Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Whipple Customer Service is Five Star in my book.

Did you have an actual problem with driveability, and they solved it? Or did you have a minor issue, like a bolt missing from your kit, or a question about installation?

The main focus of this thread is that a known driveability issue has still not been resolved and Whipple isn't taking care of that. Customers end up paying for different tunes.

But speaking of customer service, I'm here posting because they won't respond to my emails unless I call several times, they won't return my phone calls when I'm told to leave a message, and when I asked to speak with the sales manager I was told that he was "on the phone long distance, overseas, and it's going to be a while."

Whipple, if watching, feel free to get back to me...
Sponsored

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If it runs fine cold (open loop) and starts having problems only after it warms up (closed loop) there is a tune or information problem has it always been like this? Was any work done before it started? Any chance you spiked the pcm like welding anything on the car or jumpstarts out or in. Anything like that

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I have a 2017 Mustang Gt Auto with a stage 2 kit with the Whipple Tune and my car drives just like factory stock. I have been to the track and went 10.80ET 132MPH with pump gas with a little Boostane.My only contact with Whipple is to ask a question on how to retrieve my Ford Stocks Tune if I ever want to download a Lund After Market Tune and they called me back the following day after leaving a message and explained to me how to do it.They were great and patient with me.

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a 2017 Mustang Gt Auto with a stage 2 kit with the Whipple Tune and my car drives just like factory stock. I have been to the track and went 10.80ET 132MPH with pump gas with a little Boostane.My only contact with Whipple is to ask a question on how to retrieve my Ford Stocks Tune if I ever want to download a Lund After Market Tune and they called me back the following day after leaving a message and explained to me how to do it.They were great and patient with me.
Thanks for the reply.
Glad they were helpful... with your easily answered question. But, you didn't actually have a problem, just a question.

Sponsored

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Unfortunately, even two years later, the problem seems to persists across multiple Ford platforms including Mustang, GT350, F150, and Raptor. Whipple NEVER seems able to fix this, and there are people in this thread who have resolved the drive ability issue with a 3rd party tune. So, I would argue that you are not "safe to order."
I'm sorry you feel that way. I can 100% agree, no calibration is perfect, even stock, which has teams of people, years of testing, every possible advantage still have lots of issues. So much so, they issue updates all the time. The 2018+ Mustang/F150 has an update every 30 days since its release. Since our cals are 50-state legal, we have to sometimes do things differently then others which can potentially create calibration challenges. Your statement, we have problems on all platforms is extremely inaccurate. Were constantly evolving and continuing to strive to make our systems better and better, something I think we've done very well. If we can't get the vehicle here at our facility, we can only go off the logs we get and explanation from customers. We do our best to fix any issues that are within our scope. Our cals are 50-state legal, safe for long term use. To say we have never fix a problem is simply not true.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry you feel that way. I can 100% agree, no calibration is perfect, even stock, which has teams of people, years of testing, every possible advantage still have lots of issues. So much so, they issue updates all the time. The 2018+ Mustang/F150 has an update every 30 days since its release. Since our cals are 50-state legal, we have to sometimes do things differently then others which can potentially create calibration challenges. Your statement, we have problems on all platforms is extremely inaccurate. Were constantly evolving and continuing to strive to make our systems better and better, something I think we've done very well. If we can't get the vehicle here at our facility, we can only go off the logs we get and explanation from customers. We do our best to fix any issues that are within our scope. Our cals are 50-state legal, safe for long term use. To say we have never fix a problem is simply not true.

Have you ever fixed the problem with the rear differential temperature? My car still thinks the fluid is -27 degrees on start up on a 50 degree day. If I am lucky it will say that the temperature is 0 in the middle of the summer after a two hour drive!

I have been trying to get you to fix this for over two years.

Thanks
Jack

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Thanks for the reply.
Glad they were helpful... with your easily answered question. But, you didn't actually have a problem, just a question.
He doesn't have a problem, we don't have to fix his issue.
Have you ever fixed the problem with the rear differential temperature? My car still thinks the fluid is -27 degrees on start up on a 50 degree day. If I am lucky it will say that the temperature is 0 in the middle of the summer after a two hour drive!

