Sponsored

GTPP2 vs GT350 Caranddriver

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
They did have the handling package with camber plate adjusted for the GT350. Not saying it would of been tied, but I’m sure it helped a bit where as the PP2 doesn’t have that option.
Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Same. I've kinda sorta thought the PP2 had some legitimate chops against the 350 in performance per dollar. But 2 seconds on a 2.2 mile track is an eternity. In a 20 minute session, that's 13 - 14 seconds behind. For perspective that at least I can understand because it's my home track, that's the whole front straight of Road America.

They always report off the fastest times they can get. These magazines often have quite a bit of time to run these cars. Sometimes they're pinched but these are big productions.

If you're trying to validate your reasoning for buying a PP2 and that it SHOULD have stuck with the GT350...don't. It doesn't matter. Just enjoy your car because a PP2 is far from a slouch.
Thanks for the info. I always wondered how much of a production the magazine articles were, or if it was just some guy on a computer collecting data and doing photoshop for days.

Also appreciate the comment regarding the PP2 vs GT350.
I absolutely love the PP2 sitting in my garage and have no regrets or "shoulda done's" going through my head at all. I feel blessed to have it.
To keep a long story short, events and circumstances "aligned" in our life that made it possible to buy a Mustang that had been just talked about for years. With a mortgage, truck payment, and the other monthly bills, the PP2 was the most performance car that we could afford. Every time it goes out it gets comments and questions from people.
I look forward to doing some autocross and/or a little track time with it this summer.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They did have the handling package with camber plate adjusted for the GT350. Not saying it would of been tied, but I’m sure it helped a bit where as the PP2 doesn’t have that option.
On street cars that go to the track, camber helps with tire wear more than performance unless you're running a full on slick like an R7. MAYBE something like an R888R or a Trofeo could benefit.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I always think that absolute speed of a car is less important and the fun factor is key. So to me if you are buying a new car - my assumption is you do that because you want a warranty. So my next thought is if you are going to the track: GT350 with the coolers. If you are not tracking the car, PP2. Not because the GT350 is faster on track or handles a little bit better, but because it won't overheat and you will enjoy your track day a lot more. And if you aren't going to the track, the PP2 is way more than enough car. Frankly I would probably go base GT if I weren't planning to track the car.
Agreed 100%.
I was seriously thinking about buying a base Mustang GT and swapping out suspension parts, tires, and wheels for autocross or track.
Then Ford announced the PP2.... I liked the looks of it and it was built from the factory with the performance that I would have wanted to build into the base model car. Plus a factory warranty.
I realize there is a lot of pride and satisfaction that goes along with building your own car, but at this point in my life I don't have a lot of extra time to wrench on cars. It was a good option for me.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
As far as suspension goes - there must be some GT350 like package that would let upgraded GT handle like if not better than stock GT350? Given GT is pretty much a donor car for GT350, availability should be pretty obvious, but I do not remember seeing anything like this.

Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
As far as suspension goes - there must be some GT350 like package that would let upgraded GT handle like if not better than stock GT350? Given GT is pretty much a donor car for GT350, availability should be pretty obvious, but I do not remember seeing anything like this.
A buddy of mine bought a GT350 at the same time we bought our PP2.
We put both of them on his 4 post lift one day to compare the suspension, etc. They were very similar except for the GT350 has the different Brembo brakes at 4 corners, plus the diff, trans, and engine oil coolers. Also, the front airflow "pan" that runs from the front splitter back under the car goes further back on the GT350 by about a foot.
I think I read a post by Porsche Dude on this forum where he said that the PP2 had unique tuning for the engine, braking, and traction control systems as well that none of the other Mustangs have.

Like you mentioned, you would think some aftermarket company or tuner would have a system of parts all put together for the standard Mustang GT. I haven't looked though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I believe the knuckle/uprights on the GT350 are different than the rest of the Mustangs. The GT350 uses heavier duty wheel bearings. And some of the other suspension components are different as well (for instance, rear springs are different so the spring pockets might be as well).

Probably the toughest things to duplicate on the GT350 would be the programming of the Magneride and the traction control / ABS systems. There is quite a difference between the regular GT and the GT350.

IMO there's not really a good reason to try to duplicate a GT350. If you want one - buy one. Otherwise, just accept your car for what it is. None of us make money with our lap times, so a couple seconds here or there don't mean much.

