mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
For me it was the lack of space and time. My dealership has a technician that works on every mustang that goes through there. I've met him, we've had a few conversations, and I trust him enough to do that kind of work. The evap core has been the only thing I haven't done myself. I'll roll 100k in the next few months.
Thats impressive 100k in five years. Other than the evaporator core have you encountered any other note worthy issues.

I'm not even close to thinking of letting my Mustang out of my ownership.

What I have broke has presented the opportunity for upgrades.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Thats impressive 100k in five years. Other than the evaporator core have you encountered any other note worthy issues.

I'm not even close to thinking of letting my Mustang out of my ownership.

What I have broke has presented the opportunity for upgrades.
The only big issue has been the valve cover leaking (covered under powertrain warranty).
My rear window leaked when I bought the car, but that was repaired with less than 1,000 miles.

I've replaced the shocks, struts, and spark plugs. I have new belts to put on when I get time. I have the alignment checked about once per year. I'm on my 3rd set of tires.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So with the MT82 transmission class action lawsuit having been recently filed, I thought I'd bump this old thread and ask if anyone might have heard anything about a similar possible class action suit on the faulty A/C evaporator? I wonder if anyone might have talked with lawyers about it. It only takes 2 claimants to be a "class" action.

Thanks!

louierg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louie
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary Limited Edition #1897
As a loyal Mustang owner, I have tolerated manufacturing short comings for a long time. Thru the years as Ford has produced each generation there were inherent problems with each series, the problems mainly easy to fix or tolerate.

My gripe is with the 2015 and 2016 Mustangs. Ford knows there is a manufacturer defect in the A/C Evaporator behind the dash, and if your like many owners, our Mustangs are weekend warriors. That being said, it take quite a while to clock real mileage on the odometer. So at four years old and 18,000, my A/C system went out. The repair estimate is upwards of $3,000.00. Being out of warranty, I have no other recourse but to get it fixed at my expense. Now I am able to make
the repairs myself at around a $1,000.00 in parts, but I shouldn't need to with only 18,000 miles.

I am curious how many other owners have faced this issue, whether under warranty or out of pocket.

I completely understand if it were a performance part damaged from aduse, but were are looking at life of the vehicle parts failure, that can get pretty expensive to repair.

Based on the feedback, it will be the basis to contact Ford to try and get a resolution to the issue. If Ford won't help, then I am willing to go thru the due diligence and push the issue. As loyal Ford customers we should not have to pay the price for a manufacturing defect.

Your support might get this fixed, because if you haven't experienced the problem yet, wait for the bill when you are out of warranty. 18,000 miles really.
20190629_164538.jpg
It would be good for Ford to recognize how many low mileage cars they have produced that have the evap problem. Ford knows exactly what the problem is. They can't be that ignorant given who they are. That said I have #1897 and at 20000 miles out of warranty my evap went out. Dealer behaved as if was odd and unknown. Ford like the other big three don't reconcile lost sales in the US. Their focus is china and elsewhere.

Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
2 years ago my evaporator died ford gave it in warranty. Yesterday the compressor died.
The car has been great but the AC has failed car only has 14,500miles its a GT.

OP
OP
mustangguy88

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
There are two groups of Mustang owners out there. One group bought there cars and use them as daily drivers, the others got them as weekend toys. The majority were daily drivers and as such were covered by warranty. The number of us affected out of warranty is still pretty large, but not large enough for Ford to worry about, because when affected out of warranty a large percentage just traded in and got something else. Watered down those of us who are affected the hardest absorb the cost of repair.

Ford is aware of our ability to repair our own cars so they offer the new parts on Ebay at a serious discount, with extended part and labor warranties.

Ford playing the numbers, do not see us as a strong enough threat to pay attention to.

It's sad the number of short comings that are baked into the cars, but they are easily fixed and we put up with it. Now a more costly repair is surfacing that affects a lot of owners out of warranty and Ford will have to address the issue. If there were this same reaction early on with the A/C systems, maybe there would have been a better response from Ford.

Just my rant, I have made full repairs at my expense, and in my garage. When you spend this kind of money on a car it's hard to get rid of it over the issue if you can do your repairs.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
There are two groups of Mustang owners out there. One group bought there cars and use them as daily drivers, the others got them as weekend toys. The majority were daily drivers and as such were covered by warranty. The number of us affected out of warranty is still pretty large, but not large enough for Ford to worry about, because when affected out of warranty a large percentage just traded in and got something else. Watered down those of us who are affected the hardest absorb the cost of repair.

Ford is aware of our ability to repair our own cars so they offer the new parts on Ebay at a serious discount, with extended part and labor warranties.

Ford playing the numbers, do not see us as a strong enough threat to pay attention to.

It's sad the number of short comings that are baked into the cars, but they are easily fixed and we put up with it. Now a more costly repair is surfacing that affects a lot of owners out of warranty and Ford will have to address the issue. If there were this same reaction early on with the A/C systems, maybe there would have been a better response from Ford.

Just my rant, I have made full repairs at my expense, and in my garage. When you spend this kind of money on a car it's hard to get rid of it over the issue if you can do your repairs.

Your right i bought the compressor from ford in ebay it as much cheaper then anywhere else.

OP
OP
mustangguy88

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
2 years ago my evaporator died ford gave it in warranty. Yesterday the compressor died.
The car has been great but the AC has failed car only has 14,500miles its a GT.
I ended up installing a full A/C system, evaporator, condenser, drier, compressor, at the same time with 18,000 miles on the car. It was a PITA to do.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up installing a full A/C system, evaporator, condenser, drier, compressor, at the same time with 18,000 miles on the car. It was a PITA to do.
how much was the parts? labor aside.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mustangguy88

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you are doing the compressor due to bearing failure you should consider replacing the condenser as well because of contamination.

All the parts total ran about $700.00 that includes the following mostly on Ebay.

Evaporator Core
Condenser
Compressor
Drier Filter
Expansion Valve
Blend Door Actuators (Dealership buy)

OP
OP
mustangguy88

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
At least you have skills to do it i couldnt do that.
Will have to pay for it.
If you can do general maintenance, read thru the repair procedures I posted to this thread. The job may not be as bad as it looks.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Were there any symptoms prior to the compressor going out?

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@Shifting_Gears

Mine shot fog out the vents, then the driver side went warm, now my passenger side only blows cold for 10 mins.
Sponsored