Sponsored

Unfortunate Tuesday with my Mach 1 - engine oil mess (not as bad as BP)

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I stand corrected, maybe. It took me 5 tries to get the non emergency number for my local sheriff's dept.

I never would have thought there is a "spill" dept. More gov waste
Firefighters spending 6 hours cleaning up a small oil spill after a guy that can’t drive is less of a waste than funding a specialized hazmat department to free them up for real emergencies? Wow

We need to declare martial law because there are little oil puddles all over parking structures all over the country! lmao god help us.

You’re a grown man and you should probably know when to call for an emergency, but I’ll help you out.

According to the EPA:
“Any release that exceeds 25 gallons must be reported within 24 hours of discovery. A release less than 25 gallons that is not contained and cleaned up within 24 hours must be reported immediately.”
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If I left an oil slick over several floors of a public parking garage... (I'd park and hide :) ).. I'd at least call the owner and ask how to proceed. If the owner number is not available and I have no way to get cat litter I'd call the sheriff's dept. When I think of "spill" response I think of a tanker rolling over on an interstate or a train car derailing. Not 10 qts of oil from one car.

One thing y'all aint considering is the OP is in another Country.

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
If I left an oil slick over several floors of a public parking garage... (I'd park and hide :) ).. I'd at least call the owner and ask how to proceed. If the owner number is not available and I have no way to get cat litter I'd call the sheriff's dept. When I think of "spill" response I think of a tanker rolling over on an interstate or a train car derailing. Not 10 qts of oil from one car.

One thing y'all aint considering is the OP is in another Country.
Exactly! Calling the sheriff is reasonable, but it is not the same as calling 911. You can get a misdemeanor for wrongfully calling 911. It’s not a joke and firefighters are not your maids that would called by the sheriff to clean up after you. You see them at accident sites doing it….because they are there for the accident…not the oil.

If anyone reading this really believed this guy (who I believe lied anyways about not knowing he hit a curb), please do not call 911 in a situation like this. 911 is a lifeline for life threatening situations. Oil is not a Mario kart banana…a car won’t spin out of control and kill someone in a parking lot lmao

C570D2F3-BDD7-44F5-8FC4-ACD170810203.jpeg

E0D872A6-6D67-484F-A896-5567ED03817D.jpeg

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
I'm confused here. $4000, emergency called etc.

All I see is some oil leakage?

Speedy dry and a broom. Done.

Surprised they didn't shut down the country.
LOL was thinking the same thing. The firemen in the pic literally have this "wtf dude don't take my photo" reaction. 🤣

Only thing I am curious about is that oil splatter on the front chin spoiler. 🤔 How the F did that get up there? Nice Mach 1 though.
This. Who called 911 ?

Get some kitty litter in a store next door and clean it up. If I called 911 every time I spilled some oil in my garage, they'd build a station next to my house.
Looks like a major crime scene for a little oil. Too bad. Hope it s at least a simple fix.
In these buildings EVERYTHING is ALWAYS a big deal. Y’all have no idea. :cwl:
On the other hand, the area needed to be secured immediately for liability issues….the hazmat deal beyond cleanup to avoid slip and fall claims might be a bit of over response for a surface that is in fact designed to accept automotive oil.
Different places different regulations.

In Canada you can be fined by the fire department and face serious repercussions. Calling 911 and then fire was a default and the fire dept responded in less than 5 minutes. They were on the scene and blocked the area from further use and removed the first line of hazard as much as possible. This is a requirement.

Second, if something happens even if so someone slipped or a car slipped or any other incident of damage, I would be liable. I don't want that headache.

-x-

I don't know how much the invoice is going to be at the end of the day. Probably around 3K CAD. It hurts but its more important to get things safe and avoid any health issues than worry about 2K for a leak that went over multiple floors.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'll bet 5 people on this site know their local non emergency number. Everyone else knows 911, except for the people who ask, What is the number for 911.

Calling 911 and stating "this is not an emergency" will get you proper help. However it is best to know the non emergency number for areas you normally are in.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Did you hit the curb? This photo shows the oil mark on it...

IMG_2708.jpeg
This is literally what my wife and I thought and wrote it in my opening post but edited out just in case I am wrong here. We have asked for camera evidence to better understand this but this is the likely thing for us.

The worst part is we didn't feel it and there wasn't any music going on to distract us. So we are a bit confused ourselves.

I wonder if it was partially squirting out, look how close this trail is to the wall :

1668614322901.png

It seems unrealistic to think the OP could drive that close without significant bodywork damage if the oil was only coming out from underneath ?

WD :like:
I am unclear about this trail and will get this as evidence. I drove the car in the lot and just stopped there and then backed a bit. The trail of oil is either carried by cars or its just trickling down. I am not sure.

The 911/Hazmat stuff is complete bullshit.
People talking out of their ass without any clue will never get old.

