Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
OP et al: I just spent the better part of a week detailing, paint correcting, and applying my first ceramic coating to the wife's vehicle. I was a bit timid with the stuff at first but that was unnecessary as it is quite forgiving, at least CarPro's C.Quartz was.

So, the myth was busted and I quickly picked up on efficiently coating the car. But, being ridiculously obsessive, it still took me a full seven plus hours.

The KEY thing about ceramic is making CERTAIN you get it completely wiped off within the first hour or so. Multiple cheap MF towels did the trick and buffed with a higher quality towel. But getting all the residue off is imperative because after a day of cure time, it's there for a long while.

But OCD + plodder yields good results that are quite apparent visually after only one coat. Hers will just get the one coat this time, maybe double coat on the next pass but the '20 Shelby is next on the list and she's gonna get two coats of the same stuff. I did do one single pass on her with Sonax shortly after delivery last year and plan to do that again before giving her a coating of C.Quartz.

Bottom line OP...I'm sold and even if you don't have the tools or the know how to paint correct, anyone that is reasonably methodical, can do a ceramic coating and I would recommend one either directly on the clear coat of any vehicle or, on top of PPF.

I know, it's not a Mustang but, I'll be posting photos after I give the Shelby the same treatment. First though, I have to give my bod a rest for a few days.

Can't wait to wash the darn car now to watch the aqua fall off. :cool:

1611531568318.png

1611531645064.png
Sponsored

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang(race red) 2019 Honda CR-V VTI AWD.
OP et al: I just spent the better part of a week detailing, paint correcting, and applying my first ceramic coating to the wife's vehicle. I was a bit timid with the stuff at first but that was unnecessary as it is quite forgiving, at least CarPro's C.Quartz was.

So, the myth was busted and I quickly picked up on efficiently coating the car. But, being ridiculously obsessive, it still took me a full seven plus hours.

The KEY thing about ceramic is making CERTAIN you get it completely wiped off within the first hour or so. Multiple cheap MF towels did the trick and buffed with a higher quality towel. But getting all the residue off is imperative because after a day of cure time, it's there for a long while.

But OCD + plodder yields good results that are quite apparent visually after only one coat. Hers will just get the one coat this time, maybe double coat on the next pass but the '20 Shelby is next on the list and she's gonna get two coats of the same stuff. I did do one single pass on her with Sonax shortly after delivery last year and plan to do that again before giving her a coating of C.Quartz.

Bottom line OP...I'm sold and even if you don't have the tools or the know how to paint correct, anyone that is reasonably methodical, can do a ceramic coating and I would recommend one either directly on the clear coat of any vehicle or, on top of PPF.

I know, it's not a Mustang but, I'll be posting photos after I give the Shelby the same treatment. First though, I have to give my bod a rest for a few days.

1611531568318.png

1611531645064.png
Stunning! Great job!🦘🦘🦘🦘🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺👍👍👍👍

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

1611531568318.png

1611531645064.png
Very nicely done, I love the color of that Cadillac.

I'm assuming you used CQUARTZ UK?

Another option for the second coat would be to use Gliss.
https://carpro.global/catalog/gliss/

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/ceramic-coatings/products/carpro-gliss-50ml-kit
"......a new hydrophobic top coat that can be used as a standalone specialized coating, or on top of their flagship Cquartz coatings.

CarPro Gliss is a new glass coating that has increased chemical resistance, a crazy slick surface, intense gloss and crazy water beading. It features a new innovative long chain polymer structure that allows for that extreme slick result.

The addition of Gliss on your Cquartz coatings will not only take your vehicle to the next level but protect and improve the Cquartz coatings even further."

"May be applied 4 hour or longer after CQuartz."

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
DB: I picked up the C.Quartz over a year ago in anticipation of taking delivery of the Shelby so I guess it was "pre UK" whatever that means. If there's a detectable difference, I'm betting it is slight.

Good tip on using Gliss as a second coat for both, I'd read about it briefly and I think I will take you up on the suggestion. After using every bit of 30ml (Gyeon Rim) on the Mustang wheels, I was QUITE surprised to find that I barely used half of a 50ml bottle on the whole Cadillac. (The C.Quartz was easier to apply and remove than the Gyeon Rim product as well.)

So, since I bought two kits back then, I have about 70ml total of C.Quartz for Sarah and I'll pick up a couple bottles of Gliss. That way, I can second coat the Mustang while I have her up on the lift. I can do the second coat on the Caddy sometime in the near future while the vehicle is still ultra clean.

Thanks for the tip, amigo.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
DB: I picked up the C.Quartz over a year ago in anticipation of taking delivery of the Shelby so I guess it was "pre UK" whatever that means. If there's a detectable difference, I'm betting it is slight.

Good tip on using Gliss as a second coat for both, I'd read about it briefly and I think I will take you up on the suggestion. After using every bit of 30ml (Gyeon Rim) on the Mustang wheels, I was QUITE surprised to find that I barely used half of a 50ml bottle on the whole Cadillac. (The C.Quartz was easier to apply and remove than the Gyeon Rim product as well.)

