Sponsored

GT350 vs GT350R - Talk me out of an R

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Or not....

Most know me here but for those who dont, I own a 2017 GT350 with 62,500 miles (not a typo). Its my daily driver (which is driven more than half the time by my lovely wife whom I cant be thankful enough to support me with my abnormal habits). I put snow tires on in winter and drive it in snow. I drive it across country 2500 miles once sometimes twice a year to see family. I take it to beach every weekend in summer. I carry 4x4 timber in it as well as pvc pipe or bags of topsoil or mulch or boxes of ikea furniture. Yes, yes....I am an anomaly. Oh and I have a 10 year old who sits in the back.

I also own a C7 ZR1 along with a 991.2 GT3RS.

Following are the mods I have done on my GT350:

- Signature wheels in R fitment (20.5 lbs each) - I run square 305 MPSS. I run Michelin PA4s in 285 square on stock wheels.
- Ford performance exhaust
- MGW Shifter
- QA1 CF driveshaft
- Steeda jack rails
- Steeda crossmember
- (Not yet installed) Soler Ported TB and TC.
- xpel on 60% of the car

In my entire ownership in this many miles, the A/C had to be replaced in mile 8000/year 1. Radiator replaced in mile 30,000/year 3 (this was done as per my concern of car drinking about 1/4 qt of coolant per 10,000 mile but later i determined the radiator didnt fix it and inspecting the plugs at 50,000 miles, it may be that some small amount of coolant keeps going into combustion chamber). And lastly at mile 55,000 one of the front control arms replaced as it was squeaking in turns ($250 - I paid out of pocket). Overall, the cheapest and least amount of headache of any car I have owned.

Now why I am here is because this is the only car that I have owned that I want another one, because I (and my family) have made such a connection that it never got old. So much nostalgia and character. And the other reason is I always wanted an R. I want the CF wheels and the big wing and I want the massive splitter. I want the matte stripes and red stitching inside. Now I wouldnt worry about CF wheels being stolen and no I wouldnt worry about dinging them. I would have to move all my mods over to R and I can with the exception of MGW but thats only $350 andI dont mind doing it again. I would use the signature wheels for snow tires and use CF wheels for summer.

Now the part that isnt so great is I am being offered 35k for my car. Maybe I ll get 37k. The cheapest R I found is around 75k. The difference including taxes (assuming trade in credit) is around 41k. Xpel would be another 5-6k and 2k for MPSS tires to be put on CF and snows to be mounted. So I am looking at 50k (and probably 2 days worth of mod uninstall/install).

The question is, given my car and how it sits with the mods, if I were to be blind folded, would I be able to tell one over the other? From a driving feel, acceleration, handling, and sound (assuming R would be quieter as my car is quite a bit louder with FP exhaust).

I could swing the 50k but I just dont know if its outright stupid. But then part of me says there will never be a gt350r and as years go by likely hood of getting one with no or low miles diminishes.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I totally enjoyed your post. I think it’s awesome that you have used your car the way it was meant to be used (OK, maybe not the 4x4’s). Your love for your car is very evident and so.......

I could swing the 50k but I just dont know if its outright stupid.
Yes, of course it’s stupid. But that’s your brain talking. Your heart knows better. As Eminem once said,

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?

Do it. You can thank me later. :like::rockon::)

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
If you plan on moving onto a new 350 it might as well be an “R”!

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'd go ahead and get an "R". You cannot put the kid in the back and the seat delete does not fold down for dump runs or Home Depot lumber hauling. People might think you are a tad odd, using a $75,000 car like a garbage truck or minivan but to each his own.

Maybe put your car up for sale on here and try for a tad more money? Or scour the earth for the R and see if there is one at a dealer in the mid-west or northern states that has one sitting in the showroom who wants it gone before spring. Buying it for MSRP or slightly less would save a few bucks.

When I picked up my car, the selling dealer said it should not use a drop of oil (it hasn't in 4,500 miles) and it was made to last 150-200,000 miles like every other car Ford builds these days. Your maintenance costs for 62,000 miles seem about normal. I think an R would be awesome and soon enough there will not be a new one around.

With Mach 1's coming out soon and new Broncos, 2020 GT350's might be cheaper just to free up showroom space.

Sponsored

vdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6mt
If you are going to keep the R long term then I think it makes sense to get it. That $50k amortized over 10 years is just $5k per year. That's not that bad at all for something that would bring you happiness on a daily basis.

Just my perspective :like:

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
that trade value seems reasonable for the higher than usual miles on it, and IMO if you want something and can afford that something there is zero reason to not just do what you want. YOLO reasoning is only dumb if you put yourself in a bind by living that way.

I've never driven an R, but my non R feels better on track w/ the FP springs and sways, and is slightly stiffer on road, so guessing you'd notice similar stiffness difference with an R. No other input from me since I've never driven an R!

Good luck!!

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
If you are changing vehicles, do it now.
Once your mileage reaches 68k you will see another big drop in cars value. Even over 65k will make a difference.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Do it. You already own C7 ZR1 and 991.2 GT3 RS. Adding a GT350R to that lineup is in my opinion, best power trio of sport/performance (track) cars of past 10 years.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm surprised you can get that high of an offer with that many miles on it and having used it like you do (driving in snow/salt etc.). I would probably either keep driving the car as is or take the trade.

Personally I would trade for a newer/low miles GT350. I'd find one with a long warranty and keep using it the same way you have been. The regular GT350 is the one that's intended to be used the way you want to use it. Everything the R has over the regular GT350 is geared toward making it great on track and many of those things could make it a little less enjoyable on the street. And I've been around this forum for a while - I don't think you are a track guy or if you are you sure don't talk about it.

For a cool climate the heated seats are awesome. The R doesn't get those IIRC.

The GT350 has more comfortable suspension settings. I think it is perfect for commuting. Firm and controlled, but almost never too firm.

The regular GT350 wheels are relatively inexpensive and even though you have money you don't seem to ever want to waste it. The carbon fiber wheels costs thousands each to replace. You can get insurance coverage for them, but that is costly as well. The CF wheels have the reputation of being amazing, but I don't think they are worth the extra money for your use case.

The lower ride height and big splitter on the R are going to be annoying at times for both you and your wife. Sure you can think of it as fun trying to figure out how to get where you're going without scraping, but it's enough on the regular GT350. The R is quite a bit lower. I would personally avoid it, especially for winter driving where you are essentially going to be driving a snow plow on some days.

And your 10 YO won't be riding in the back seat of the R. Reason enough IMO. You won't be able to drive it whenever you need to drive the 10 YO somewhere. Means it will be parked more of the time and just in your way.

The R is amazing - I'm not cutting it down at all. But for what you want - the regular GT350 is a much better choice IMO.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I dont have a picture of the cars together, its not very easy to do this as I dont have enough space in my driveway to park all of them next to each other but I will try this and post a picture.

Regarding the back seats, I thought you could install back seats to R, did that change somehow in the last 2-3 years? I have to have the same utility so folding down back seats is a must have.

Also I m assuming if I want the new stereo and new CF interior trim, I am limited to 2020 only, is that correct?