If I bought a newer GT350 or a GTPP2 with the Cup 2 tires, I would swap them out. IMO the Pilot SS tires on my early GT350 were the right compromise of sticky for track days and long tread life. I wouldn't want something with shorter life.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I wonder how the GT PP2 with camber plates, a similar alignment to the GT350 and for the sake of endurance a diff cooler would compare. Would the camber and alignment settings decrease that lap difference to 1 second rather than 2 seconds?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want to offend anyone, but if GT350 would have only been offered with the front end of the 18+ mustang, I would never have bought one. I hate the new front end. I would be back into an M2/M4 or something from BMW most likely; or save more money and get a F430 6 speed manual, my dream car :)

I said it before, if you don't look back at your car after you park it (anywhere), you either: a. Are not a car enthusiast, or b.You bought the wrong car. I never look back at the new mustang.

Again, just my personal opinion.... The new 350/500 cars look awesome because they still use the 16 front end.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
IMO there's not really a good reason to try to duplicate a GT350. If you want one - buy one. Otherwise, just accept your car for what it is. None of us make money with our lap times, so a couple seconds here or there don't mean much.
I disagree man. While seconds on a track are a silly reason to try and duplicate a GT350 set up on a GT, the biggest thing that the GT350 is praised for is how it drives and how much lighter it feels on its feet than a regular GT. To most people who bought a GT over a GT350, cost is an issue and may not be as easy as "just buy one", but why shouldn't one try and duplicate the driving experience on a budget. The suspension pick up points are the same, so it is doable. The knuckles and brakes are a different story, but one could always go with a 2 piece rotor and shave some unsprung mass off the car.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I wonder how the GT PP2 with camber plates, a similar alignment to the GT350 and for the sake of endurance a diff cooler would compare. Would the camber and alignment settings decrease that lap difference to 1 second rather than 2 seconds?
Camber doesn't help with lap times so much as helping with tire wear particularly with street oriented tires. For instance, toe would affect turn in more than camber.

In an endurance race, if you can keep your tires alive for one or two laps longer than the next guy, that's less time in the pits.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I disagree man. While seconds on a track are a silly reason to try and duplicate a GT350 set up on a GT, the biggest thing that the GT350 is praised for is how it drives and how much lighter it feels on its feet than a regular GT. To most people who bought a GT over a GT350, cost is an issue and may not be as easy as "just buy one", but why shouldn't one try and duplicate the driving experience on a budget. The suspension pick up points are the same, so it is doable. The knuckles and brakes are a different story, but one could always go with a 2 piece rotor and shave some unsprung mass off the car.
I agree with you 100% on the GT350 driving experience. It has the best compromise of firm but not too firm ride along with body control of any Mustang I've driven. I haven't driven the new PP2 or the PP1, though.

Having said that, I owned a 2015 base GT Mustang and had a lot of fun on the road course with it. For some odd reason, the reduced amount of body control and soft springs bothered me more during street driving than it did on track. Maybe it was because I was a novice, or some other reason. I don't know, but that car seemed tame on the street and it really woke up on the road course. I liked it a lot more after driving it on the road course.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't want to offend anyone, but if GT350 would have only been offered with the front end of the 18+ mustang, I would never have bought one. I hate the new front end. I would be back into an M2/M4 or something from BMW most likely; or save more money and get a F430 6 speed manual, my dream car :)

I said it before, if you don't look back at your car after you park it (anywhere), you either: a. Are not a car enthusiast, or b.You bought the wrong car. I never look back at the new mustang.

Again, just my personal opinion.... The new 350/500 cars look awesome because they still use the 16 front end.
For me it's the lack of coolers and the direct injected engine that make me a little less fond of the newer PP2. Also, Cup 2 tires are not what I want on my daily + track vehicle. Seems mismatched to put such extreme tires on a car without coolers.

I've driven an F430 on track. It was a Scuderia. I think they are better for street driving and having a nice looking interior honestly. And the DCT is not as fun to drive as a manual in my opinion. The new Mustangs are faster, less under steer and better grip in general. But F430s are really cool looking. Just owning a Ferrari - any Ferrari - would be awesome for the cool factor.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I own a PP2 and I love the car. It's a perfect street toy for me.

I don't know that any suspension tweaks can make up for the 65HP more the GT350 brings to the table.

I hope to keep my PP2 long term, although my history says different. Next stop would be GT350.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I own a PP2 and I love the car. It's a perfect street toy for me.

I don't know that any suspension tweaks can make up for the 65HP more the GT350 brings to the table.

I hope to keep my PP2 long term, although my history says different. Next stop would be GT350.
Noone says just suspension mods would make up for the difference GT vs 350.

It's just..... if "Shelby suspension pack" was available on the market I'd probably bought it. And it is surprising such obvious package does not exist... or the fact that there's no DIY on this kind of swap :)

Engine power and cooling is a totally different story.
Sponsored