FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
One reason I dont want a protune is I dont need all the HP on the table, and them requiring colder plugs (which I read needs intervals of 12k) replacement just lost all my interest. However upon reading last night I ran into Stage 3 option on the Cobb, which would fit me perfectly. I called and clarified, it uses stock plugs, imo it sounds like a FP tune with a bit more power.

They said they are pretty confident in safety, since it is OTS one fits all, they have power pulled back a bit to work with everyone in general with those mods.

My mods with ford performance
CPE CAI wet filter
CPE FMIC
CPE charge pipes
CPE cold side HKS bov kit
Ford performance catch can

I am interested in adding catted Downpipe (which Cobb stage 3 is tuned for) 200 cell high flow catted DP. How do you think the FP tune would feel vs Cobb stage 3 with DP? slight difference?

People say the Cobb stage 1 is basically FP tune, heres some dyno graphs and ford charts I use 93 octane anyway. One last question. Cobb stage 3 requires Turbo back exhaust. (Is mine considered turbo back)? If I use a CVFab 3.0 catted Downpipe, running into 2.5 inch Roush Y pipe, then stock 2.25 piping then goes into my 2.5 AWE touring axle back., is the 2.25 pipe going to be massively restrictive? or should be fine and still considered turbo back.

Ford perf link 91+ octane
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4

Cobb stage 93 octane (there's a 91 map too) he said, for when you cant find 93 octane.
https://www.cobbtuning.com/ford-mustang-ecoboost-stage-power-packages/
graph.jpg
graph-2.jpg
23CALDYNO.JPG
M-9603-M4_SPECS.JPG
Sponsored

Horcy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang eco boost, Zenki S14, Skyline R33 GTST
yeah you cant beat a pro tune to be honest its litrally day and night and if you let the tuner know what you want they will tylor it to suite. You can even flick between map slots on the fly, say summer vs winter maps or garage vs im sick of my wife and im going for a burn map.

The plugs take all of 10 mins to change in all honesty and cost next to fuck all and really are a serviceable item, i get around 20k out of mine so about year.

I found stage 3 on the Cobb v3 to unstable det was way to high even with all my supporting mods and more. I just let Ryan do his thing and its now the perfect balance of DD and sprited driving as and when I request it.

lostlocalhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 EBP PP MR
Vehicle Showcase
yeah you cant beat a pro tune to be honest its litrally day and night and if you let the tuner know what you want they will tylor it to suite. You can even flick between map slots on the fly, say summer vs winter maps or garage vs im sick of my wife and im going for a burn map.

The plugs take all of 10 mins to change in all honesty and cost next to fuck all and really are a serviceable item, i get around 20k out of mine so about year.

I found stage 3 on the Cobb v3 to unstable det was way to high even with all my supporting mods and more. I just let Ryan do his thing and its now the perfect balance of DD and sprited driving as and when I request it.

This...
It's worth the $150 or so for the protune. My request to Ryan was more power than Stg3 OTS, but nothing crazy as it's my daily driver so I need reliability. He delivered and I would do it again, easily.

"the plugs are too hard to replace" isn't a good reason to stick with an OTS tune, IMO. As hor said, they're cheap and easy to change.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It’s just a pain with my painted engine cover and strut bar. Gonna have to remove it everytime

Just did it.. got a Cobb unmarried, with center mount, extra blue faceplate he has grey on it, cords case etc for 315 on eBay, but I had to pay 20 in tax

So 335 for a brand new looking Cobb Unmarried w mounts and goodies. Not mad

Is winter and summer tune the same from Ryan? Reason I ask is FP is just year round tune. I’d imagine every tune is good year round

Is there any reason why I can’t just keep regapping the same ngk colder plugs myself every 10k?

Lol what do I need to gap them?

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
How many times can you regap it? That presses the piece together

How do you spread it, and check it?

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
mHeivBAclDerCrsynmyy4lBR84QJoReUMJq-uIg51XsNficpkxlHojGU0Q3iU8RrBWwUhwg=w794-h1058-no?authuser=0.jpg
My NGK 6510's came gapped at .035. I slowly and care fully closed the gap until I was at .028. There was one I had to open the gap a bit on and not going near the center electrode with small needle nose pliers opened the gap.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t want to touch the electrode at all really right? You grabbed the top metal piece with pliers and pulled up? I will prob buy some plugs

Can you keep re gapping them every 10k oil changes? I’d rather do that than buy new all the time

Horcy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang eco boost, Zenki S14, Skyline R33 GTST
It’s just a pain with my painted engine cover and strut bar. Gonna have to remove it everytime

Just did it.. got a Cobb unmarried, with center mount, extra blue faceplate he has grey on it, cords case etc for 315 on eBay, but I had to pay 20 in tax

So 335 for a brand new looking Cobb Unmarried w mounts and goodies. Not mad

Is winter and summer tune the same from Ryan? Reason I ask is FP is just year round tune. I’d imagine every tune is good year round

Is there any reason why I can’t just keep regapping the same ngk colder plugs myself every 10k?

Lol what do I need to gap them?
What do you mean winter and summer the same? They are different tunes.

You could re gap your plugs but seriously there dirt cheap I wouldn't bother just change them

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ford performance tune is workable all year

Sponsored
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Installing cvfab catted dp later, I bought a 2.5 ID to 3.0 ID stainless reducer, should mate right over both pipes and some strong clamps for them.

Debating on using the defouler or not. Part of me wants to just go to Cobb tunes and they shouldn’t trip cel lights that would be $34 bucks back

What’s the chance my ford performance tune wouldn’t trip a code without it?
AD3D361B-83B8-4FDF-961F-B5917E2A75AA.jpeg

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
It's not always the codes you need to worry about.
The sensors ready will be just as failable in an OBD2 inspection.
Use a short O2 spacer and you will be golden.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
We dont have emissions testing in my great state of ohio. well, I think Cleveland does. im just wanting car to run right, with no CEL., can Ryan or Adam shut off the codes via Cobb tune? or the stage 3 tune disable CEL from the pipe? id imagine so.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
The Ford Performance tune is the only off the shelf tune I would go for as Ford remains involved to some degree and can take care of things if you still have warranty concerns. Anything else and you'll be back asking questions like, "Why does my power delivery feel choppy? Why does my tune feel super torquey but horsepower completely dies after 5K? and "Why is my AccessPort showing 3 and 4 degrees of timing correction in cylinder X, can that be right?" Most canned tunes for this car suck, including Cobb's, and really only serve as baseline driveability maps until you can get a real tune from a private tuner.

Any tuner will tune you with stock plugs, not sure where you heard that. I'm actually on stock plugs at the moment. When these motors are tuned, the spark plugs don't have the same service interval other cars do. It likes to foul plugs prematurely anyways so its not a bad idea to swap them out from time to time, especially if you're planning on tuning it. It may seem like a PITA, but you'll get good and fast at it eventually. And yes, all private tuners will disable the CEL for the 02 sensor.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I spoke to Ryan about a tune on stock plugs, I dont even care if its weaker than its potential, id rock oem if it was safe tune for it.

I needed to know that info about O2 sensor, I can save 35 bucks by sending back that o2 defouler, if a CEL comes on, I guess that means it will go away when flashed, but I read 0420 CEL code has zero impact on your fuel and such, just says 'your cats bad'
Sponsored