I have been trying to get you to fix this for over two years.

Thanks
Jack
No, it has not. The temp is a non-crtical sensor and has no calibration based issues related to it. We write our own software and their is an issue with it in the software, not in the calibration and it doesn't properly populate the axle temp. We've tried to fix it multiple times and each time we've had a software issue. It's something that is actively being looked at and we hope to release a new update in a few weeks.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Did you have an actual problem with driveability, and they solved it? Or did you have a minor issue, like a bolt missing from your kit, or a question about installation?

The main focus of this thread is that a known driveability issue has still not been resolved and Whipple isn't taking care of that. Customers end up paying for different tunes.

But speaking of customer service, I'm here posting because they won't respond to my emails unless I call several times, they won't return my phone calls when I'm told to leave a message, and when I asked to speak with the sales manager I was told that he was "on the phone long distance, overseas, and it's going to be a while."

Whipple, if watching, feel free to get back to me...
We have gone to email based support, we've said this many times, we also have a link on our site to make this simple. You were told the manager was on the phone? Is that an actual complaint? Were all on the phones most of the day. We've been in business 32 years, we ship out thousands upon thousands of kits per year, multiply that by 32 years. We can't call and spend 30 minutes on the phone with each customer, we tried, use to do it well but it became unfeasible, its simply impossible to find enough tech support personal to do this efficiently. We as a group can do far more via our ticket system. If you have a ticket, staying on the ticket allows multiple techs to chime in, help, transfer, review, etc. I personally review and answer a significant number of the tickets late at night. If I was on the phone, with all the other items going on during my day, I wouldn't have been able to address it properly. We're not a custom tune shop, we don't custom tune. If we see an on-going issue that we can resolve without modifying emission based parameters, we will do so in a production manner. Any fix that has helped others, has been applied to production. The hardest part is identifying the problem without the vehicle, we have to rely on the customer giving us unbiased, factual info then tie that to the data logs. If we can't get the data correctly, we can't fix the potential issue. Most of the time, the variance is a mechanical variance or install based issue, which is even harder to diagnose. If its cal based, and we can apply to production, it takes up to 30 days to do the production update as the cal updating process is extremely cumbersome. But again, stating we don't fix issues is 100% absolutely not accurate. Even during this virus, were still answering all request, handling every issue to the best of our ability.

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If it runs fine cold (open loop) and starts having problems only after it warms up (closed loop) there is a tune or information problem has it always been like this? Was any work done before it started? Any chance you spiked the pcm like welding anything on the car or jumpstarts out or in. Anything like that

Had the bucking iss
We have gone to email based support, we've said this many times, we also have a link on our site to make this simple. You were told the manager was on the phone? Is that an actual complaint? Were all on the phones most of the day. We've been in business 32 years, we ship out thousands upon thousands of kits per year, multiply that by 32 years. We can't call and spend 30 minutes on the phone with each customer, we tried, use to do it well but it became unfeasible, its simply impossible to find enough tech support personal to do this efficiently. We as a group can do far more via our ticket system. If you have a ticket, staying on the ticket allows multiple techs to chime in, help, transfer, review, etc. I personally review and answer a significant number of the tickets late at night. If I was on the phone, with all the other items going on during my day, I wouldn't have been able to address it properly. We're not a custom tune shop, we don't custom tune. If we see an on-going issue that we can resolve without modifying emission based parameters, we will do so in a production manner. Any fix that has helped others, has been applied to production. The hardest part is identifying the problem without the vehicle, we have to rely on the customer giving us unbiased, factual info then tie that to the data logs. If we can't get the data correctly, we can't fix the potential issue. Most of the time, the variance is a mechanical variance or install based issue, which is even harder to diagnose. If its cal based, and we can apply to production, it takes up to 30 days to do the production update as the cal updating process is extremely cumbersome. But again, stating we don't fix issues is 100% absolutely not accurate. Even during this virus, were still answering all request, handling every issue to the best of our ability.
OK, well first, no, I'm not complaining that I was told someone was on the phone, I am complaining because I am being ignored and stonewalled by your staff, except for here. Nice to know you are paying attention now. If you're on the phone most of the day, call me. I'm near a phone most of the day.

