Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
Okay I found out that there are 4 different rack and pinions for our mustangs. Even though Ford goes by your Vin# there are racks that goes by your wheel (rim) 17in to 20in. I spoke with Ford performance they said if you upgraded to a bigger wheel you should use the rack and pinion that is listed for that new size. Supposedly for better handling and turning radius.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I suspect that both rack travel and EPAS calibrations are involved. Ford was mechanically limiting rack travel in the S197's based on wheel size, and Ford's production EPAS has included compensations for pull-drift and nibble.

Norm

OrangeCrush5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Before I spend over $1000 are you 100% certain the other racks would be able to be programmed to my car?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

OrangeCrush5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

I researched before I posted and read through those already. The only thing I saw about programming was the guy in Europe who couldn’t find anyone capable of programming it and he had to buy a new rack. I called 3 dealers and couldn’t get a straight answer. I asked on Buyautoparts.com because they said the racks were interchangeable and they sent me an email saying they answered my question but they deleted it instead.

Do you happen to know any other people or places I could call?

On a side note, BuyAutoParts.com has the cheapest OEM racks I could find. I’ve never bought anything from them though.

OrangeCrush5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I just spoke with a tech at Porcaro Ford. He said the racks are programmed with different parameters and all you do is enter a vin. He said you can try to trick it but then you might run into issues falling outside of parameters.

Have you seen a chart anywhere that lists the differences in parameters?
Sponsored