Sponsored

Dashcam

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
I'm getting ready to hardwire a dashcam (Blackvue 900s) in my 2017 GT350. What fuses should I use to tap into?

Would these work?
  • I need a Switched/ACC powered fuse (#23= Switches, Power Windows, Rear-view mirror) for normal operation
  • I need a Constant Powered fuse (#24 = Central lock unlock) for parking mode.
Anyone done this install?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I used 2 and 23 for my dash cam.

OP
OP
pjk

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
Do you need the constant power if you don't plan on using parking mode?

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
if you're not going to use "parking mode", ie: not going to have the camera operate while the vehicle is off. then no, you wont need to tap into a constant power. you, unless want a neater/cleaner install, wont even have to tap into a fuse at all. i think pretty much all cameras come with, at the very least, a cig lighter power adapter.

if all you want is to start your car, have your camera record your drive, then shutdown when you turn your car off, just use the cig lighter power adapter. keep in mind the mustang power point timeout is 45min? 30min? so, the camera might not shut off EXACTLY as you power the car off, but it will shortly after.

i also believe the power point timeout is somewhat variable, in that the BMS will adjust the actual length of time the port has power, depending on the condition of your battery

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, but you to have deal with the dangling power adapter cord. Some people don't mind it and it makes for a simple install. Hard wiring is a stealthier look, most people won't notice your cam, including passengers. If you decide to hard wire you will likely need to buy a hard wire kit, most dash cams only come with a power adapter. Hard wiring to the fuse box is not difficult but does take time.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Nope, but you to have deal with the dangling power adapter cord. Some people don't mind it and it makes for a simple install. Hard wiring is a stealthier look, most people won't notice your cam, including passengers. If you decide to hard wire you will likely need to buy a hard wire kit, most dash cams only come with a power adapter. Hard wiring to the fuse box is not difficult but does take time.
I bought a Thinkware FA200 with hardwiring kit. The cigarette adapter was an extra $40 that I didn't spring for. I bought an ATR type fuse tap from autozone and crimped it to the yellow acc power cable via butt splice. I've installed the ground wire to the closest bolt i could find in the footwell. I found a 10A fuse that comes on with the ignition, its the bottom right fuse. I haven't been able to get the dashcam to turn on, i've tried removing the sd card and it still won't turn on. I'm thinking that maybe the unit is defective/broken.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a Thinkware FA200 with hardwiring kit. The cigarette adapter was an extra $40 that I didn't spring for. I bought an ATR type fuse tap from autozone and crimped it to the yellow acc power cable via butt splice. I've installed the ground wire to the closest bolt i could find in the footwell. I found a 10A fuse that comes on with the ignition, its the bottom right fuse. I haven't been able to get the dashcam to turn on, i've tried removing the sd card and it still won't turn on. I'm thinking that maybe the unit is defective/broken.
Is the bolt you used for the ground on the firewall? Does it have a large washer attached to the nut and the bolt goes thru a black plastic piece? If so I used that same bolt because because it was easy to get to. My camera would lose power intermittently, turns out that firewall bolt is not a good ground. I moved the ground to a bolt/stud under the dash below the glove box, - you will need a M6 nut to secure the ground wire to that stud/bolt. That fixed my ground issue. I found that info in this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/alteate-ground-under-glove-box-area.52955/

There's another bolt nearer the fuse box but it's a major PITA to get to.

Last edited:

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Is the bolt you used for the ground on the firewall? Does it have a large washer attached to the nut and the bolt goes thru a black plastic piece? If so I used that same bolt because because it was easy to get to. My camera would lose power intermittently, turns out that firewall bolt is not a good ground. I moved the ground to a bolt/stud under the dash below the glove box, - you will need a M6 nut to secure the ground wire to that stud/bolt. That fixed my ground issue. I found that info in this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/alteate-ground-under-glove-box-area.52955/

There's another bolt nearer the fuse box but it's a major PITA to get to.
Of course I took the bait and went after the easy to access bolt. I'll look around some more for this other bolt. If my local autoparts store could hurry up and stock an ATR type fuse tap that would help speed this up.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many have tried using that same bolt for the same reason, me included. I found a nut that fit that stud in a jar assorted of nuts and bolts I keep around for just this purpose. Good luck, that is probably your issue.
Sponsored