Sponsored

Prices are on the rise......

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Many including myself paid under MSRP as well. Some paid WELL under. For an R. Especially in 2018 and some in 19. And the car I was referring to was enjoyed with 9000 miles on it. I'd say it did pretty well holding up.
9,000 miles is enjoying a car - especially if it's in a year. If it's 3 or more years, you mostly had it parked. But hey, if resale is more important than having fun with your car...

It's impressive that you paid under MSRP. I think most people were paying a LOT over MSRP. You either had a connection, are really great at negotiating, or spent hours and hours looking to find that special deal. Many people paid over MSRP for regular GT350s in 2015 and 2016. I paid $5k over in 2015. I almost walked, but once I drove it I realised the car was worth it. And I drove it over 10,000 miles per year. Lots of fun.

And my GT is less fun to drive than a GT350, but it's a heck of a lot more fun driving my GT compared to looking wistfully at a GT350 in the garage and not driving it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
9,000 miles is enjoying a car - especially if it's in a year. If it's 3 or more years, you mostly had it parked. But hey, if resale is more important than having fun with your car...

It's impressive that you paid under MSRP. I think most people were paying a LOT over MSRP. You either had a connection, are really great at negotiating, or spent hours and hours looking to find that special deal. Many people paid over MSRP for regular GT350s in 2015 and 2016. I paid $5k over in 2015. I almost walked, but once I drove it I realised the car was worth it. And I drove it over 10,000 miles per year. Lots of fun.

And my GT is less fun to drive than a GT350, but it's a heck of a lot more fun driving my GT compared to looking wistfully at a GT350 in the garage and not driving it.
I do think 9k miles is enjoying an R. I have 88xx on mine and I drive to work twice a week and whenever I want to. Just bought new set of PS4's for it and the Premium Ford ESP. My B2B is up Oct. 18th. Obviously planning on keeping it long term so resale is not a factor. Neither is tearing it up to quickly.

My deal under MSRP was a stroke of pure luck in I happen to stumble across a local dealer ad on the internet and called to fact check it. They had 2 R's and 2 reg 350's. White with Blue stipe R and my naked Shadow Black R. The two 350's were marked down $5k. Tempting but I was getting an R or bust. I was on their showroom floor in 20 minutes looking at them both. Black was a hard decision at first due the fact it shows everything but it's far more mean looking. I had it paint corrected and ceramic coated and never looked back. A fellow member bought the White/Blue R for MSRP and to the dealership's credit they held to their add price for my black one. It was nice deal on an R but not $4500 under like another member got. Dudes lucky I didn't spot that one first. It was only 2 1/2 hours away.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I do think 9k miles is enjoying an R. I have 88xx on mine and I drive to work twice a week and whenever I want to. Just bought new set of PS4's for it and the Premium Ford ESP. My B2B is up Oct. 18th. Obviously planning on keeping it long term so resale is not a factor. Neither is tearing it up to quickly.

My deal under MSRP was a stroke of pure luck in I happen to stumble across a local dealer ad on the internet and called to fact check it. They had 2 R's and 2 reg 350's. White with Blue stipe R and my naked Shadow Black R. The two 350's were marked down $5k. Tempting but I was getting an R or bust. I was on their showroom floor in 20 minutes looking at them both. Black was a hard decision at first due the fact it shows everything but it's far more mean looking. I had it paint corrected and ceramic coated and never looked back. A fellow member bought the White/Blue R for MSRP and to the dealership's credit they held to their add price for my black one. It was nice deal on an R but not $4500 under like another member got. Dudes lucky I didn't spot that one first. It was only 2 1/2 hours away.
That's unbelievable. When was this? What area of the country?

I remember regular GT350s being marked under MSRP around here in 2019. I just wasn't ready to buy. If I had known the future, I would have. But I've never ever seen an R for sale even at MSRP. And I've never seen deals like you are talking about. Like I said unbelievable. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but it's unbelievable.

Dealers are pretty good at making money, and they rarely sell a hot car for a low price.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Maybe he couldn't really afford to drive the car.
Can you explain this statement please?
How can one afford one of these cars and not afford to drive it? Someone is getting bad financial advice.

I’ve always driven my cars. If I don’t they are sold.
That said, I’ve never used my money to just sit there….

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

I remember regular GT350s being marked under MSRP around here in 2019. I just wasn't ready to buy. If I had known the future, I would have. But I've never ever seen an R for sale even at MSRP. And I've never seen deals like you are talking about. Like I said unbelievable. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but it's unbelievable.

Dealers are pretty good at making money, and they rarely sell a hot car for a low price.
I bought my R Oct. 18th 2018. Grand Prairie Ford. The ~$4500 under MSRP was bought at Pegues -Hurst Ford in Longview, TX in Nov. of 2018 I do believe, by a well known member. I'm not dragging him in. He can post up if he wants to. It's Shadow Black w/ black stripes.