So, since I bought two kits back then, I have about 70ml total of C.Quartz for Sarah and I'll pick up a couple bottles of Gliss. That way, I can second coat the Mustang while I have her up on the lift. I can do the second coat on the Caddy sometime in the near future while the vehicle is still ultra clean.

Thanks for the tip, amigo.
C.Quartz is the original formulation suitable for warmer climates.

C.Quartz UK is designed to flash quicker for cooler climates. UK is said to be more user friendly, although they both have similar protection qualities.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, dude and it's definitely "warmer" here than most places. Also, if UK is allegedly easier and more forgiving, I'm not sure how as the original formula really was a piece of cake. I forced myself to use a timer for flashing but it would be nice if it did so quicker, probably could have saved an hour or more.

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
sorry to backtrack on this topic a bit, after a bit of research, and reading this topic, ceramic coating done by a pro makes the water bead off and dust stick less but it doesnt stop swirls ?

does the ceramic coating keep the glow of your car looking new?

ive bought the meguires hybrid wax, micro fibre towels, mitts, pressure cleaner (doesnt have snow foam accessory, just water)
two bucket method, blot dry, different towels for wheels, lower half etc. apply the meguires every 2-3 months

absolutely petrified of swirl marks, even though my new car already has a few tiny ones straight from the dealer, to a point that im thinking of washing my car as least as possible:) or just pressure wash the dust off and not actually use soap when the car gets dusty, so I dont touch the paint with a washmitt

should I get the professional ceramic coating done? car is garaged

Last edited:

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black

1611531568318.png

1611531645064.png
absolutely perfect paint/treatment!

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Mine was $900.00 US in May of 2019

Paint Protection Film Install - Partial Front
- Front Bumper
- Partial Hood
- Partial Fenders
- Mirrors
- A Pillars
That is what I think I am going to do.We we’re going to get the other vehicle Ceramic coated(2020 Nissan X-Trail) Nissan Rogue to you guys.But decided against it,it was purchased last November.I purchased a bottle of UK Quartz 3.0,so,I am tempted to have ago on the Nissan.It is really only a daily driver etc..& will probably be turned over around the 5 year mark.

DC0610E6-289F-4640-9D53-9B1F428E7ED5.jpeg

Last edited:

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't have the $ for a bare minimum xpel front covering, why are you trying to justify a ceramic coating cost??

Sponsored

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
If you don't have the $ for a bare minimum xpel front covering, why are you trying to justify a ceramic coating cost??
PPF is around the 5-6k mark(full)I am not ‘trying’ to justify anything.Don’t know where you got that one from.A bit perplexed on that comment.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Ron: I just did my first application of C.Quartz a few days ago and here are a few comments.

First, there is no need to be intimidated about applying a coating. Think "stubborn paste wax." It doesn't haze and dry hard or dust like wax, it's more like "greasy" and takes addtional buffing to remove. But here's THE most important tip...

Ensure that you have VERY good lighting for every panel so that you can be CERTAIN that you remove everything from each area before moving to the next section. Remember, this is silicon dioxide and when this stuff cures, it's nearly as hard as glass.

So, if you happen to leave a light coat on a poorly-lit panel and don't notice it even for a few hours, you'll have to machine polish it off with compound. These are what are referred to as "high spots." But, as long as you buff the surface clean and shiny on every panel before you move on, you will have some moderate scratch protection and, enhanced gloss.

All that said though, I believe that it is imperative that the vehicle be paint corrected first if you really want to see the benefit of ceramic. Yes, you can apply it to a "detailed" vehicle but any scratches or other marks in the clear coat will be there for at least a couple years until the coating finally wears off.

Hope that helps with your decision...

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Ron: I just did my first application of C.Quartz a few days ago and here are a few comments.

First, there is no need to be intimidated about applying a coating. Think "stubborn paste wax." It doesn't haze and dry hard or dust like wax, it's more like "greasy" and takes addtional buffing to remove. But here's THE most important tip...

Ensure that you have VERY good lighting for every panel so that you can be CERTAIN that you remove everything from each area before moving to the next section. Remember, this is silicon dioxide and when this stuff cures, it's nearly as hard as glass.

So, if you happen to leave a light coat on a poorly-lit panel and don't notice it even for a few hours, you'll have to machine polish it off with compound. These are what are referred to as "high spots." But, as long as you buff the surface clean and shiny on every panel before you move on, you will have some moderate scratch protection and, enhanced gloss.

All that said though, I believe that it is imperative that the vehicle be paint corrected first if you really want to see the benefit of ceramic. Yes, you can apply it to a "detailed" vehicle but any scratches or other marks in the clear coat will be there for at least a couple years until the coating finally wears off.

My Mustang is getting done in two weeks(1st) will be having it applied with ‘Kamikaze Zi

Thx for your reply.I am having my GT done in two weeks.Will be having ‘Kamikaze Zipang’ coating applied,the stuff is as expensive as ‘gold’!But,I believe one of the best out there.Actually,’ hand made’ in Japan,very well respected product.Cheers.Ron.👍🦘🦘🦘🦘🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