Sponsored

Jesus when did tires get so dang expensive

GOM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red Ecoboost coupe
Tire tech has changed. And material costs are always on the rise. Rubber is petroleum based.
Naah, it just grows on trees.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
When I had my 2011 GT500, I learned the tire lesson. Turned factory tires to smoke and rubber clumps and then payed for new 325's in the back. $600 a piece! Never did a burnout on those tires cause I didn't want to buy new ones for a long, long while.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I ride a motorcycle and I'm lucky to get 15,000 kms out of a rear tire (slightly more from the front). That means I go through at least 1 rear tire each year, and 1 front every year and a half. I have learned to change my own tires which saves me a lot of money but even just buying the tires is $150-$250 per tire depending on which one you get. There is a lot less material there than car tires so you'd figure they'd be cheaper, but no.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The answer is about the same time everything else did. I find it amusing that this is something that would concern a group of car owners who spend thousands modding them. We can justify spending $1k for an exhaust, suspension or engine parts but then cheap out on the most important part of our cars. On top of that we do burnouts in our 400+ HP cars and complain about tire wear. IMHO if you have to buy used tires, go buy a nice used Honda Civic. :facepalm::)
Ah but the difference is a exhaust for 1k or 2k last the life of the car not 1k to 1.5k every few months. and talking used tires we are talking used that someone baught and drove for 100 miles and then took off. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks for next to new.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
used tires we are talking used that someone baught and drove for 100 miles and then took off. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks for next to new.
Agreed, I mentioned that in post #25. That said mounting different brand tires front and rear can lead to some very real handling problems. I'm not talking about driving down your road at 50 MPH either. Emergency handling can be severely compromised by not having four like tires on your car.

Ah but the difference is a exhaust for 1k or 2k last the life of the car not 1k to 1.5k every few months
Last I heard nobody ever ever crashed their car or was severely injured because of their exhaust system. The same cannot be said about tires.

And by the way, what the heck are you doing where you're changing tires three to four times a year?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Funny you can always see a divide in threads like this. Or with any car part. Always half on the yes its too much and half on the gotta spend side.
Last I heard nobody ever ever crashed their car or was severely injured because of their exhaust system. The same cannot be said about tires.

And by the way, what the heck are you doing where you're changing tires three to four times a year?
I didn't mean it literally, maybe tires once a year or two. Like new used tires aren't gonna cause any more of a crash then any other tire. Actually I doubt many crashes at all are due to tires. (racing aside and unless bald and in snow and rain or summer tires in snow) I would bet crashes are mostly driver related (cell phones, kids in back, arguing with passengers, taking eyes off road to play with radio...).

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Funny you can always see a divide in threads like this. Or with any car part. Always half on the yes its too much and half on the gotta spend side.
So true. :like::fistbump:

I didn't mean it literally, maybe tires once a year or two
Well you haven't been on this forum all that long. I'd bet there are those on here that do. I now understand you are not one of them. :)

Like new used tires aren't gonna cause any more of a crash then any other tire. Actually I doubt many crashes at all are due to tires. (racing aside and unless bald and in snow and rain or summer tires in snow) I would bet crashes are mostly driver related (cell phones, kids in back, arguing with passengers, taking eyes off road to play with radio...).
OK, i was being a little too much of of drama king. The tires themselves wouldn't have been the cause of the crash, but a set of top of the line tires could definitely help with the outcome.

I am serious about mixing different tires and/or brands. Although they may look similar under duress they could exhibit totally different handling characteristics. I've seen it first hand. I can be dangerous.

ETAGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium
I bought my 15GT in June of 2018, the Ford dealer put new Federal Formoza FD2's on it, I was thinking to myself I'm going to be replacing these tires really quick, I even called to complain how cheap they were. Well exactly 40,000 miles later I just had them rotated and balanced for the 4th time they still have 5 and 6/32's left. They grip really well in all weather conditions including snow. For 94$ a tire it's hard to beat these.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
If I don't have performance tires in excellent condition on my rims I can't be happy with the car. Shop at Tire Rack. $99-$120/Tire range you can find well engineered tires. Burn-outs don't just destroy tires they are hard on CVS / U-joints, rotating differential parts, and transmission bearings. Also I hate that smoke.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
If I don't have performance tires in excellent condition on my rims I can't be happy with the car. Shop at Tire Rack. $99-$120/Tire range you can find well engineered tires. Burn-outs don't just destroy tires they are hard on CVS / U-joints, rotating differential parts, and transmission bearings. Also I hate that smoke.

Well aren't you just a bundle of fun

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
If you think tires are expensive now...think how expensive Roman chariot wheels were when Jesus walked those streets!

Merry Christmas from our house to yours!

CVCashmere

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Well aren't you just a bundle of fun
Once you've done a burnout bad enough to where you were literally choking on your own car's tire smoke . . . there's just nothing left to prove.

And if you knew what you were doing, you could do exactly that with a 2-barrel 318 in a 3400-lb car (less than 200 net HP at the crankshaft).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
And low-reverse bands on early 1960's Torqueflite transmissions, depending on technique. The harsher your technique, the more impressive the burnout.

Norm

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Summer tires now last forever compared to the old days.

The PS4s have a 30,000 mile wear life. That’s just incredible.

$.04 a mile.
The car chassis it self is at least $.16 a mile.

Funny when you start understanding a car cost at least $.50 a mile every mile you drive.
Sponsored