Now my deal was exactly $100 under MSRP and not a huge worth to brag about other than I can claim an R for under MSRP. LOL. But considering that just across town there was a Magnetic R for $30k over, I was pretty stoked to find this one so close. The SM said he was in the business to move metal not collect it. Timing was perfect and it was meant to be. Many R's have gone for MSRP. Many.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Based on my experience it all comes down to a number of factors which include having a strong and long relationship with a particular Ford dealership, being in the right place at the right time, putting a great deal of time and effort into the search process, being patient and finally having some very good negotiating skills which in some cases does not mean a hill of beans based on some headstrong dealership owners.

I was very fortunate to purchase my R models at MSRP but that pricing was based on having a close and strong relationship with a dealership that I supported and enjoyed to work for a long time.

I great example of being in the right place and at the right time, spending time on the search process, being patient and having some very good negotiating skills is the gentleman who bought the very last 2018 Base R model from a Virginia dealership at ~$10,000 under MSRP.

It doesn't get any better than that and yes there were some MSRP deals out there over the years but to your point and certainly agree that an MSRP or under deal for an R was certainly the exception and not the rule. :like: :like:

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my R Oct. 18th 2018. Grand Prairie Ford. The ~$4500 under MSRP was bought at Pegues -Hurst Ford in Longview, TX in Nov. of 2018 I do believe, by a well known member. I'm not dragging him in. He can post up if he wants to. It's Shadow Black w/ black stripes.
sheesh. that guy made out like a bandit. :bandit:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Based on my experience it all comes down to a number of factors which include having a strong and long relationship with a particular Ford dealership, being in the right place at the right time, putting a great deal of time and effort into the search process, being patient and finally having some very good negotiating skills which in some cases does not mean a hill of beans based on some headstrong dealership owners.

I was very fortunate to purchase my R models at MSRP but that pricing was based on having a close and strong relationship with a dealership that I supported and enjoyed to work for a long time.

I great example of being in the right place and at the right time, spending time on the search process, being patient and having some very good negotiating skills is the gentleman who bought the very last 2018 Base R model from a Virginia dealership at ~$10,000 under MSRP.

It doesn't get any better than that and yes there were some MSRP deals out there over the years but to your point and certainly agree that an MSRP or under deal for an R was certainly the exception and not the rule. :like: :like:
Makes sense and I'll probably never get a deal like that. I don't plan on buying another Ford from the dealer that absolutely had to have $5k over MSRP for my GT350. They showed me how loyal they are to me.

I bought 4 cars from them in 5 years and my wife also bought a car from them during that time period. They got their extra $5k for the GT350. Now they'll probably never get another sale from me or my wife.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Can you explain this statement please?
How can one afford one of these cars and not afford to drive it? Someone is getting bad financial advice.

I’ve always driven my cars. If I don’t they are sold.
That said, I’ve never used my money to just sit there….
You can buy a car and then not be able to afford the consumables. If you drive hard on track you will be replacing tires multiple times per year, vs. tippy toeing around with the car and trying to eake every mile out of those tires to save your $$. You can be paying a loan and be afraid that you will end up owing more than the car is worth.

What's to explain? Some of the people on this forum seem to be afraid to drive their cars. Might as well not own the car if you're not even going to use it.

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
You can buy a car and then not be able to afford the consumables. If you drive hard on track you will be replacing tires multiple times per year, vs. tippy toeing around with the car and trying to eake every mile out of those tires to save your $$. You can be paying a loan and be afraid that you will end up owing more than the car is worth.

What's to explain? Some of the people on this forum seem to be afraid to drive their cars. Might as well not own the car if you're not even going to use it.
That 100% your perspective. I pay cash for all my cars and houses. I choose not to drive mine as I own several cars, work from home, and rarely have a need to use it since the pandemic. When I was traveling 2 years ago, it was my airport car.

As soon as I find an allocation for a GT500, it will become my casual weekend and airport car.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That 100% your perspective. I pay cash for all my cars and houses. I choose not to drive mine as I own several cars, work from home, and rarely have a need to use it since the pandemic. When I was traveling 2 years ago, it was my airport car.

As soon as I find an allocation for a GT500, it will become my casual weekend and airport car.
Not sure I understand how your post has anything to do with me answering 460fred's question. Can you explain?

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
Not sure I understand how your post has anything to do with me answering 460fred's question. Can you explain?
Your last point about “what’s to explain” is why I replied.

You feel “some” people on this forum do not drive their cars because they cannot afford the consumables. My point is “some” of us do not drive them because we choose not to.

Got it?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

You feel “some” people on this forum do not drive their cars because they cannot afford the consumables. My point is “some” of us do not drive them because we choose not to.

Got it?
I get it. I guess it's a lot better to prefer working or doing other things rather than driving your car. To buy the car and then just not feel like driving it. That's good, I'm sure.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I got my 2019 for 5 under msrp….. in 2019, end of year

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Got it?
What I find interesting is how certain individuals continue to preach to some of us as to how we are to spend our hard earned money, how we should spend our time whether it be work or play and how we are to enjoy our Shelby Mustangs!

In my case I find I drive some of my cars much more than others but regardless of how we conduct our lives (especially as we get older) whether it be centered around work or around our cool Shelby Mustangs, I would ask that these individuals respect our choices in life just as we need to respect their choices in life even though they are much different than mine.

:)
Sponsored