2021 GT500: Manual Trans Option?

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
I had the option of a 500 or a 350R at the time when I got my allocation.... I love the 500 and what it’s about.... but for me, I gave up the two peddles for my 6speed and went with the R..... my buddy has the 500 and I did get the chance to drive it, and yes it’s fast as hell, but even still doesn’t make me feel buyers regret one bit- to each their own, but when I pass my car off to my boys one day, (their both under 3) 99.9% of their friends won’t even know what a manual transmission is by the time their ready to drive.....
Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Ya know........it's all about preferences and what each driver wants!! Sure the Dual Clutch Autos are faster than the average manual driver....BUT......who here actually drives competition for a living and would be better off with an Auto for that reason??🤔

It took me 4 years to find my 5.0 Vert 6-speed and it was WORTH THE WAIT!!🙂😉

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ya know........it's all about preferences and what each driver wants!! Sure the Dual Clutch Autos are faster than the average manual driver....BUT......who here actually drives competition for a living and would be better off with an Auto for that reason??🤔

Correction.....

Faster than any manual driver. That can not be disputed.

Performance is the sum of all the parts that make one car faster than another. The driver is the part of the equation that can apply that performance to achieve a desired outcome. When I go to the track, I don't pussy foot around nor do I do parade laps. The performance enhancements applied to the GT500 CFTP make it the clear winner in a comparison between it and the R at a fast track.

If performance is not what you are after, then its OK to settle as long as you are happy at the end of the day.

And again, the DCT is not an automatic transmission.

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP

+1
And if I cared about having a track monster, I wouldn't be putting my efforts into an S550 chassis anyway. On this platform, 3 pedals all the way for me.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And if I cared about having a track monster, I wouldn't be putting my efforts into an S550 chassis anyway
At what price point? If you want CFTP track performance, your alternative is a GT3RS at 1/4 of a million dollars.

What Ford has done is deliver that kind of performance at a heck of a lot less than the above.

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Correction.....

Faster than any manual driver. That can not be disputed.

Performance is the sum of all the parts that make one car faster than another. The driver is the part of the equation that can apply that performance to achieve a desired outcome. When I go to the track, I don't pussy foot around nor do I do parade laps. The performance enhancements applied to the GT500 CFTP make it the clear winner in a comparison between it and the R at a fast track.

If performance is not what you are after, then its OK to settle as long as you are happy at the end of the day.

I agree.....YOU may drive an Auto faster than average hobbyist "Track Guys" but I'll bet GOOD and experienced Road Course Drivers (those that drive professionally) would probably be about equal........but I really don't care 'cause I love my 6-speed!:wink:

BTW.........just got back from a 55 mile ride through the country!! 😁

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I agree.....YOU may drive an Auto faster than average hobbyist "Track Guys" but I'll bet GOOD and experienced Road Course Drivers (those that drive professionally) would probably be about equal........but I really don't care 'cause I love my 6-speed!:wink:

BTW.........just got back from a 55 mile ride through the country!! 😁
I was driving with the pros at Daytona in the CFTP. The car was absolutely amazing. At that level of driving the DCT is an asset, one that I was happy to have. I couldn't say the same about a manual transmission.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sorry, but if a transmission has any decision capability over what gear to put itself in, that makes it an automatic. It's not the internal mechanisms that make a transmission an automatic or a manual, it's if the transmission (including its electronic or hydraulic logic) can make any of its own gear choices without direct command from the driver.

Norm

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
This is really gettin' kinda HUMOROUS.........arguing about TECHNOLOGY!!:giggle:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, but if a transmission has any decision capability over what gear to put itself in, that makes it an automatic. It's not the internal mechanisms that make a transmission an automatic or a manual, it's if the transmission (including its electronic or hydraulic logic) can make any of its own gear choices without direct command from the driver.

Norm
It is generally understood that the essential portion of an automatic transmission is a torque converter. The DCT is a dual clutch mechanism that changes gears just like a manual transmission, except it is done via electrical signals instead of a mechanical lever. The dual clutches in the transmission take turns shifting through each gear. The mechanism more closely resembles that of a manual transmission as opposed to an automatic transmission. People refer to it as an automatic, but in essence, it really isn't.

The reason Ford did not include the GT500 in the brake pedal bracket recall was due to this issue. The deciding criteria to be included in the recall was automatic transmission. The GT500 didn't have an automatic transmission, and that is the reason that it wasn't included in the recall, until it was pointed out that the 500 had the same brake pedal bracket.

Dual-Clutch vs Automatic Transmissions | Understanding DCT | CJ Pony Parts

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This is really gettin' kinda HUMOROUS.........arguing about TECHNOLOGY!!:giggle:
I don't see the humor. What's so funny? Isn't the forum here to discuss technology?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
"Performance" isn't an all-or-nothing attribute. There is also the matter of driving to extract as much performance as you can from the equipment that you're driving.

That's the whole basis behind having different race classes, and exactly what you're still doing with a DCT-equipped GT500 . . . you aren't competing directly against Formula 1 cars on the track, not even vintage ones, so even your concept of "performance" has implied limits.

Norm

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Right out of the GT500 owners manual supplement

Screenshot_20201224-092009_Drive.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
"Performance" isn't an all-or-nothing attribute. There is also the matter of driving to extract as much performance as you can from the equipment that you're driving.

That's the whole basis behind having different race classes, and exactly what you're still doing with a DCT-equipped GT500 . . . you aren't competing directly against Formula 1 cars on the track, not even vintage ones, so even your concept of "performance" has implied limits.

Norm
Everything has limits Norm

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
Blows my mind how these people take the time to troll the GT500 forum and they have never even driven the car let alone own one, lol. Classic case of sour grapes. Oh well, sucks to be a broke-ass.
Sponsored