2018 Mustang GT Whipple Gen 5 and OPG Install

Jed S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jedidiah
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Stage 2 Mustang GT
100% just do it. My car saw 9500 rpm on accident and is completely fine, I have a boundary set. Have the log to prove it.
Sponsored

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
I am not changing my OPGs, either. I am planning on low 600s WHP and stock shift points.

This is a controversial topic for sure. I called Whipple some time ago with a question about their stage 2 kit. The salesperson connected me with one of their techs. The tech told me that the tune with their stage 2 kit raises the shift points 300 rpm over stock. He said emphatically that upgraded OPGs were needed due to the increased rpm and resulting stress on the crank. He recommended the Stage 1 kit if I wasn't upgrading OPGs.
I have the stage 1 kit. 7800 is the shift point as installed out of the box.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I have the stage 1 kit. 7800 is the shift point as installed out of the box.
That makes me even more glad that I decided against Whipple and their tunes.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I certainly have no complaints, power is pretty solid and driveability is 100% OEM, just like before I had ever put the blower kit on. No revisions necessary, still running the supplied tune.

One thing I always disagreed with though was not recommend OPG's with the kit install. Which as most have pointed out adds substantial cost.

But, one thing I do enjoy, no heat soak issues or problems even when running back to back passes in 100+ degree summer heat. Post blower IAT stays at ambient temp through the entire 1/4 mile pull on my logs.

Personally, Whipple or Roush, both are good setups in my opinion. I'm glad I didn't buy the extended warranty though, a month or so and it would have been up anyhow in my case, and money wasted.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I am very surprised to hear the stage 1 Whipple tune has 7800 rpm shift points. I have always heard that their tunes have excellent drivability, though. There have been several reports of broken ring lands with their tune but since there are so many Whipple cars, the percentage with broken pistons may be small. I am glad you did the OPG and CS.

Although Ford is probably somewhat conservative, they already raised the Coyote redline to from 7000 to 7500 and I am not comfortable exceeding that on stock internals.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 3-4 is really the only gear that draws out to 7800 is looks like, the rest are close to stock. It appears in the tune they leave the anticipated shift logic enabled, which is like OEM.

Being as I have the ability to log, I run a log every pass. The tune is solid on this car anyhow, no knock retard and the total timing is very safe for the fuel i'm running.

However, I agree, there have certainly been an uptick of issues it seems on 2018+ vehicle lately, and not just from the Whipple cars....

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Oh, I forgot yours was a 2017 model. The 11:1 compression is probably safer with boost than the 12:1 on 2018+ models.

Switch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Wow your install prices are amazing! I typically do all my own work, but didn't feel like dealing with the OPG because it just looks like a pain in the ass. I got a quote to do them here at a local shop and it was $2200 just to install the OPGs. I about fell over.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Plenty of guys going low 9s, and into the mid 8s on an 18+ on stock opg/cs. I'm one of them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
10SpeedDemon

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Wow your install prices are amazing! I typically do all my own work, but didn't feel like dealing with the OPG because it just looks like a pain in the ass. I got a quote to do them here at a local shop and it was $2200 just to install the OPGs. I about fell over.
$2200? that's not even including supercharger install. Thats beyond crazy

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
$2200? that's not even including supercharger install. Thats beyond crazy
Yeah, i'll do my own. If something goes wrong after i unleash the beast atleast i'll know it was my fault.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
$2200 sounds like the cost if doing it without the SC installation. There is some overlap when doing both. I think my tech told me it would add 9 hours. They get $160 per hour so around $1500 plus the cost of the parts.

5ohcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
If I were you, I’d pay for OPG install and do the supercharger yourself. I’m not mechanically inclined, messed up the timing doing OPG/CS myself but installed the supercharger just fine. If you decide to do everything just pay attention and don’t rush. I was just in a rush to get mine done and that’s where I messed up. Besides that it was fun in a way and learned a lot.
Sponsored