Sponsored

So, Ford Authority says ‘24 Mustang “approaches” 500 hp!

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Well, it is but it just takes an aftermarket tune to turn it on. Same exact logic.
It's capable, but doesn't come flex fuel ready. No reason you shouldn't be able to use E85 right out of the showroom.
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
Yep. Same thing happened in 93-94
This right here. Many here are too young to remember or didn’t catch it. In 93 Ford re-rated the 5.0 to 205hp from 225hp (new rating system) and the the all new 94 comes out with 215hp, 10 more than the outgoing car for a HP increase for the new car.
Problem was the 93 car (with less hp mind you) blew the doors off of the new 94 car.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Ford is playing games with ratings just to make the new car look better without doing much of anything.
Remember you can down-rate as much as you want it’s overrating that gets you in trouble.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
https://fordauthority.com/2022/07/2024-ford-mustang-v8-to-approach-500-horsepower-exclusive/

First off, what is “approaches”? 480? 485? 490?

But more importantly, on which model? I seriously doubt they’re gonna bump up the base GT by 40 hp for free. Neither Ford nor any manufacturer is in the habit of giving customers something for nothing unless it is because sales needs a shot in the arm. They might bump up the base GT a tad to make up for the “lost” 10 hp, but I doubt that too since it would kill the sales of the ‘23s. They might as well just skip the already shortened ‘23 MY altogether.

So I’m guessing they’re gonna boost up the Mach 1 and jack up the price accordingly, in an effort to have that model slide into the empty slot left open by the demise of the GT350. They’re already headed in that direction anyway so it wouldn’t be much of a leap.

Speaking of the ‘23s, as I mentioned above I wouldn’t be shocked to see Ford call a last minute audible by extending ‘22 production, accelerating ‘24 rollout and cancelling ‘23 Mustang MY production altogether. It would almost make sense and stranger things have happened!
You obviously do not know your History - Contrary to your false assumption of "Not in the habit of giving customers something for nothing.....", the Coyote did Not start at 460 Hp, and went through numerous stages of development.

Sponsored

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
This right here. Many here are too young to remember or didn’t catch it. In 93 Ford re-rated the 5.0 to 205hp from 225hp (new rating system) and the the all new 94 comes out with 215hp, 10 more than the outgoing car for a HP increase for the new car.
Problem was the 93 car (with less hp mind you) blew the doors off of the new 94 car.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Ford is playing games with ratings just to make the new car look better without doing much of anything.
Remember you can down-rate as much as you want it’s overrating that gets you in trouble.
My understanding is that manufacturers are now required to submit engines to independent assessment - or observation that must meet strict empirical testing requirements - and Ford tend to underrate performance figures over the two decades.

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
My understanding is that manufacturers are now required to submit engines to independent assessment - or observation that must meet strict empirical testing requirements - and Ford tend to underrate performance figures over the two decades.
In the current market for Dodge:
2018 Demon- 808hp
2019-2022 Super Stock and Jailbreak- 807hp
2019-2022 Redeye- 797hp
They are ALL the same engine and produce 812hp per Chrysler in house dyno and EPA certification. Different advertised HP for different models.
Ever hear the term ”Advertised HP”? Thats just it advertised. As I stated you can go down, you can’t go up.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
You obviously do not know your History - Contrary to your false assumption of "Not in the habit of giving customers something for nothing.....", the Coyote did Not start at 460 Hp, and went through numerous stages of development.
Thanks for the history lesson; I had no idea! Geez, I always thought the Coyote had 460 from the git.

But if I did have a clue I’d refer you to your own words “numerous stages of development”, which mean incremental gains along the way accompanied by obligatory price increases. That’s a little different from a single 50 HP boost overnight on the same base model.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
In the current market for Dodge:
2018 Demon- 808hp
2019-2022 Super Stock and Jailbreak- 807hp
2019-2022 Redeye- 797hp
They are ALL the same engine and produce 812hp per Chrysler in house dyno and EPA certification. Different advertised HP for different models.
Ever hear the term ”Advertised HP”? Thats just it advertised. As I stated you can go down, you can’t go up.
A Company can Underrate (Conservative Claim) but not Overrate HP. Ford was seriously Fined for Falsely Advertising Claimed HP Figures (Misrepresenting Product Specifications) back in the 1970s, and has underrated them since.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
pretty sure the 2022 thing was for emissions not mpg.
It's the same thing. MPGs/emissions are the opposite sides of the same coin.

By 2026, light trucks and passenger vehicles/cars have to average 52MPGs.

By 2026.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

By 2026.
That may not be hard to achieve with all the EV's coming out averaging 100+ MPGe ratings. Every EV makes a gas guzzler possible.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
That may not be hard to achieve with all the EV's coming out averaging 100+ MPGe ratings. Every EV makes a gas guzzler possible.
We'll see.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone noticed Ford.com is now advertising the 22 Mustang GT at 420HP?
Screenshot (363).png

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

By 2026.
ehh in my opinion emissions is what will really kill gas cars in the end. They will probably get to a point where a hybrid V8 mustang will get great MPG but you cannot get around emissions. This is the exact reason European cars now have OFP filters in the exhaust system, has nothing to do with MPG. In fact the European mustang GT has less power because of this.
Sponsored