I tried to PM you so we could take this to a private conversation. But since you want to keep it going in public, that's OK.

If you have such a huge issue with insufficient tech support, I think that says something about the number of problems you have to deal with. Also, if you are that bogged down, maybe you should be checking tickets instead of spending so much time trying to make it look like you have fixed any of the problems that customers on this thread have complained about.

You are admitting that you can't keep up with tech support. Maybe after 32 years, your customer service just isn't that great anymore?

I have tried using your email system, but it's no good when nobody ever gets back the customer. Again, you have my contact info. Give me a call. I'll gladly update this post with praise.

Next, I didn't say you don't fix issues, I said, and I quote, "Whipple NEVER seems able to fix this, and there are people in this thread who have resolved the driveability issue with a 3rd party tune." I used the word, "seems" in case I'm incorrect, but I don't think I am.

You are saying I am absolutely 100% incorrect? That means you have fixed 100% of all customer complaints? Can you find one person on this thread that will confirm that you were able to fix the bucking/surging issue? One? Send them my way so I can get the fix from them.

I have reached out to 4 of the people on this thread alone and asked specifically if Whipple fixed their issue. One responded saying, no, and that he modified the tune with an HPtuners device, two said no, and that once the Palm Beach tune was installed the car ran perfectly, and one never responded.

If the problem was "mechanical" I would imagine that a simple Palm Beach tune wouldn't fix the problem. This is a KNOWN issue. BY POSTING ON THIS FORUM, YOU HAVE PROVEN THAT YOU HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS FOR YEARS!

If your kits are so problem-free, and I'm the only one complaining, then why didn't you just pick up the phone and try to resolve it, you know, like by doing something. How about sending me a call tag so I can ship the blower back and you can double check the bypass valve. Or something. Anything?

I don't need to hear about all the problem-free kits you ship. My kit is not problem-free. I want to hear how you are going to help me fix my problem now that you have my money.

Instead of replying to this thread, pick up the phone and call me. I'm waiting. If you've got time to write, you've got time to call...

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I’ve used their email-based system and found them very responsive and helpful. Support was one of the clinchers for me for Whipple and they haven’t let me down.

It’s too bad Whipple_sc is so busy these days. Up through mid-last year he’d post a lot and I learned a lot about supercharging coyotes.

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I’ve used their email-based system and found them very responsive and helpful. Support was one of the clinchers for me for Whipple and they haven’t let me down.

It’s too bad Whipple_sc is so busy these days. Up through mid-last year he’d post a lot and I learned a lot about supercharging coyotes.
Glad they were able to help. Again, did you have a driveability issue, broken part, or just a question for them?

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Whipple is one of the best vendors I have ever dealt with and my 2017 mustang gt with the Whipple Stage 2 Kit and the Whipple Tune is 100% perfect.I have been told that a after market tune would pick up a few extra HP but I want my mustang to drive like factory stock.My wife has even driven my car to work a few times on dry days here in Oregon.LOL

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
He doesn't have a problem, we don't have to fix his issue.

No, it has not. The temp is a non-crtical sensor and has no calibration based issues related to it. We write our own software and their is an issue with it in the software, not in the calibration and it doesn't properly populate the axle temp. We've tried to fix it multiple times and each time we've had a software issue. It's something that is actively being looked at and we hope to release a new update in a few weeks.
please let me know when you have a fix for this.
Thanks
Jack

Problem5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I had the same problem after a motor replacement and all it needed was the 2 connectors in the back of the whipple to
be swapped...this could be the issue for anyone who has just installed a whipple or had it take it off temporary for some reason.
Sponsored