How did you know to stop?
Great question. We didn't really feel the bump specifically the curb that is our suspicion. But when I went down a bit and after the first get turning left towards the second gate, I smelled something weird and felt like there was liquid either coming out of the car or some high water pressure next to it. I came out of the car and saw the horror. Reversed the car and stopped it.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
@dethmaShine Hope all's well in the end. Money can be made back. Sounds you are having quite a few adventures since last year. Tramlining from Iowa and then moving to Canada. If that car can speak...
Hey man yeah, I still have a job even after Meta layoffs last week so I am not stressed about that. Not everything can be equated to money at the end of the day. Safety is more important. I know some folks here would laugh about over-regulation, big government and what not, but thats one of the reasons for a certain level of security we all enjoy. I am an immigrant in Canada just like in the US and will comply with rules as required. In this case 911-fire was required and the fire dept was very quick to respond and block the season. Less so than fire, was more worried about someone driving in the parking lot and sliding.

Thanks for keeping up with me and your wishes! :)

So I just have to ask - from those 2 images above is that to image the "start" of the oil leak? I mean, I have no way of telling, BUT I'm assuming it may be, since that is the largest pooling of oil out of all the pics, after driving down a few floors...

Is that where the car was parked before starting it?

Take no offense - but how is it anyone would not see that much oil on the ground in such a brightly lit building leaving a parking spot , or even as one is driving with a rear view mirror - and does not immediately stop the car instead of continuing to drive?

Am I totally missing or overbooking something? I have seen all images posted - so again; I'm assuming (at this point), the first top image is the start of the leak... ???
Fair question. Please note when you're driving down in the parking lot and waiting for the gate to open and then looking for the next get and pressing the buttons on the fab, rear view mirror is not the first priority. If I did, I would stop right there, as my life would have been better.

To be clear the start of the leak is right around the curb that is shown in the images which is likely to be the suspect of a lower left collision. I am not 100% sure so I am just giving my self some room for error.

For those busting his balls about the clean up - that's not a simple "here's 5 bags of kitty litter, some sawdust and a broom".... That's a massive oil cleanup on different levels of the facility - not just an 10ft patch....That is also a huge liability issue for that parking garage/facility.... All another driver has to do is hit that slick while making the curve and they're going to hit a wall or another vehicle parked... oil on pavement is unforgiving regardless how slow you're going or what tires are on the car.... The OP did the right thing by taking responsibility and trying to get it safely cleaned up.

His Auto Ins. may cover the clean up expenses, he has to call and see... But then again, if filing through Ins., there's the penalty of raised rates too for X-years... Is the cost of Ins. covering the bill less or greater in the long term than just paying it out of pocket - that is what has to be weighed...
We had 3 hazmat folks come in with ofcourse absorbol, degreasers and everything else. Kitty litter may work in a personal garage but this required a lot of work. We have camera footage of about 4.5 hours of work for 3 individuals busting their ass overnight in the cold.

I had the misfortune of having entire oil leak out (same engine, same capacity) - due to UPR oil drain plug. Cleaning it up wasn't too big of deal although it was not in a parking garage - but that's why I asked who called 911. If OP did that, then of course they made him pay. Someone has to.
I see this being asked and I thought I probably answered before - I was recommended to call 911 as the apartment/hotel can't force me. But if I didn't, there would likely be a massive fine for me and probably a couple of jobs on the line. I called 911.

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'll bet 5 people on this site know their local non emergency number. Everyone else knows 911, except for the people who ask, What is the number for 911.

Calling 911 and stating "this is not an emergency" will get you proper help. However it is best to know the non emergency number for areas you normally are in.
And I’d wager that most if not all have a phone capable of looking up a non emergency number. He could ask the staff at where he’s staying at. I can’t believe you’re really trying to defend this but I guess that’s why this post is so important. Under no circumstance do you call 911 for an oil spill. My wife who is an ICU nurse said he should have gotten arrested but my grandfather who has more rational mind would say the $4k price tag was a slap on the wrist.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
I’ll take a stab at it.

Looks like this guy struggles driving a sports car (by his own words) and ran over the curb and busted something loose claims he has no idea, but he knows…”It's very possible but as I think about it, turning the car is one of my fears with this M1.” Yeah, he turned his car into a curb lol.

That’s my take anyway, but I feel I am spot on haha
I mean, I did not need to share any of this to anyone and could just be happy managing this myself. I chose to share because I know folks here who have helped me and sharing this would be helpful but an interesting thread nonetheless.

Looks like this guy struggles driving a sports car (by his own words)
Fear of a low car with very less visibility specifically going downhill is not struggling to drive a sports car.

ran over the curb and busted something loose claims he has no idea, but he knows…”It's very possible but as I think about it, turning the car is one of my fears with this M1.” Yeah, he turned his car into a curb lol.
I have mentioned in multiple posts - I probably did this but looking for evidence as it's unclear and we didn't hear a sound as I probably would have stopped earlier.

But after reading everything and nitpicking stuff, you still chose to be ignorant and condescending. Good job! :)

EDIT:

Lastly, he threw away $3k-$4k because he probably does not handle pressure very well, since he needed to mention his firing from 6 years ago. So he freaks out over oil on the ground and calls 911 (which should only be used for real emergencies - speaking as a healthcare professional) instead of using any and all resources around him in order not to take up precious time from emergency personnel.
Wow just read the rest of your post.

