Sponsored

Header install around Sacramento or Bay Area

Lightknight0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi,

If anyone knows any installers that will install headers nearby, could you DM me? I've called over a dozen shops in Sacramento (mostly exhaust shops) and most do not do header installs anymore. There was one that said they would be able to do it but only if the header had a CARB EO (do those exists?). One said they would do it but quoted around 11 hours for $1800. I couldn't find any Mustang specific performance shops nearby (my google skills suck) other than AED. I tried calling a couple of more specialty shops just to try my luck, but they only work on specific vehicles.

A couple of shops gave me recommendations on shops nearby that they remember doing header installs. But after calling those shops, they no longer do them as well.

I couldn't find any recent posts but some of the shops mentioned in older posts have mostly closed down or no longer doing installs (Not sure if AED did installs, but calling their number indicates that they only do tunes at this time). I even widened my search to header installs for any vehicles on google and looked around. The shops that still exists from those posts only work on specific vehicles (LS engines, German cars, etc), non of which seems to work on mustangs.

Any help would be much appreciated. I do not mind driving out a few hours if needed. I have a set of Kooks 1 7/8th Green Cat headers for a 2018 Mustang GT 10sp.

Thanks!!
Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Without the CARB EO number its a 25,000 dollar fine if shops install your headers- most not willing to take the chance as CARB does make visits to shops on a regular basis (I work in the automotive aftermarket)

If you must do it, I would like to going out of state- Nevada or Arizona to get it done....but be warned its a couple thousand dollar fine if you get caught with a car that has emission devices removed in CA- ask me how I know! : (

(I got pulled over- they told me my exhaust sounded loud- and they did a inspection right there side of road)

OP
OP

Lightknight0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to decide how much I really want this on and either install it myself one starry night or sell it off.

Thanks

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to decide how much I really want this on and either install it myself one starry night or sell it off.

Thanks

To be honest its not worth the hassle. What are you going to do when you have to get the car smogged in Cali? Even if all the readiness codes are present what about the visual? I would pass..the plus 10hp not worth the hassle at all. There is a reason why shops won't install them anymore.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
To be honest its not worth the hassle. What are you going to do when you have to get the car smogged in Cali? Even if all the readiness codes are present what about the visual? I would pass..the plus 10hp not worth the hassle at all. There is a reason why shops won't install them anymore.
It's 7 years after new to smog. And smog isn't a sniffer. My car has nothing turned off with emissions and I have long tubes, he just needs a shop to not look for the longtubes years from now I'd say that's worth it.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's 7 years after new to smog. And smog isn't a sniffer. My car has nothing turned off with emissions and I have long tubes, he just needs a shop to not look for the longtubes years from now I'd say that's worth it.
That's the issue, finding a shop that doesn't look for it. Most do. It's actually 8 yrs no smog if new.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
So why worry about that if you don't have to smog for 8 years? I bet most people on here will not have the same car for 8 years anyways

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So why worry about that if you don't have to smog for 8 years? I bet most people on here will not have the same car for 8 years anyways

Well if you read the OP its an issue of finding someone to even install it. Also, I had my E92 M3 pulled over and the "street racing squad" checked out my car for illegal parts. It had test pipes but the rear cats were still in place so it looked like my cats were still there when the primaries were removed. My AFE CAI had a CARB EO# so they let me go. You live in San Diego, if you ever go through Irvine look out...the cops love pulling hot rodders over in that neck of the woods.

Also you are right about most people not having the car for 8 years, but to sell you are going t need to return it to stock and get it smogged adding to the cost of removing the headers and installing the OEM midpipe back on.

Are you running headers? If not why?

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Well if you read the OP its an issue of finding someone to even install it. Also, I had my E92 M3 pulled over and the "street racing squad" checked out my car for illegal parts. It had test pipes but the rear cats were still in place so it looked like my cats were still there when the primaries were removed. My AFE CAI had a CARB EO# so they let me go. You live in San Diego, if you ever go through Irvine look out...the cops love pulling hot rodders over in that neck of the woods.

Also you are right about most people not having the car for 8 years, but to sell you are going t need to return it to stock and get it smogged adding to the cost of removing the headers and installing the OEM midpipe back on.

Are you running headers? If not why?
My response wasn't to the op, but yes I have headers and I installed them myself, when the day comes I have to remove them I will do it myself

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My response wasn't to the op, but yes I have headers and I installed them myself, when the day comes I have to remove them I will do it myself

Yea thats probably what he is going to have to do. I was going to consider the AFE units with the 300cpi metallic cats. They pulled them off the website for sale, no longer available. Your headers could end up being quite a catch for someone at one time. They can probably become unobtanium.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Lightknight0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, considering that I don't have to smog the car until 2026, I am willing to get it put on and roll the dice.

With my last car, I was planning on keeping it legal-ish since it was my first new car that I purchased of my own money and wanted to keep the warrantee. After a year or so, I decided that I really wanted to work on the car and installed a bunch of stuff just to learn (among other things, turboback exhaust, charge pipe, blow off valve, motor mount, lowering struts with springs, short shifter kit, wing riser, mudflaps, etc). Always wanted to work on the car and finally having enough disposable income (and then some for if things go bad), I could do some things I wished I could of done earlier (friends were really into modifying their cars at one point).

With this car, its similar, except first time with a V8. I had planned to install the headers myself but did not expect it to be as much of a PIA as it is (normally takes me much longer to bolt things up than your average person). I got through 1/4 or 1/5 of the process (got all the bolts off the passenger side, just needed to get the studs off too) before I decided to put things back together since I still had the driver side and putting the passenger new one on the passenger side is probably just as hard to get to some of the bolts. Not to mention, I somehow striped one of the passenger side motor mount molt (just barely stripped it). Luckily, was able to rethread it and clear it out (now its buttery smooth in and out). So it was at this point, I decided to look into having someone else put it on (and off when the time comes).

With that being said, I've put a hold on the project and am working on other things for the car for now. When I come back to it, I do have a couple of leads (easiest does seem to be driving out to nevada which isn't too far). I'd be up to attempting it again, just needed to take a break from it.

shawn.m

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convert, 7.5 Dodge Ram
Not worth it to most shops as people have said.

Being in the valley or in Sacramento greater region - lots of focus on street racing. So CHP is now doing street racing inspections on cars. If your car LOOKS or SOUNDS like it could be street racing then CHP is pulling cars over. They have officers trained to look for EO numbers, headers, no cats and then impound your car on the spot. Going back to the bad old days of import cars in 90's. Fine starts at $1000 per infraction.
Probably why my vert will get the FPP P1 or roush Power pack as they are EO 50 Carb. Now my truck - lets squint at it very carefully and it looks stock ;) - same group of black smoke rolling bozo's ruined that culture.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
My buddy does it in Oakley. Id have to ask him to see if hes willing to do a header install.

PONYPWR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Reno's the same 2 hr drive from Sacramento as the Bay Area. Just sayin'. If you'd be interested in the name of a good shop in Reno, let me know. I can advise. Good Luck!
Sponsored