Metal Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (CFTP), others
… ’cuz my GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack was delivered with one. :facepalm:

Took delivery of #L2100 (produced late June, Penske paint purgatory for rest of the summer) just after Columbus day, and following the recommendations of forum members, did not have the drop ship Ford dealer contact a full scale dealer prep. I agreed for the dealer technician to conduct a modified PDI technical inspection and ensure everything was mechanically sound – which luckily it was. No ‘big ass kink in the cooling hose’, dead battery, chips in painted stripes, or other issues I’ve seen posted up. All the boxes with the splitter wickers, oil separator, and car cover were sealed in the trunk; Recaros still in plastic with the splitter on the passenger seat; all shipping labels, window sticker, CF wing protection, and interior plastic covers remained in place.

20201012_130258.jpg

20201013_200921.jpg

Unfortunately, cosmetic damage occurred to the right rear CF wheel and tire (see green markings below) caused during loading / unloading (dealer says this was the second GT500 with exact damage from same truck transportation company), as well as a slight ding in right rear panel above wheel. Dealer refused to release my car when my wife and I went to pick up – what a tease – until they filed damage claim paperwork and pulled out the dent the following day. I’m supposed to be receiving a new wheel and tire once they can track both down and unsure sure if I keep damaged CF wheel, or Ford retains at this point...

20201012_130239.jpg

After the dent was pulled, pictures taken, and forms filled out for processing, I returned to accept delivery.

Getting to the GT350R splitter – I scheduled paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coating the day after delivery at a superior shop here in Tampa Bay, which took 9 days. Car looks *amazing* to say the least. Over the next few days, I installed several parts I amassed (I’ll add to the ‘Mods’ thread) and got everything prepped to install the splitter, still factory wrapped.

20201106_070337.jpg

I realized there might be an issue when I attempted to install the Bemaro SHELBY splitter vinly inlays, as they were slightly larger and wouldn’t fit… No issue with the order, correct part received, so then I started examining the splitter part number. “No way Ford could send me the wrong splitter… not with this $100K+ 'halo' Mustang” I thought, as I opened the attached instructions labeled “GT350R”. Cross checking the GT500 part number from extremely helpful install videos (thanks @Goose), I came to the head slapping realization that I in fact have a GT350R splitter. The part numbers are virtually identical, save for the first letter.

GT500 FRONT SPLITTER ASSEMBLY; PART NUMBER: KR3V-17F775-A

GT350R FRONT SPLITTER ASSEMBLY; PART NUMBER: FR3V-17F775-A

20201023_100717.jpg

20201023_100857.jpg

If I had requested the dealership prep, this would have been discovered upon the tech's installation. I conducted the same visual inspection of the splitter as did the tech, so I cannot fault him. It’s a 6 foot bubble wrapped chunk of plastic taped to a crescent moon piece of cardboard… pretty unavoidable to miss. “Splitter…? Yep – right there in the passenger seat.”

I contacted my salesman, the company warranty dept, and the dealership warranty guy providing pictures and part numbers for a ‘misbuild’ claim. This claim was accepted by Ford a week later, and my GT500 splitter will (hopefully) arrive next week. Will it be a super cool CF one like on the Track Attack cars? It goes with the CFTP package, right? Yeah - probably not. Will I have to exchange the GT350R splitter when the GT500 one arrives?
I don’t know. I just want my correct splitter.

I could have tacked this issue to the thread created by @Tomster “Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...”, too, as it really demonstrates simple carelessness or rushing to “good enough”. Neither are acceptable, and certainly not for a car of this caliber. With 600+ miles (man they add up quick!) I have not had any of the major issues reported by other GT500 owners, so I feel lucky that if this (and the damaged CF wheel and tire) are the only gripes to contend with, then it’s more than worth it. This car is absolutely amazing. The long wait was more than worth it.

For the forum members (and those who haunt – which I did for well over a year) awaiting delivery of their awesome GT500, take the time to verify the splitter part number if the dealership does not a complete a full scale delivery prep!

Metal Mike :rockon:
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Add another item to the list of pre-delivery inspection items.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Add another item to the list of pre-delivery inspection items.
Yes, I could use a splitter for one of my R's. One of them has some pretty good scrapes going and a deformation when the shipper must have hit something with it. Throw me a number when you get a chance.