1. I don't know how to drive a car.
2. I don't know how to get it towed.
3. I shouldn't be calling 911 doesn't matter if its the regulation.
4. I didn't need to mention my firing from 6 years ago as I don't handle pressure well cause you know me so well.
5. I didn't need to call hazmat and spent 3-4k because I am a global citizen who doesn't need to follow regulations.

Cool. I'll avoid responding to needless garbage in the future! :)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Sponsored

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Hey man yeah, I still have a job even after Meta layoffs last week so I am not stressed about that. Not everything can be equated to money at the end of the day. Safety is more important. I know some folks here would laugh about over-regulation, big government and what not, but thats one of the reasons for a certain level of security we all enjoy. I am an immigrant in Canada just like in the US and will comply with rules as required. In this case 911-fire was required and the fire dept was very quick to respond and block the season. Less so than fire, was more worried about someone driving in the parking lot and sliding.

Thanks for keeping up with me and your wishes! :)

Fair question. Please note when you're driving down in the parking lot and waiting for the gate to open and then looking for the next get and pressing the buttons on the fab, rear view mirror is not the first priority. If I did, I would stop right there, as my life would have been better.

To be clear the start of the leak is right around the curb that is shown in the images which is likely to be the suspect of a lower left collision. I am not 100% sure so I am just giving my self some room for error.

We had 3 hazmat folks come in with ofcourse absorbol, degreasers and everything else. Kitty litter may work in a personal garage but this required a lot of work. We have camera footage of about 4.5 hours of work for 3 individuals busting their ass overnight in the cold.

I see this being asked and I thought I probably answered before - I was recommended to call 911 as the apartment/hotel can't force me. But if I didn't, there would likely be a massive fine for me and probably a couple of jobs on the line. I called 911.
I would risk losing my own job over calling 911 for that. They lied to you to save themselves a headache. It was their responsibility to clean it up and then bill you for it. I have a family full of first responders and none would agree this is a 911 call in the slightest. But you also didint tell them that you hit the curb and it was your fault, did you?

Hope y’all defending this guy see this. He deleted the part where he “thought” it was his fault.

My question is…why would you post this on here? Lmao This was all your fault and the stress was because of your poor driving and bad decision making.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Apparently people who live in California and work in emergency also know BC regulations. Apparently calling 911 is wrong when it was directly advised by the fire department on the phone as well as on the ground that this is required otherwise the Strata would be getting a fine.

Keeping talking out of your ass. I think I have responded to enough bile from you. :)

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I mean, I did not need to share any of this to anyone and could just be happy managing this myself. I chose to share because I know folks here who have helped me and sharing this would be helpful but an interesting thread nonetheless.

Fear of a low car with very less visibility specifically going downhill is not struggling to drive a sports car.
Believe it or not you are helping!

1-assume accountability when you see oil on a curb when you know you cant drive the car well.

2- tell the truth to the hotel staff

3- face the consequences

4-don’t call 911 unless it is a real emergency. When it doubt, find a non emergency number to call.

Last edited:

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Apparently people who live in California and work in emergency also know BC regulations. Apparently calling 911 is wrong when it was directly advised by the fire department on the phone as well as on the ground that this is required otherwise the Strata would be getting a fine.

Keeping talking out of your ass. I think I have responded to enough bile from you. :)
I’ve used this forum to read interesting stuff and buy things for a year and never commented. But when I read your post and saw your pictures, I knew you were lying. Normally I wouldn’t care, but calling 911 for this is just wrong. Living in a major metropolitan area magnifies this, as more people have real emergencies…Los Angeles, Vancouver, does not matter.

You say you came here for help but omitted the fact that you already assumed you hit the curb..why? To make it “interesting” as you say?

Get help.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
And I’d wager that most if not all have a phone capable of looking up a non emergency number. He could ask the staff at where he’s staying at. I can’t believe you’re really trying to defend this but I guess that’s why this post is so important. Under no circumstance do you call 911 for an oil spill. My wife who is an ICU nurse said he should have gotten arrested but my grandfather who has more rational mind would say the $4k price tag was a slap on the wrist.
I’ve held my tongue for 3 pages of your rant regarding this. I don’t presume to know what you do for a living, so maybe you are some expert in your area as to what 911 is and isn’t for.

What I can tell you is I spent 30 years in the emergency services, and in many areas, situations like this are exactly what 911 is for.

911 operators are not mindless boobs who just send the police or fire department out to every request for service. They screen calls, and direct people to the appropriate resource. If, in this situation a haz-mat team other than the fire department was appropriate they would have sent them. In this case I’m guessing the fire department is the haz mat team as they are in many areas.

LikeI said, I don’t presume to know what you do for a living, but based on your posts I’m guessing your wife being an ICU nurse makes you some sort of expert?

Get off the OP’s back if you have nothing constructive or helpful to say. Dude is having a bad enough week without catching crap from you for a situation that doesn’t even impact you.
Sponsored