Ford Dealers are Terrible

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
lol, are there actually Golf R's and GTI's that aren't modded? I just assumed that's the way they came. Seriously, though the actual VW tech brought that up when i took my modded Audi in. He was laughing about how modded the GTI's are that he sees.
Maybe? Some dealers are very anti-mod though. You have to find one willing to do warranty work on tuned cars. I was never TD1'd (corporate ecu flag for tuned cars = warranty deny) on my R.

My Audi actually has a TD1 sticker on the rear quarter windows that the dealer and my indy mechanic find hilarious.
Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
1. Can the average dealer tech tell you what's wrong? Besides, the competent people go to private shops, where you're better off going anyway.

2. You won't need discounts when the price is lower across the board. No dealer fees, no dealer markup, no commissioned sales, no playing games with "invoice cost". Dealerships also don't care about your loyalty. For every Mustang buyer, there's a dozen higher margin F150 buyers. You walk, they don't even notice it.

3. Again, I'm mostly addressing the sales model, not service. No reason Ford couldn't take over service centers (not that I'd go to them). I've had/have great relationships with people at private shops. Since you're going to a different company for service anyway, how is it a stretch to bring your business to a private shop? They have people working for them too.
This certainly may be your experience. But it is not what ALL experiences are like. "Dealerships don't care about your loyalty" is exactly the broad brush comment that is just not the case as a rule. My dealership DOES. Tesla is Tesla, so there IS no ability to compare what is, or is not a "great deal" whether it be the cost of entry, or the cost of service. They may "sell" you on the fact that there is no "dealer fees" or "dealer markup," but if you don't think Tesla makes a darn fine profit on you, I've got a bridge in Warren MI to sell you. Ford has the ability of scale that Tesla does not even come close to having. The closest Tesla Service Center to me is an hour. Then 1:30 in the opposite direction to another, then 2:30 in another direction to the other. They may be completely extinct in 10 years. Think Ford will be? No chance.

As to private shop? Not necessarily against it. If I've got a warranty repair it has to go through a Ford dealer. I'll probably do my own oil (boy is that a topic lol... thinking Amsoil 0W-20 light the torches!!), but brakes I'll probably take to my local guys. They do plenty of Camaro's, Vettes and V's, so I don't think the 6 piston Brembo's will be a problem for them. My concern with a private shop is if they do a repair and they somehow do jack the car up, Ford likely will not bail me out. Chevy may, or at least since they are a Big 3 dealer, I "may" stand a better chance. Not sure on that though. Anything complex, I'll probably go to who made the car, but who knows. I haven't been to my local Ford dealers around me yet, so I may get jaded as well.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Tesla was just an example of the direct sales model working. If you want another example, how about Carvana, etc.? And if you think your dealership actually cares about you, I've got a counter offer on a bridge up my way. First opened in 1883, so you know it was built to last :giggle:.

I didn’t realize people were so emotionally attached to their dealers that I'd hit such a nerve. You all can enjoy your service departments. I personally would never trust them, and never want to deal with a commissioned salesperson again. Especially since that sales job only exists because of a lobbying group buying legislation.
Chance are you work for a company or even own your own business where you make a profit or your company does. There is no shame in it. Politics is involved no matter what you do, or how high minded you think your company is. Someone's fingers are in your pie and an exception does not exist. It hasn't "hit a nerve" with me on a local dealership. I'm just saying you are painting with a broad brush and not all things are exactly the way you see it through your lens. I know if I had a problem with the way I was treated or my car was handled at my local dealer, they would bend over backwards to rectify it. That is real, despite your experiences. Small towns tend to appreciate the business they get, so maybe that is just part of what living in the sticks gets you.

Reactions: DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I didn’t realize people were so emotionally attached to their dealers that I'd hit such a nerve.
You're not hitting any nerves. Your point of view is simply limited by your own experience. As is mine; as is everyone's.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe? Some dealers are very anti-mod though. You have to find one willing to do warranty work on tuned cars. I was never TD1'd (corporate ecu flag for tuned cars = warranty deny) on my R.

My Audi actually has a TD1 sticker on the rear quarter windows that the dealer and my indy mechanic find hilarious.
Audi is pretty good on modded cars from what I hear. Mine was out of warranty so it didn't matter but posters on the Audi forum seemed to have good luck.

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
What does my work have anything to do with lobbying groups preventing direct car sales? Oh, wait it has nothing to do with it, you just want to build up a straw man argument.

You have not disclosed (at least to me) what you do for a living. So while you are plastering judgments on how "lobbyists" control the car dealership game, and all who work in that field, you are (I guess) saying your job isn't affected in any way. No straw man here. Tell me what you do and I'd bet I can tell you there is a lobbying group somewhere trying to help your company or field make money or get more advantages via Politicians. If not, I'll man up and admit it. I'll wait.

