10R80 Manual Mode from Stop

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I've noticed a little nuisance when autocrossing, and wondered if anyone has a better solution. From the starting line, in track and manual (S) mode, I cannot get a feel for when it's going to let me shift into 2nd with one click of the paddle or not. My current solution has been to sit there and flip back and forth between 1 and 2, watching to make sure it goes back and forth, until I get the go-ahead. Sometimes, it seems like it will give me the ability to shift into 2nd no matter how long I sit there and other times it almost seems like just going into 1st gear at a slow roll will take my ability to do so away. Anyway, any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed a little nuisance when autocrossing, and wondered if anyone has a better solution. From the starting line, in track and manual (S) mode, I cannot get a feel for when it's going to let me shift into 2nd with one click of the paddle or not. My current solution has been to sit there and flip back and forth between 1 and 2, watching to make sure it goes back and forth, until I get the go-ahead. Sometimes, it seems like it will give me the ability to shift into 2nd no matter how long I sit there and other times it almost seems like just going into 1st gear at a slow roll will take my ability to do so away. Anyway, any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Are you asking if you start in 2nd or are you asking when the transmission will allow you to shift to 2nd? Bit confused.

I can start from a stop in second when I'm in S mode. I can shift to second but there is sometimes there was hesitation at lower RPM's with the stock tune. Now that I'm tuned, there is no hesitation but sometimes it gives me a bit of a jolt. I think that is what the stock tune was trying to prevent by hesitating.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Are you asking if you start in 2nd or are you asking when the transmission will allow you to shift to 2nd? Bit confused.

I can start from a stop in second when I'm in S mode. I can shift to second but there is sometimes there was hesitation at lower RPM's with the stock tune. Now that I'm tuned, there is no hesitation but sometimes it gives me a bit of a jolt. I think that is what the stock tune was trying to prevent by hesitating.
Sorry, I see now how that was rambling/confusing. I want to know if there is a way to make sure the car will let me shift into 2nd gear with one flip of the paddle, 100% of the time, from a dead stop. It usually (but not always) requires me to hit the shifter paddle once, which makes the paddles on the screen flash, then again to actually change gears. That caused me to bounce off the rev limiter a few times in autocross, but also caused me to go 1st to 3rd gear once because I assumed (incorrectly) that I would have to hit the paddle twice to "activate" manual mode and then go into 2nd. My current "fix" is to shift 1-2-1-2-1, and so on, until the person at the starting gate tells me I can go. At that point, I just make sure I am in 1st.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I've never had a problem shifting to 2nd when starting in 1st in manual mode in many autocross starts. Ditto when starting in 2nd and then shifting to 3rd. I don't recall ever having trouble getting the car into 2nd gear on the first paddle pull.

However, when learning to shift my car prior to a Pro Solo a co-driver did have trouble until I noticed his finger tips were "pulling" at the paddle hinge instead of the end of the paddle. Basically he wrapped his fingers too far towards the steering column.

Note that I quickly learned that a turn immediately after the start line makes it likely that 1st gear will rev limit in the turn or at least before there is a chance to go to full throttle. In those situations I start in 2nd.

If you intend to start in 2nd and move significantly in 2nd to get to the start line the trans may automatically downshift to 1st when you stop at the start line. Therefore I always verify that it is still in 2nd.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
If you are at a total dead stop you can start off in 2nd gear, but if you are rolling you need to be going like 4-5 mph to get into 2nd I think, which doesnt really make sense to me but I kind of got used to it. I think if you start off in 2nd then start rolling then stop or slow down below like 4 mph again it will go back into first. Not sure if tuners can change this. Just stay in first until right before you start if you want to start in 2nd..

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I figured it out, guys. I had the extremely harsh shift issue with my car so when not at the track (driving gently around town, testing this in a parking lot) I was shifting just below 1500rpm to avoid the whiplash of the shift into 2nd. I realized this once the dealership fixed the issue for me. Now it rolls into 2nd as smooth as can be at any rpm. When I realized I wasn't having the issue anymore, I started diagnosing to figure out what changed and it hit me that I was letting the revs climb more before shifting because it functions properly not.

TLDR, it will only go into 2nd from a dead stop or from a roll when over 1500rpm.
Sponsored