GM is pulling back on EVs

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Interesting video. Makes sense which may be a limiting factor. While I do not find fault with the logic presented a critical factor is omitted. That being the zeal of the truly committed all electric + anti fossil fuel crowd. A few threads already exist on this forum with many posts pointing out the flaws in the no more ICE by 2030 or 2035 scheme.

I do hope someone in these large car companies can save enough legacy ICE structure so what the video suggests will be possible. That being a sensible transition to whatever turns out to work the best among the possible vehicle bases. Whatever may win in the very long term ought to be allowed to happen in a sensible manner. One of my guesses is a combination of ICE, hybrid and all EV. Each has particular strengths that can make them a fit for some and weaknesses that make them problematic for others.
People who do not own homes for example as mentioned in the video will be hard pressed to afford an EV and then further hard pressed to afford commercial charging. How would that work for an apartment renter. Drive the EV home and cannot charge it there. Have to either get up early to find a public charger or after work find one. Somehow the hype is you can fast charge in 30 to 45 minutes and such is an answer. I do not see it that way. Get it down to 10 minutes and have enough chargers then maybe for those who cannot have home charging.

Then there is the cost of charging at commercial units. Several articles posted on here so far showing that public charging costs more than fueling ICE's on trips.

Will be interesting to see if this video gets any traction on here. There was one EV champion who eventually shows up on most every new thread I post in so he may chime in. I think he claimed he as to put me on ignore a while back so there is that.

Good video. I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I also saw an article in the news feed this am that Stellantis (Dodge, Chrysler, etc.) is laying off several hundred workers at its US EV plants this month because of poor sales. Fancy that!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

RUT-ROH !!!!!!

LMAO hope the EVs bury them.. Did you read Mustang will remain true to its DNA.

Have a clown who drives the EV, badged Mustang. His claim to the name will be denied.
Good EV news just keeps on coming.... :champagne:

EV probably will work for domino's pizza delivery.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
If this is referring to the Belvidere layoffs that is a plant that doesn't make EV's. Stellantis also made it clear they were trying to cut costs to allow investment in EV's. Slightly different to what is being suggested by some above

Stellantis to idle Jeep plant, lay off workers to cut costs for EVs (cnbc.com)

Stellantis BEV sales rise nearly 50% (electrek.co)

Third Quarter 2022 Shipments and Revenues | Stellantis

Stellantis Records 50% H1 Global BEV Sales Increase Over 2021 (insideevs.com)

Stellantis is a global company with huge growth in EV sales globally.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Why running electric cars could soon get a lot more expensive (msn.com)

Hello; Interesting article. Knew one of you would show up.
If this is referring to the Belvidere layoffs that is a plant that doesn't make EV's. Stellantis also made it clear they were trying to cut costs to allow investment in EV's. Slightly different to what is being suggested by some above

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Hello; Looked over the links lightly. The first link appears to contradict the other three to a degree. The bottom three links appear to paint a rosy sort of picture while the first paints the economics in a different light. Perhaps a robbing Peter to pay Paul sort of thing. Could it be the EV side of things is not very profitable so far?

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
IMHO, I think electric cars will only really take off when batteries are lighter a lot cheaper and when we generate electricity more efficiently and abundantly .
The idea is good and all , but we are still like cavemen with certain technologies

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
IMHO, I think electric cars will only really take off when batteries are lighter a lot cheaper and when we generate electricity more efficiently and abundantly .
The idea is good and all , but we are still like cavemen with certain technologies
They have already taken off. Some countries are largely EV only in terms of sales now.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP

Well, look here.

Automaker Stellantis lays off hundreds of American workers, blaming high cost of making electric cars | Fox Business

So this EV thing is going to be good for everyone? Building cars that many won't be able to afford. And a grid that can't sustain them?

We did not go from horses and mules to gas and diesel by legislation nor should we go from gas and diesel to electric that way. I don't doubt that technology can take us there. Just don't believe that some folks who live in gilded castles (read politicians) can get us there..

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just wait until the countries in which everyone is relying on the rare earth minerals needed for EV batteries start to uprise for their slave labor…. It’s going to happen, because there’s going to be realization that they’re not benefitting from many of the profits that Corp XYZ is making off their backs.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Well, look here.

Automaker Stellantis lays off hundreds of American workers, blaming high cost of making electric cars | Fox Business

So this EV thing is going to be good for everyone? Building cars that many won't be able to afford. And a grid that can't sustain them?

We did not go from horses and mules to gas and diesel by legislation nor should we go from gas and diesel to electric that way. I don't doubt that technology can take us there. Just don't believe that some folks who live in gilded castles (read politicians) can get us there..
Exactly what I said re Stellantis - They are not stopping EV production, they are channelling resources INTO EV production

In the US maybe - already working fine in some countries

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Just wait until the countries in which everyone is relying on the rare earth minerals needed for EV batteries start to uprise for their slave labor…. It’s going to happen, because there’s going to be realization that they’re not benefitting from many of the profits that Corp XYZ is making off their backs.
As soon as the words uprising, slave and big corporation start cropping up you just know where the thread is going .....

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
They have already taken off. Some countries are largely EV only in terms of sales now.
Are those the countries that have put sanctions on Russia. Are now going to freeze their balls off in winter and are shutting down nuclear power stations.
And then revert to running coal plants to make electricity.
I suppose there are many tree hugging fools in this world.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Are those the countries that have put sanctions on Russia. Are now going to freeze their balls off in winter and are shutting down nuclear power stations.
And then revert to running coal plants to make electricity.
I suppose there are many tree hugging fools in this world.
Nope

Nice and warm here as well

There are many fools in the world. There is also a world outside the US with freedom of choice, indeed even more so.
Sponsored