Sponsored

2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Boy, how things have changed in 3 years. The zl1 beat the R in every performance metric, even tho it should be compared to the 1le as there the same price, yet everyone on this site said it should having 120+ more hp even tho it was heavier. Now the gt500 comes out with 265 more hp and beats the C8 on a track made for high hp cars and now the C8 is a failure. Can’t have it both ways.
Sure you can. Politicians do it every day and brand purists are even worse. And you'll find nobody here that does not think the GT500 CFTP should be compared directly to the ZL1 1LE. It just happened in this case that Motor Trend chose to compare it with the C8.

I'll never get people who think blowing out another's candle will make theirs glow brighter.
Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Both cars are great. Just by price alone the gt500 should and did outperform the base C8 with the z51 option. Remember the Corvette was the lower and lesser performing car at this trim level. I would be willing to wager rolls will be reversed when the C8 gets fitted with a higher priced and more performance oriented package. Each has their own fan boys, the GT 500 gets my vote simply because having a back seat doubles how much I can drive the car!

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Slow down with that common sense!!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Take the blinders off. You really think Billy didn't know what the track record was when he went there for the fastest production car is? Yes they didn't go there to specifically break the record, but you know well he was going after it while he was there. Any racer would do that, as it would be icing on the cake. And GM did the same thing. Didn't specifically go there and break it, but knew what it was and went after it.
his word vs. yours. I’ll take his.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Same price range as in compare the GT500 to say ummm NOT the base C8 and more like a Z06 C8.

Guess that went over your head. Apparently cost is hard to grasp in this thread. As are numbers in nearly every other catagory for comparisons sake aswell......

LOL!! TDS is thiick in here.
You are clueless.. I know it’s real hard but read the Motortrend article again. Read the MSRP on the cars they compared. It’s very easy to option a base C8 to well over $75-85K.

You guys keep talking about a C8 Z06 but you do realize it’s at least 18-24+ months away and nobody knows the price?

Sponsored

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
You are clueless.. I know it’s real hard but read the Motortrend article again. Read the MSRP on the cars they compared. It’s very easy to option a base C8 to well over $75-85K.

You guys keep talking about a C8 Z06 but you do realize it’s at least 18-24+ months away and nobody knows the price?
It's also very easy to option one for 66,895, with the performance package and suspension, which will weigh less and perform even better.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
right from the article. Go all the way to the bottom and click 'show all'
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/che...s-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-track-comparison/

The C8 matched or exceeded the CFTP on every metric except the lap time (+4.66 seconds). It handily surpassed the GT500 again except for the lap time (+1.32 sec). Since the C8 and GT500 were on equal tires and aero effect is probably same, we could reasonably conclude torque/hp was worth 1.3 seconds in the Mustang's favor.

Now the GT500 vs CFTP was +3.38 seconds on the lap time. So the CFTP's Cup2R, carbon wheels and aero effects was the difference. Had the C8 been shod with Cup2R and maybe carbon wheels, it probably would have clawed back around 2.5 maybe as much as 3 seconds off it's 4.66 second deficit resulting in a "corrected" disadvantage of 2.2-1.7 seconds per lap. Considering it has much smaller brakes and a LOT less power out of the motor, that's hardly surprising. The weight advantage is only worth ~80HP in any event and is still 180 shy. Not to mention comparing max HP is not useful when you're not spending much time at full throttle in the first place.

Put the C8/Z51 and the GT500 on a NASCAR oval and the lap times differences will be dramatic and the only time "destroys" would be appropriate.

Good grief where did you come up with that nonsense? How do you know what driver has what for seat time in the respective cars? Do you know when the best laps were recorded during the day and by which driver? Do you know the angle of the sun, the temp of the tarmac in 12 different corners, the hydration level of the driver(s) on the record laps, the numbers of mistakes they made on the lap and where they made them, whether they dropped a wheel or hit a curb a little too high?

There are error bars on everything especially something like this where the drivers are still learning the cars, the weather wasn't exactly hot, and even the best drivers are not inch perfect every single corner and every single lap. Both are really frakin' great cars. Frankly it's a toss up between them.

If it makes you feel better about your allegiance to Ford to declare that the CFTP "destroyed" the C8 while blithely ignoring all of the rather significant, uncontrolled variables, be my guest. I just hope you don't work in any scientific discipline.
I am not sure about the "oval". The top speed of the C8 is 194 and the GT500 only 180. Once top speed is attained, the GT500 would never be able to catch up. Lap after lap the GT500 would be behind many laps.

Robracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost with performance package
All this smack talk remembers of the 60's and early 70's, which was a fun time glade its back. but do you thing that GM Corvette is going to let Ford bet them, the new Vette has training wheels on it and when they refine it will bet the GT500 for bragging rights. But Ford is not their competition, Corvette competition are world class mid engine cars and will be the best bang for the buck again. Seriously do you think GT500 will be invited to race at 24 hours of Le Mans. It gets down to this you want a heavy from engine modern-day muscle car or a mid engine sports car that runs with European class cars.
That MT run a few laps for the best time is BS let them run a 100 laps and see who comes on top.
Ok lets face it probably 85% of us including myself can't afford either one anyway! But the smack talk and dreaming of have one is fun.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
GT500 and ZL1 should be close with edge going to GT500.

