Sponsored

Emissions won't pass because of a possible Tune was installed and turned off the O2 sensors???

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Took my 2016 Mustang GT with 16k miles in for inspection and emissions test to a Ford dealership. Inspection was no problem but the emissions test didn't pass because they said there is a possible Tune on the car with the O2 sensors bypassed. I purchased the car (not from a Ford Dealership) last August and knew there were some mods on it but had no idea if the previous owner put a tune on it. I called the auto shop where I purchased to see if they can contact the previous owner so I can discuss with them but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone know what my options are at this point?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Depends on the mods.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Depends on the mods.
Yup this. If it was tune only you could flash back to a stock tune. But if say you had a tune only intake then you would need to revert parts too then the tune.

OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
2 Mods that I know were done:
JLT Cold Air Intake
2018 Ported Intake Manifold

According to the JLT website a Tune is required.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2 Mods that I know were done:
JLT Cold Air Intake
2018 Ported Intake Manifold

According to the JLT website a Tune is required.
Would need to revert to the oem parts and tune to be sure to pass.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Yes, JLT is not smog legal. If it is the stock intake manifold then no one will know it is ported so you probably are okay to leave it as is but he will definitely need to flashback to stock.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Yes, JLT is not smog legal. If it is the stock intake manifold then no one will know it is ported so you probably are okay to leave it as is but he will definitely need to flashback to stock.
Agreed on the JLT for sure. Visibly the Ported 18 oem mani may pass but the stock tune on a 2016 won't Iike it. I would recommend swapping out both when flashing back the stock tune.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Looks like OP has a 16 with a 18 mani swap. He will need a stock tune with the IMRC's turned on and ranged for the 18 up. If they are locked out it may be possible to get a tune that will pass. Ask Wengerd or whoever you like for tuning.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Thanks guys for the info. I was afraid of this and not too happy right now. I'm hoping the previous owner will call me to let me know what he did. šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Did the previous owner at least leave the tuning device they used to tune the car? Stock tune would likely be on that as well. But wonā€™t work with the 18 mani and JLT without hardware changing. But you could then return after switching back.

Really ticks me off when people do mods and then sell or trade the car but donā€™t leave the tuning device! Basically setting up the next owner for crap like this.

Not likely to get a response from the previous owner... good luck though!

OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Did the previous owner at least leave the tuning device they used to tune the car? Stock tune would likely be on that as well. But wonā€™t work with the 18 mani and JLT without hardware changing. But you could then return after switching back.

Really ticks me off when people do mods and then sell or trade the car but donā€™t leave the tuning device! Basically setting up the next owner for crap like this.

Not likely to get a response from the previous owner... good luck though!
Thanks! He did not leave the tuning device with car.šŸ˜”

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
You may want to call the Ford dealer to see if they are able to re-flash your car to stock because itā€™s probably the only way youā€™re going to get that Stockton back on to pass your emissions test. No they will not do it for free.
Sponsored