Sponsored

Unfortunate Tuesday with my Mach 1 - engine oil mess (not as bad as BP)

KB_210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Grabber Blue A10
I would risk losing my own job over calling 911 for that. They lied to you to save themselves a headache. It was their responsibility to clean it up and then bill you for it. I have a family full of first responders and none would agree this is a 911 call in the slightest. But you also didint tell them that you hit the curb and it was your fault, did you?

Hope y’all defending this guy see this. He deleted the part where he “thought” it was his fault.

My question is…why would you post this on here? Lmao This was all your fault and the stress was because of your poor driving and bad decision making.
I don't get what you have stuffed up but why wouldn't OP post this on a Mustang forum? Isn't a forum for discussion? You should learn to just enjoy life a bit and stop taking everything so serious and as a chance to lecture someone. Your opinion is irrelevant and you should just think about that. Even if it's his fault what does that matter? Does anyone gain anything from him admitting fault? Or does it just make your ego feel better?
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Apparently Geico will cover everything for me as I have comprehensive. They will cover both the tows, property damage up to $50K, all the repairs and diagnostics on the car, etc.

:whew:
Good for you! THAT is why I always tell people to be sure to get Comp and have the deductible low (I have $0 deductible on comp and it's less than $10 more per 6 months than having $100 deductible or higher). Comp is a bargain compared to collision coverage. Having $0 deductible means it will cover everything from windshields (non-crash), slashed tires, etc. Glad Geico stepped up for you!

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
So this emblematic of the biggest problem with the S550s, poor design choices. Curbs, speed bumps, rocks, whatever all happen in the real world and a design that leads to a complete loss of engine oil based on scraping a curb is just poor.

Whether it's body seems that fail near window corners, strut tower studs that snap, A pillar seals made from tape that fail and let in water, or this Rube Goldberg inspired oil cooler plumbing, there is a pattern of bad design choices that may make sense on paper but just don't hold up in the real world. Ford has a huge quality problem and it starts right here with poor design choices.

Sorry for the (slightly) OT rant.
Seems to me he had to jump the curb as merely hitting the curb would damage the outer sidewalls and possible wheel of the tire but not what's under the car inside of the tire. That would be like saying if I hit a curb with my tire my oil pan would crack and leak.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
that's cheap. Try 7k+ and if it gets into the watershed via sewer, there's another hefty fine. Calling EMS/hazmat was the right move. Plus how many placed do you know of that sell Oil Dry? Yeah Kitty Litter does work somewhat...
I think someone posted earlier that most drains in parking garages go to an oil/water separator before dumping into the sewer. That would be smart considering what parking garages are used for (parking vehicles that have oil in them). If so, I would imagine cleaning out the oil storage from the separator isn't a big operation as it should be designed for regular "cleaning" operations.

Pws6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think someone posted earlier that most drains in parking garages go to an oil/water separator before dumping into the sewer. That would be smart considering what parking garages are used for (parking vehicles that have oil in them). If so, I would imagine cleaning out the oil storage from the separator isn't a big operation as it should be designed for regular "cleaning" operations.
The key words there is "most"

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
not to mention many firetrucks carry big rolls of fluid containment batting.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Seems to me he had to jump the curb as merely hitting the curb would damage the outer sidewalls and possible wheel of the tire but not what's under the car inside of the tire. That would be like saying if I hit a curb with my tire my oil pan would crack and leak.
I agree that it is unclear exactly what happened to the OP's car, but I was posting in response to the photo that was shared of the M1 oil cooler setup. As best I can tell from the photo, it is mounted low and towards the extremities of the vehicle, with the fittings exposed on the bottom. If that is correct, it is much more susceptible to damage than an oil pan which would be mounted further back and in the center and offered at least a small modicum of protection from the front cross member.

I certainly do not know all of the constraints surrounding the design decisions for the oil cooler installation, so maybe there reasons why this was the only choice, but at first blush, it seem like mounting it higher up and/or with the fittings on the top might make it less prone to damage.

p.s.; I know oil pans still can be damaged. When I was a kid, I remember my father getting a small crack in his oil pan due to a rock hitting it, resulting in a drip (fixed by removing the pan and brazing up the crack).

p.p.s.; I do know that Ford bashing can be a favorite pastime for some, but that was not my goal. I do love my Mustang (and it is 5th Mustang that I have owned, so I knew what I was getting into), but there are certain design choices made by Ford that leave me scratching my head.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but there are certain design choices made by Ford that leave me scratching my head.
I can just see HP cars getting cute with race track curbing (like straddling it) and tearing the hose clean off and leaving a giant oil trail. Just watch and see organizations ban Mach1 Mustangs. All because the engineers at ford didn't get under the car and look at what their pretty little CAD pictures resulted in.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Could be something as simple as a bad or loose connection at one of the hoses. A decent enough jolt (i.e the splitter hitting the curb) might have been enough to jar it off and puke oil everywhere. Once OP gets the full assessment from the dealer, I guess we’ll know.

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
Ford needs to add an option for 2023. The Mustang Curbs & Crowds edition.

That would be a perfect send off for the S550.
Sponsored