GT500 CFTP and ZLE should be close but I genuinely don't know who gets the edge. The CFTP still has the MR shocks and softer suspension bits for comfort which sacrifices some handling.

CFTP is definitely the better all around car of them all.
After the ZLE putting up a 7:16 at the 'ring and then this below for VIR Full. I am unsure of where the GT500 will fall. Those are some pretty good numbers. I am guessing it might edge out the ZLE a bit. The longer the course the more chances for errors. Being 1.5 seconds faster out of 120 seconds in a course is way slower then being .5 secords faster out of an 11 second course, percent wise.

I really like the GT500 and am glad that Ford upped their game. It will be the "fastest": maybe for awhile and they will enjoy it, like who wouldn't. The C8 is GM catching up in their "vette" game and that is good too. I really like the C8 but I have never thought that their quality control stood up well. If I had to choose, it would be the GT500 as I have never been a GM guy: only just recently.

upload_2019-12-25_8-2-58.png

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Sure you can. Politicians do it every day and brand purists are even worse. And you'll find nobody here that does not think the GT500 CFTP should be compared directly to the ZL1 1LE. It just happened in this case that Motor Trend chose to compare it with the C8.

I'll never get people who think blowing out another's candle will make theirs glow brighter.
The MT comparo came to sell subscriptions not to really compare. The vette (C8) was the giant that the Mustang has never toppled and it was their chance. Of course they had to compare to a base C8 while big brother C8 is still in diapers. So they got it while the gittin' was good. Sure the real numbers are ignored, save for one metric, but a small victory none the less. There has been a lot of chest thumping on here and rightly so, but make no mistake I am not chest thumping, I am just being realistic and looking straight at the numbers. I could care less who won. Because it is just another MT article for profit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
BTW.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone !!!!

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
After the ZLE putting up a 7:16 at the 'ring and then this below for VIR Full. I am unsure of where the GT500 will fall. Those are some pretty good numbers. I am guessing it might edge out the ZLE a bit. The longer the course the more chances for errors. Being 1.5 seconds faster out of 120 seconds in a course is way slower then being .5 secords faster out of an 11 second course, percent wise.

I really like the GT500 and am glad that Ford upped their game. It will be the "fastest": maybe for awhile and they will enjoy it, like who wouldn't. The C8 is GM catching up in their "vette" game and that is good too. I really like the C8 but I have never thought that their quality control stood up well. If I had to choose, it would be the GT500 as I have never been a GM guy: only just recently.

upload_2019-12-25_8-2-58.png
What's crazy about that list is the only cars faster than the ZLE are supercars and hyper cars. The same will be true of the CFTP car. Crazy new era we're in.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
The C8 matched or exceeded the CFTP on every metric except the lap time (+4.66 seconds). It handily surpassed the GT500 again except for the lap time (+1.32 sec). Since the C8 and GT500 were on equal tires and aero effect is probably same, we could reasonably conclude torque/hp was worth 1.3 seconds in the Mustang's favor.
Completely wrong....the base car beat the C8 by over 1 second
The "track adjustment was a 3 second advantage to the C8....3+1.5=4.5
Ford test drivers have consistently run 5 seconds faster in the CFTP....5+4.5=9.5.
Motortrend had just spent over a week testing the C8 so they had 10X as much seat time in it and ANYONE knows more seat time equals faster times...so lets just call it 1.5 seconds which is pretty fair.....9.5+1.5=11. Right?
I don't think some people understand that these cars(CFTP) has matched lap times of the Ford GT in the hands of their test drivers...
Also if you remove the speed limiter on the GT500 do you really think it wouldn't walk away from the C8 on a NASCAR oval? Really?

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Completely wrong....the base car beat the C8 by over 1 second
The "track adjustment was a 3 second advantage to the C8....3+1.5=4.5
Ford test drivers have consistently run 5 seconds faster in the CFTP....5+4.5=9.5.
Motortrend had just spent over a week testing the C8 so they had 10X as much seat time in it and ANYONE knows more seat time equals faster times...so lets just call it 1.5 seconds which is pretty fair.....9.5+1.5=11. Right?
I don't think some people understand that these cars(CFTP) has matched lap times of the Ford GT in the hands of their test drivers...
Also if you remove the speed limiter on the GT500 do you really think it wouldn't walk away from the C8 on a NASCAR oval? Really?
If this thing runs with a Ford gt then there will be a lot of people finding that extra $20K for the CFTP. I don't see how, but I'm surely hoping it will.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Ill go out on a limb and say the GT doesnt produce the times its price should LOL.

The ZR1 vette is faster for a fraction.

So saying a GT500 CFTP would be close if not faster wouldnt surprise me.
Sponsored