Edited to add:
The GT500 is a 2 piece design. Honestly, I kind of liked the one piece design of the R model, but the 2 piece does seem to be more structurally sound the way it is attached to the car. The 500 doesn't have the same tabs on the front bumper fascia, which is good in that if the 350 tabs are damaged, the splitter won't correctly attach to the car. I guess too many guys were driving around without splitters and subsequently scraped their tabs.

Did you get the Ford TireCare policy?

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Oh, and the wheel is something they always ask for back. I hope you get to keep it. Send it out to spyder composites to get it repaired if you do.

OP
OP
Metal Mike

Metal Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I could use a splitter for one of my R's. One of them has some pretty good scrapes going and a deformation when the shipper must have hit something with it. Throw me a number when you get a chance.

Edited to add:
The GT500 is a 2 piece design. Honestly, I kind of liked the one piece design of the R model, but the 2 piece does seem to be more structurally sound the way it is attached to the car. The 500 doesn't have the same tabs on the front bumper fascia, which is good in that if the 350 tabs are damaged, the splitter won't correctly attach to the car. I guess too many guys were driving around without splitters and subsequently scraped their tabs.

Did you get the Ford TireCare policy?
You're first on the list if they don't make me exchange it Tom. I didn't get the TireCare policy (nor was I offered) likely since my car is an 'export', purchased through Military Auto Sales (lengthy story I ll post on a build page). Not sure the outcome of keeping the damaged wheel, but it would be certainly be nice as a (rear) spare.

I also didn't get any pressure to sign up for Ford Pass; the local dealership simply recieved my car, conducted a modified PDI, and collected state sales tax. I had no dealings with this dealer prior, but they seem to be working well with me despite the issues being unrelated to their dealership.

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Sorry to hear of your troubles, I'm in Clearwater hopefully I get to see this car one day

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You're first on the list if they don't make me exchange it Tom. I didn't get the TireCare policy (nor was I offered) likely since my car is an 'export', purchased through Military Auto Sales (lengthy story I ll post on a build page). Not sure the outcome of keeping the damaged wheel, but it would be certainly be nice as a (rear) spare.

I also didn't get any pressure to sign up for Ford Pass; the local dealership simply recieved my car, conducted a modified PDI, and collected state sales tax. I had no dealings with this dealer prior, but they seem to be working well with me despite the issues being unrelated to their dealership.
Thats a shame about the TireCare. Maybe Ford got wise and stopped offering it. They don't offer that policy for GT350Rs anymore because i believe they lost their ass.

Thanks for considering me for the splitter, I really could use it. Let me know, thanks!

Edited to add:
Thanks for serving, I'm a 12 yr vet myself.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If the tomster changes his mind for some reason, I would like a whack at it ;)

...but I only have 11 years in, so he outranks me :D
Thank your for your service.

I won't change my mind, lol. I really do need one. What branch?

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Thank your for your service.

I won't change my mind, lol. I really do need one. What branch?
no doubt, I wouldn’t either!

and we don’t need to thank each other, we know what we did...but two branches, 5 army and 6 Air Force ;)

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Thats a shame about the TireCare. Maybe Ford got wise and stopped offering it. They don't offer that policy for GT350Rs anymore because i believe they lost their ass.

Thanks for considering me for the splitter, I really could use it. Let me know, thanks!

Edited to add:
I got the tire care with mine.

OP
OP
Metal Mike

Metal Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Edited to add:
Thank you, and thank you for your service as well. I m out next summer, right at the 20 year mark. This car was my retirement gift to myself, and the best gift I ve ever recieved! :rockon:

OP
OP
Metal Mike

Metal Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
If the tomster changes his mind for some reason, I would like a whack at it ;)

...but I only have 11 years in, so he outranks me :D
And thank you for serving too! It's yours if Tom reconsiders for some reason (though I doubt it)... and this is all speculation based not having to exchange it of course :fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
Metal Mike

Metal Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
no doubt, I wouldn’t either!

and we don’t need to thank each other, we know what we did...but two branches, 5 army and 6 Air Force ;)
True - but it's nice to hear it, especially this time of year :like:
Sponsored