Everyone has to buy from a dealership. That's a shared experience I'm talking about. Everyone is paying more and playing bargaining games with a commissioned salesperson. That has nothing do do with me or you. It's not a "broad brush", it is a fact. Go to a dealership and ask to buy a car and ask to see their price. You WILL pay more than someone who does the dance and walks out, cross shops, and brings back competing offers.
Think so huh? Most car salesmen make diddly squat for commission on new car sales. They make their money buy selling a lot of cars and getting bonuses based on volume. But what do I know, I just sold cars for a living as my first job out of the Army. You? Again, you paint with a broad brush and I'm sorry to tell you not all dealerships "play games." Mine did not and I've been in sales and sales mgt. since 95. I know how to buy things. I laid out where I needed to be and that is where they got me PDQ. Did the F&I guy try to sell me an extended warranty? Sure, but I said no thanks and dat was dat. I got a great deal IMHO, I got treated fairly. I found my car that I traded in listing for 2K more than they gave me for it. Quite fair. Do people try to compete for your business and sometimes is a race to the bottom as someone is hungry enough to take a very low margin compared to others? Sure, but how is that any different than any other purchasing experience? Have you not heard "we'll beat your best offer" any other place than a car dealership?? A "S-A-L-E!!!!"

I tell people daily I can't sell something that cheap. I protect our brand. If someone comes and says I'll buy 500K worth next year if you sharpen your pencil, damn right I'm going to give them a better price. But they are giving me guaranteed volume in return and selling at a lower margin makes a crap ton of sense. It's not some insidious plot spurred on by evil lobbyists in DC. Is there political corruption? Damn straight. Are all car dealerships the same and evil by nature except Tesla?? No, that is not reality, it's just your lens, which is yours to have and just peachy! I'm just not taking it for fact, because that isn't what it is. Have a great weekend, I'm going to go drink some cold draft beer and chow some stuffed mushrooms at my local favorite bar/restaurant! They probably even make a profit on it...

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Think so huh? Most car salesmen make diddly squat for commission on new car sales. They make their money buy selling a lot of cars and getting bonuses based on volume. But what do I know, I just sold cars for a living as my first job out of the Army. You? Again, you paint with a broad brush and I'm sorry to tell you not all dealerships "play games." Mine did not and I've been in sales and sales mgt. since 95. I know how to buy things. I laid out where I needed to be and that is where they got me PDQ. Did the F&I guy try to sell me an extended warranty? Sure, but I said no thanks and dat was dat. I got a great deal IMHO, I got treated fairly. I found my car that I traded in listing for 2K more than they gave me for it. Quite fair. Do people try to compete for your business and sometimes is a race to the bottom as someone is hungry enough to take a very low margin compared to others? Sure, but how is that any different than any other purchasing experience? Have you not heard "we'll beat your best offer" any other place than a car dealership?? A "S-A-L-E!!!!"

I tell people daily I can't sell something that cheap. I protect our brand. If someone comes and says I'll buy 500K worth next year if you sharpen your pencil, damn right I'm going to give them a better price. But they are giving me guaranteed volume in return and selling at a lower margin makes a crap ton of sense. It's not some insidious plot spurred on by evil lobbyists in DC. Is there political corruption? Damn straight. Are all car dealerships the same and evil by nature except Tesla?? No, that is not reality, it's just your lens, which is yours to have and just peachy! I'm just not taking it for fact, because that isn't what it is. Have a great weekend, I'm going to go drink some cold draft beer and chow some stuffed mushrooms at my local favorite bar/restaurant! They probably even make a profit on it...
what kind of beer? coors? And stuffed mushrooms yuck!
And at least Bars are open in your area.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
3rdRGR is right. Most salesmen make more $$ on those "extended warranties", paint coatings and F&I than in the actual sale of the car.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
what kind of beer? coors? And stuffed mushrooms yuck!
And at least Bars are open in your area.
Unfortunately I'm below the Labatt's on tap line here in Southern Indiana, so Diet Bud draft is where I usually go these days. These aren't like deep fried mushrooms. These are stuffed with sausage, cheese and bacon and are freaking phenomenal.

Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That should have prompted a request to see the Manager of the Dealership. You’d have been riding in one of the two options the other dude didn’t take.
That wasnt the entire story. I did get the manager and he did apologize. I didnt end up needing the loaner because they got my tire switched out quickly enough.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
That's what really hurt about leaving BMW. Even had a loaner for an oil change if I didn't feel like waiting.

Whatever you do, get a decent dashcam.

I caught a local Ford dealer committing fraud. They said they put my car up on a lift and checked all these issues, blah, blah, blah. I get home and my dash cam video tells a completely different story. All they did was drive it around the block, never once had it on a lift, didn't inspect a single thing on it, other than a test drive. Of course they invoice Ford they put in on a lift, blah, blah, blah. That's fraud. I called up Ford corporate and complained; they don't give a shit, to put it bluntly.

I have to be honest I have gotten pretty good results with South Bay Ford in S. Cali. However, they will never be a BMW/Porsche or other luxury dealerships especially in a large city. Before my 2020 PP1 car I owned 4 M3s, 2 328s and an X3. When you brought your car to the dealer they did a full walk around and checked down the sides for dings and scratches and wrote down every imperfection as they knew the hell that would be brought down to them if they damaged the car. I remember getting BMW X6Ms for loaners, had an M5 once. Yea there is a reason why luxury brands hold on to their clients.
Sponsored