps behind with no real clear view of how they are going to catch up.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Growing Popularity of Trucks Dents Fuel-Economy Gains, US Finds (msn.com)

Hello; Interesting how life meshes sometimes.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP

LMFAO

They are making it now. It is called government subsidies. You know, taking money from one group to give it to another group.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
huh?

1670886827834.png

(unless he made another thread I did not see)
Because that title is wrong. They are not pulling back on EV's they are INCREASING investment, making savings elsewhere. They are cutting production of ICE vehicles.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)

LMFAO
Because R&D comes before production. As mentioned Stellantis are diverting resources into EV's as that is where the global market is going. They will be left behind very quickly if they don't.
Sponsored

Last edited: