Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I am still curious for whoever will do a dyno for the Stock Airbox / Throttle Body with FP Tune? might be better possible to less heat soak?
IM not sure that would work. The kit comes with a different MAF installed and im assuming that the tune is for it and that the MAF is for the increased 87mm opening. Not an expert by any means but IM not sure the tune would work with the old setup as its made for increased airflow that the new parts allow.
Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
IM not sure that would work. The kit comes with a different MAF installed and im assuming that the tune is for it and that the MAF is for the increased 87mm opening. Not an expert by any means but IM not sure the tune would work with the old setup as its made for increased airflow that the new parts allow.
if you look earlier in this thread at Post #447, someone went this route and seems to be doing well, he trimmed the area more to fit on 87mm.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I didnt dyno after the power pack install. But I do feel a difference in my butt dyno. One thing I noticed right after install, I drove and nothing really changed, or it didnt feel like it did, but after a week of driving and getting used to it, I could tell the difference. I have a manual. It seems I had to feel out the car and learn it. But in 2nd gear there is a very good improvement. I dont know how the A10 reacts. For me the kit is fine. I also have suspension mods, tires,.lockout kit etc. So maybe just able to put it down real good where I can actually feel the difference.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
if you look earlier in this thread at Post #447, someone went this route and seems to be doing well, he trimmed the area more to fit on 87mm.
LOL yeah I saw his posts before and they made no sense to me. why would you spend this money on a kit and then not use the parts? Whats the point of the bigger throttle body if your still puling air through a restricted oem box? His original post was he was doing all that he did because the kits air box was to much trouble to install? heck he made it way more complicated LOL and had to buy parts. I dont understand his logic to be honest. but yeah I would be curious to see what his does :)

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I didnt dyno after the power pack install. But I do feel a difference in my butt dyno. One thing I noticed right after install, I drove and nothing really changed, or it didnt feel like it did, but after a week of driving and getting used to it, I could tell the difference. I have a manual. It seems I had to feel out the car and learn it. But in 2nd gear there is a very good improvement. I dont know how the A10 reacts. For me the kit is fine. I also have suspension mods, tires,.lockout kit etc. So maybe just able to put it down real good where I can actually feel the difference.
I think this nails it and im hoping for same. by itself its rather meh.. but if you have other mods... IM after the 4.09 gear and im hoping that makes it all worth it. :)

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
still puling air through a restricted oem box?
I'd agree with most of your statements except this piece. 18+ OEM cai flows quite well, keeps iats down and offers smooth maf curve.

But that said if going with the kit use it all or return it would make more sense? Though not sure they would allow it but he could make the argument he could not install it lol.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think this nails it and im hoping for same. by itself its rather meh.. but if you have other mods... IM after the 4.09 gear and im hoping that makes it all worth it. :)
Cool. I am sure it will make a huge difference as well. I am thinking moving up to 3.73. I have 3.55 gear right now. We can change in calibration.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'd agree with most of your statements except this piece. 18+ OEM cai flows quite well, keeps iats down and offers smooth maf curve.

But that said if going with the kit use it all or return it would make more sense? Though not sure they would allow it but he could make the argument he could not install it lol.
A smooth MAF curve when the stock MAF is paired with the stock set up, which it's calibrated for. Change it up and that MAF curve ain't so smooth. I've read some guys saying that just removing the carbon filter can throw it off.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Briesbee72,

I appreciate your comments on my logic making no sense when I elected to use my stock air filter set up. Maybe you need to go back and re-read what I posted and why.

First, as I pointed out, the FRPP box did not fit, period. Poorly made, and had gaps that would allow for hot air to enter. So much for an improved CAI.

There is a thread where others have tried multiple CAI's and went back to the stock 18 box. The stock box worked better and made more HP since it does indeed draw in cooler air. Ironically the inlet snorkels on the FRPP CAI and the stock box are the same size.

I removed the "step" down on my stock rubber inlet to throttle body connection so it matches the 87 mm TB very well. IAT's are ideal with the stock box, my car runs very well and I don't care to dick with FRPP on returning a faulty air box and wait while my car sits idle for who knows how long.

It's my car, so I do what works for me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
I had a little bit of a hard time attaching vacuum hoses and TB tube, but not impossible. WRT IATs, its 55deg today and IAT was only <5deg higher. Could be worse when outdoor temps get higher. Again based on Butt dyno, car has more ompf down low. I have a PP1, A10, prem and normally run Track Mode. It was bad before, but now when you hit the go pedal, you better have clear road ahead and hold on. Not sure about 6/7 shift since that speed requires nice secluded road.

On my way home, an opportunity came up to give it a little gas. The 6/7 shift went to redline. Could only get about 3/4 throttle though because of double digit speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Blue is baseline dyno run. Red is after kit install and tune. I was pleased with the baseline dyno numbers but very very very underwhelmed with post kit and tune install numbers. Am I reading this graph wrong? lol.
Joshua White overlay STD5.png
Wow! That is actually kind of sad to see. I'm sorry about that.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Briesbee72,

I appreciate your comments on my logic making no sense when I elected to use my stock air filter set up. Maybe you need to go back and re-read what I posted and why.

First, as I pointed out, the FRPP box did not fit, period. Poorly made, and had gaps that would allow for hot air to enter. So much for an improved CAI.

There is a thread where others have tried multiple CAI's and went back to the stock 18 box. The stock box worked better and made more HP since it does indeed draw in cooler air. Ironically the inlet snorkels on the FRPP CAI and the stock box are the same size.

I removed the "step" down on my stock rubber inlet to throttle body connection so it matches the 87 mm TB very well. IAT's are ideal with the stock box, my car runs very well and I don't care to dick with FRPP on returning a faulty air box and wait while my car sits idle for who knows how long.

It's my car, so I do what works for me.
My apologies if you took my comment as an insult as it was only meant that it made no sense to me cause i didn't understand why you did it.

I have seen where some have said their boxes dont fit. I find this strange as I had zero issues getting mine to fit and im fairly sure these are all made off the same molds so wouldn't see how they are different. IM not saying im right or wrong and IM not syaing you are either but I would think part of the gains from the kit would be from using their air box. its bigger and allows more air. The volume of air is just as important as the temp. the reason the throttle body is bigger is for the volume and you kept the smaller diameter oem piping. just seems counterproductive. Not to mention the box it the most expensive biggest part of the kit seems a waste not to use it. Makes no sense that the old oem box makes more HP as you claim then why even include a new cai in the first place?

My temps are 5 over ambient with the new set up. and i have had two issues with my setup and FP was excellent with working with me they over nighted the parts and didn't even question me. Why let a expensive part just sit out of pride? email them and get a new one. its just sitting there anyway right? The cars running now? so you won't have any down time.

Again not trying to be insulting sorry if it comes off that way. I just mean why not get and use what you paid for. I wouldn't just except a faulty box.

And you are absolutely right it is your car and your money Im just having a conversation :)

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My IATs with the upgraded CAI are actually good as well. Either same or better than stock. I was driving yesterday in ~98° weather (San Antonio) my temps were about 104° driving and about 108-110° at idle. This is about same as stock if I remember correctly last summer. But I also remember stock reaching about 114° at idle during summer.. so pretty comparable even though the CAI is open. It must have a pretty good seal under the hood and yes I have a minor gap on drivers side front hood. When I didnt recieve the air inlet part for the CAI I drove without it, and AIT hit up to 140° at idle during cooler weather at night. I posted about that before. So the upgraded CAI is doing a pretty good job with temps.
Sponsored